A Clear Leader For Next Years Team | The Boneyard

A Clear Leader For Next Years Team

Reaction Score
One thing I would like to see from next years team...Is for one of them to say get behind me I’m the WOMAN! We need a personality change in leadership. I’ve never felt like the teams of the last two years had that clear cut LEADER! You have to have Diana’s and Maya’s and Dolson’s and Tuck’s and Stewie’s and etc. Because one things for sure...that group down in South Bend clearly has one! And she was the difference!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Definitely KLS, if you play over 3/4's of the season on an ankle that has shredded tendons and gets conked in the eye by a flying elbow in the first few minutes of a game and continue to play, then you are one tough cookie. She will be the one that will tell the players what they need to do and will do it by showing them in practice and on the court.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lou is definitely more outgoing and demonstrative than Napheesa, but I think the team will belong to Crystal. She will be the one directing traffic, and quite possibly leading the huddles and what not. I could see Lou and Pheesa as co captains, but the floor general is usually one of the key leaders for any team...

Reaction Score
Lou is definitely more outgoing and demonstrative than Napheesa, but I think the team will belong to Crystal. She will be the one directing traffic, and quite possibly leading the huddles and what not. I could see Lou and Pheesa as co captains, but the floor general is usually one of the key leaders for any team...

Not really. See Moriah with Stewie and Tuck. The seniors will lead. Crystal will have her turn the year after.

Reaction Score
Crystal may call plays and direct traffic on the floor, but I think KLS will be the senior badass who won't put up with a lack of maximum effort ,or slacking on defense, or otherwise not being totally engaged, from her teammates.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Did any one mention the Katie Lou girl, she might be able to do it.:rolleyes:

I'd like her to look a little more like a leader, perhaps getting 'FOLLOW ME' tattooed on her knuckles or perhaps a scar across her left eye from a fight. Something appropriate for a leader.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I'd like her to look a little more like a leader, perhaps getting 'FOLLOW ME' tattooed on her knuckles or perhaps a scar across her left eye from a fight. Something appropriate for a leader.
Maybe an eye patch.

tarantino-elledriver-590x350.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I always have a concern with the notion of "A" leader, absent a transcendant player like Dee or Maya (though Maya's leadership was by example I believe). Clearly we have 2 leadership candidates: Crystal and Lou. Last year for much of the year there was talk about how it was Crystal's team, she had ownership, etc. On the floor Lou was the outspoken huddle leader and I expect that to continue. I'd like to see Meghan come on strong this year in every way and build toward being a floor leader, if only by inspiration, by her junior year.

All in all I think leadership is something that is hard to define and measure. If I'm a coach I want players on the floor who need look to no one for inspiration or what to do. Players who say "gimme the damn ball" and watch me work.

Reaction Score
I am going out on a limb here but hey I can only be wrong, right. Miss Williams wants to be legendary so she needs to be like Dee or Sue from day 1. It's going to be a long summer. Go Huskies.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
One thing I would like to see from next years team...Is for one of them to say get behind me I’m the WOMAN! We need a personality change in leadership. I’ve never felt like the teams of the last two years had that clear cut LEADER! You have to have Diana’s and Maya’s and Dolson’s and Tuck’s and Stewie’s and etc. Because one things for sure...that group down in South Bend clearly has one! And she was the difference!

And a little child shall lead them ... Crystal Dangerfield is the most natural leader on the team.

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be a collection of Lou (by her loud personality, which I mean in a good way), Crystal with her steadiness & running of the team & Pheesa by her actions.

I’m hoping Pheesa is soaking in her experience at USA being around DT, Sue & other vets.

We do need someone to roll the ball to and say go get a bucket in crunch time. With Lou’s inability to really take people off the dribble I’m not sure who that is. Maybe Pick n Roll with Pheesa & Lou or Pheesa & Crystal??

I’m with everyone here. We need someone to step up and demand the ball in crunch time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And a little child shall lead them ... Crystal Dangerfield is the most natural leader on the team.
Not sure about that. Irwin seems to do a lot of leading for a Soph. I think she'll take on more responsibility too over the next couple of years. Won't necessarily be on court leadership though. More locker room leadership.

Reaction Score
Not just demand the ball but create her own shot and then make the winning basket. So far this group has not been able to do it.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately, she would probably have to cover the "Follow Me" knuckle tattoo with tape, and that could mess up her outside shot. ;)

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be a collection of Lou (by her loud personality, which I mean in a good way), Crystal with her steadiness & running of the team & Pheesa by her actions.

I’m hoping Pheesa is soaking in her experience at USA being around DT, Sue & other vets.

We do need someone to roll the ball to and say go get a bucket in crunch time. With Lou’s inability to really take people off the dribble I’m not sure who that is. Maybe Pick n Roll with Pheesa & Lou or Pheesa & Crystal??

I’m with everyone here. We need someone to step up and demand the ball in crunch time.

You may need to go back and watch a few games, even on one leg she was taking people off the dribble.

Reaction Score
You may need to go back and watch a few games, even on one leg she was taking people off the dribble.
No, she was coming off ball screens & shot faking to get to the rim.

Reaction Score
I dont think it's as much "vocal" leadership as it is "put the team on my back" leadership. In the past 2 years, the team has been very focused & goal-oriented. And, Geno hasnt "softened" one bit. What the team lacks is someone willing to make the big plays down the stretch. Its as much to do with Geno and his scheme as with the players. KLS definitely can play this role. With the recent surgery, it's obvious she was much less than 100% physically and mentally in the Final 4. I wonder how much that had to do with her lack of big game capability.

Reaction Score
No, she was coming off ball screens & shot faking to get to the rim.

Yeah she is awesome at making reads but you are incorrect she was also attacking of the dribble
Ie against Shook just 1 of many examples and making the decisions necessary as the defense dictates for shots or passes. She was also used as the ballhandler in pick and roll situations with Z, Phee and Gabs due to her decision making.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah she is awesome at making reads but you are incorrect she was also attacking of the dribble
Ie against Shook just 1 of many examples and making the decisions necessary as the defense dictates for shots or passes. She was also used as the ballhandler in pick and roll situations with Z, Phee and Gabs due to her decision making.
I’m agreeing with you. She is a great decision maker! She’s just not a person you can roll the ball to, spread everyone out and tell her to take someone 1 on 1. Very few women are. It doesn’t take away how great she is but it’s just not in her game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom