A contrarian View: Should He Stay of Should He Go? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A contrarian View: Should He Stay of Should He Go?

Reaction Score
Hire PP, Red Pants and HCREDreamJob1.0 again and UConn would be crazy. Hire a competent (not fired from last head coaching job or no head coaching experience) current, winning head coach and not crazy.
You are thinking crazy (didn't say you were crazy) if you think HCRE2.0 will be ok with not having 10000% autonomy on all UConn football related hires!
There isn't a winning head coach in the nation that would come here. Why would they come to a place where not winning has become habitual and the norm?

HCRE2.0 would not have a choice on giving up some autonomy if he wants to stay. It is not as if he has established himself this time around. There is no I in TEAM and that applies to the HC as well.

And no, I did not say I was crazy.

Reaction Score
If you are going to ask RE to manage the program and continue to pay minimum for coaches then you have a revolving door for the staff.

I’m not sold on RE. But not sure another coach is available, willing to come, and would put up with what RE does regarding coach pay.

If there is, then question is, is that coach better than RE? Up until now, the answer is no.

No one proven. Doesn't mean you can't find someone worth giving a shot if you're sure Edsall isn't gonna get us there

Reaction Score
There was a New York Times article awhile back that reported on a statistical study that showed that replacing FB coaches at the three year mark produced worse performance in the following years. If I can find the URL I will share it, but it is being difficult to find at the moment.

So, if true, why should that be? Well, given that in the third year of a coach's tenure, at best, he has a roster to work with that includes the first of his recruits as redshirt sophomores. Yet, because new coaches are usually hired after the preceding season has finished, the new coach is scrambling to fill a new recruiting class and ends up with only a few of his own recruits the first year. Thus it can be argued that the new coach's third season has at best a few of his own redshirt sophomores. It is not until the sixth season that a new coach is working with ALL of his own recruits, assuming they all redshirt their freshman year. Of course in desperate situations (e.g. UConn's) many recruits will not redshirt which only means their eligibility expires before they have reached their full maturity.

As galling as it may seem, the fifth season is really the first that a coach's body of work may be effectively evaluated. And really only the sixth. Thus, although I think that UConn may make a change, indeed will likely make a change, I have never been on the fire Edsall bandwagon. Changes cause too much disruption, new style of play, new playbook, a mismatch in the new style of play with the current personnel, new methods of communication, all of the above. UConn would be wise to stand pat for a couple more years even if they have the money to make a change now.

We are halfway through a five year rebuild. There have been a few signs of progress but it now appears we won't see significant results until next year at the earliest. That is a much slower trajectory than our desperate fans had hoped for but that's the way it is. Stick to the 5 year plan with Edsall. It's still our best shot IMO. Now, if Lashlee was willing to come back here I might reconsider, but that isn't happening so I'll keep bailing water on board the SS Edsall until it finds dry land or goes under once and for all.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He will get another year, no matter what happens this year. You can't continue to switch HC every couple of years and have other candidates saying "Hey I want that job". That is not a good way for those coaching to look at UConn that way.

I do think he needs to be hands off the offense or at least back off some because his way isn't working

Reaction Score
Firing Randy in year three is like shooting yourself in the foot because is still hurts from the last time you shot yourself in it. It won't help and it will likely hurt quite a bit.

Still, he's got to show meaningful progress. I'm not sure he has. Progress? Definitely. Meaningful progress for year three, I'm not so sure.

Hurt the program - christ have you looked around, "the program" has been burned to the ground and dead bodies are everywhere. The program is in shambles, you aren't making it worse by letting him go.

There is 18K announced with a gate of what 11K or so for a home game on a beautiful fall weekend for what many anticipated to be a competitive game with a chance for a W. People are choosing yard work over the game for god's sake.

Time for the AD to earn his coin. Find the money to hire a meaningful coach (coaches have hubris and many think they can fix any situation) and usher RE out the door and get someone in here than can bring in a competent staff and a modern brand of football that will get recruits and fans engaged and excited as realistically possible given the uncertainty around the program's independent status.

The ineptitude that has overrun the entire deal and that includes DB and RE is impressive really, it deserves some type of award - is there a Darwin award for Athletic Departments, if not, someone should create one and present a ceremonial plaque to DB with the inscription "Good enough is our very best".

That's frustration at the situation speaking, not frustration at your differing perspective @CL82

Reaction Score
He will get another year, no matter what happens this year. You can't continue to switch HC every couple of years and have other candidates saying "Hey I want that job". That is not a good way for those coaching to look at UConn that way.

I do think he needs to be hands off the offense or at least back off some because his way isn't working

So you don't think the head coach's plans are working for the offense and so he should back off, and that is a coach who it is better to keep? Does that mean you think his plans are working for the defense or should he get hands off on that also?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We basically have two coordinators in stretch roles.

The school is not supporting the program by spending the money to attract coaches that can actually recruit.

We have stringent admissions standards that maybe even exceed schools like Duke and Stanford. Why?

This is not an attractive job. Who would we get?
Is the admissions issues based on fact or an old anecdote? I know edsall mentioned that issue his first tenure...is it still true?

Reaction Score
Is the admissions issues based on fact or an old anecdote? I know edsall mentioned that issue his first tenure...is it still true?
Very good question. The guy that went to Temple when he wanted to come here is the last data I have seen. He killed us as I recall. Mankevitch or something like that.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hurt the program - christ have you looked around, "the program" has been burned to the ground and dead bodies are everywhere. The program is in shambles, you aren't making it worse by letting him go.

There is 18K announced with a gate of what 11K or so for a home game on a beautiful fall weekend for what many anticipated to be a competitive game with a chance for a W. People are choosing yard work over the game for god's sake.

Time for the AD to earn his coin. Find the money to hire a meaningful coach (coaches have hubris and many think they can fix any situation) and usher RE out the door and get someone in here than can bring in a competent staff and a modern brand of football that will get recruits and fans engaged and excited as realistically possible given the uncertainty around the program's independent status.

The ineptitude that has overrun the entire deal and that includes DB and RE is impressive really, it deserves some type of award - is there a Darwin award for Athletic Departments, if not, someone should create one and present a ceremonial plaque to DB with the inscription "Good enough is our very best".

That's frustration at the situation speaking, not frustration at your differing perspective @CL82
Believe me, I share it. I just think that changing football coaches every three years is always going to be a disaster. You have to wonder who would take the job if you have an established pattern of firing people before they can possibly be successful.

That said, after three years Randy should be showing more material progress. It is frustrating and worrisome that he hasn’t.

Reaction Score
I get all the impatience with Edsall but let's see how we do against Tulane. We're 34.5 point underdogs. I'll be heading down on Friday to watch us cover the spread. Our D scheme was warped against USF. Run stopping LB Gilmartin wasn't on the field in the first half "since the Bulls were a predominantly passing team"- even though it was evident they were running wild on us. He belatedly got in during third Q and stuffed a few runs. I sense we'll have a learning curve adjustment for the Green Wave.

Reaction Score
The athletic department has deprioritized football and those of us who are holding out hope for a turnaround are probably wasting our time. Like alot of you have said, in college sports, football needs to be a priority. The AD should be putting every available $$ to making the team competitive. Heck, cancel other sports if you have to.

I think that they are sticking with Randy until the program dies but if I am wrong and they do care about football, I will ask this hypothetical:

One of two things is happening - Randy is either continuing the downward spiral and if that is the case, why would we keep him for year 4 and/or 5 just to stay at the bottom? Or, Randy has stabilized the program that those before him (including him) killed and is making slight progress turning it around with slightly better players and small improvements but is moving at a snails pace. If that is the case, why couldn't a "great" coach and staff pick up from here and hit the accelerator with Randy's better players and really turn the program around?

If we are looking for another coach for what we are paying Randy, forget it. Keep Randy and let the program sink or swim with him. But if we are serious, and willing to pay big bucks, find someone who is an actual winner. Who is this coach that would want to come to this mess and how much would it cost and where are we getting the $$? I have no idea. But if the AD has $$ to spend, I am willing to bet someone is out there...hypothetically.

Reaction Score
The athletic department has deprioritized football and those of us who are holding out hope for a turnaround are probably wasting our time.

This is both true and obvious, so keep in mind what it means in a potential coaching search.

Reaction Score
There’s something that the school is not telling us. They wanted to keep the BigEast move under wraps, but word got out and it blindsided the AD. Since that day, everyone & their mother has scheduled games for 2020. UMass has added some marquee contests, while we’ve sat on our butt. Why? Was he looking for Home & Aways with top programs? too many home games? I don’t know. But he should’ve just grabbed anyP5 school he could. There’s little left.
So, what’s the plan? Is it FBS Independent or FCS independent? The NEC & Patriot League have odd number of members. Or just drop the sport. If I’m a senior in HS who committed, I’m looking elsewhere. Too much silence from the program.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That doesn't mean that adjustments can't be made. Next year an experienced OC can be brought in. Given the record so far, the HC will not have autonomy in that choice although he may have veto power if he feels a certain candidate is a totally bad fit.

This is where your logical call for the long view flies completely off the rails.

He's been a HC here for 15 years. For 15 years, he's shown the same bland offense. The same stuff that doesn't work.

3 years ago, the AD brought in a young, exciting OC who ran a fun offense. On that side of the ball, it was successful. Randy hated it and ran him off.

We have an exact example of this coach going against the very thing you're arguing for. It, literally, RECENTLY HAPPENED.

I expect Randy to stay for 2 more years, but it is in no way the correct decision.

Reaction Score
This is both true and obvious, so keep in mind what it means in a potential coaching search.
Right, that is why I said hypothetically, if the school actually cared about football. I know it ain't happening so they might as well let Randy plod along for another 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
He's been a HC here for 15 years. For 15 years, he's shown the same bland offense. The same stuff that doesn't work.
So, we think that in 8 years that the game of football has changed so dramatically that what worked in 2010 is completely inapplicable now? Yeah, I liked Lashlee's offense, and Dunn's even although I booed Dunn a couple times. I would prefer to go back to one of those. But I think that style of play is not the major problem. The major problem is the previously mentioned multiple disruptive effects of changing coaches every three years and the major collateral damage that produces on UConn's ability to recruit and retain quality players.

3 years ago, the AD brought in a young, exciting OC who ran a fun offense. On that side of the ball, it was successful. Randy hated it and ran him off.
So, do we know this as a fact or is this conjecture? It is an interesting narrative that COULD be true but it also could be pretty far off the mark since we have heard other believable conjectures. A lot of strong opinions, but so far the underpinning data are not available. In any event, after three such seasons that we have had, Randy is gonna get help with his job if he is retained. He won't have a choice.

We have an exact example of this coach going against the very thing you're arguing for. It, literally, RECENTLY HAPPENED.
Not clear what you mean here. Could you expand on this point?

zls44

Reaction Score
Not clear what you mean here. Could you expand on this point?

You were hypothesizing on what if they brought in a young OC to expand the playbook and would Randy pushback- that's EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED WITH LASHLEE!

zls44

Reaction Score
In any event, after three such seasons that we have had, Randy is gonna get help with his job if he is retained. He won't have a choice.

The only thing Randy Edsall should be getting help on is recommendations in a career change.

Reaction Score
You were hypothesizing on what if they brought in a young OC to expand the playbook and would Randy pushback- that's EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED WITH LASHLEE!
Again, conjecture unless you have data to share with us.

Reaction Score
Let the strength coach Matt King become the OC. Everyone loved his enthusiasm and high energy in the Spring so maybe he can translate that to an offense. Or maybe the OC at St. Joes in Trumbull as they just put up 56 points on New Canaan. Otherwise it's a step down for any FBS or NFL guy to come here. Sad times

Reaction Score
Let the strength coach Matt King become the OC. Everyone loved his enthusiasm and high energy in the Spring so maybe he can translate that to an offense. Or maybe the OC at St. Joes in Trumbull as they just put up 56 points on New Canaan. Otherwise it's a step down for any FBS or NFL guy to come here. Sad times
The problem isn't with the OC, the problem is with the head coach. Fire Edsall and replace him with John Dunn or TJ.

Reaction Score
Believe me, I share it. I just think that changing football coaches every three years is always going to be a disaster. You have to wonder who would take the job if you have an established pattern of firing people before they can possibly be successful.

That said, after three years Randy should be showing more material progress. It is frustrating and worrisome that he hasn’t.
Changing athletic directors every few years is bad too. I'm wondering if Benedict is going to pack his bags and leave. Ole Miss is looking for an AD.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if Benedict is going to pack his bags and leave. Ole Miss is looking for an AD.
Wait, why forsake the interim coaching opportunity? After all, operational ADs with minimal to no coaching experience frequently take on the coaching reins.

Reaction Score
Hire Pete Rossomando, NorthEast guy thats coached multiple levels in Connecticut and would understand the difficulties.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom