A bunch of re-assuring words | The Boneyard

A bunch of re-assuring words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even the most conservative among us expected better this season. This season has been an unadulterated disaster from mid-January on; it feels like decades ago that I wrote a lengthy post forecasting a 15-3 conference record. That was an ambitious prediction at the time that looks stupid in hindsight. Things tumbled off the rails quickly, and now most of us sit here resigned to a fate in the NIT, an especially depressing proposition given the status of our senior captain, Ryan Boatright. I’m not going to tell you that you should be happy about any of this because of some blurry vision of the future that may or may not ever materialize.

But you can always scour the past for symbols and events that were predictive of future success, and as somebody who has posted here since the onset of the 2010-11 season, the posting patterns of our fellow fans are often the most telling signs of all. I cannot analyze fan behavior like Fleud can and I will not attempt to do so; however, what I have learned from watching UConn basketball is that the growing pains of young players are often misinterpreted as character deficiencies, and that the correctable weaknesses that permeate their games are extrapolated to career-limiting flaws.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the premise that this team is talent-deficient. If you want to compare this team to past UConn teams and make the case that Player X would have only played Y minutes on team Z, knock yourself out. To the extent that many of our current players appear microscopic in the shadow of their predecessors can be attributed in large part to the devolving nature of college basketball as a whole. Yes, the 2015 Huskies would be trampled by the 2002 Huskies and maybe even lesser UConn teams like the 2007 squad. I also think the 2004 championship team would slaughter this current Kentucky team; at the end of the day, it’s all an indictment on the state of the sport and not the current group of players.

UConn played Duke all but two months ago and outplayed them for the majority of the game. They outplayed Texas for all but the final five minutes. They beat a talented, albeit under-achieving Florida team on their home floor. This team has and can compete with the best rosters in the nation; no, we’re not as talented as Duke or Kentucky, and during years like this, we don’t have the experience to make up for it. But we’re talented enough that we can beat Duke or Kentucky next year and the year after they lose half their roster to the pros. Sometimes I think people on this board are under the impression that Okafor will be at Duke until he’s a senior.

As stated, there is no excuse for losing to Houston, there is no excuse for losing to Yale, and we really had no business losing that game yesterday, either. But holistically, what I see is a team whose struggles are consistent with other young teams – they can’t win on the road, they turn it over like the plague, and they are constantly undone by mental lapses on defense.

“But champs, some of these guys have played over 60 college games, and they still don’t get it.” Everybody does not develop at the same rate. I will admit that Purvis threatens me to explore hard drugs sometimes, but you know what? The kid competes defensively, he’s not afraid to put his body on the line when he drives it to the rim, and his shooting stroke isn’t completely irredeemable. Maybe he’ll never fulfill the McDonald’s all-American hype, but to think a kid with his athleticism can’t be, say, the fourth best player on a championship team? Short sighted, IMO.

No, Brimah is never going to be Kevin McHale. But sometimes, improving at the things you are never going to be good at is important as improving at the things you can be great at. Somebody like Brimah or Facey making the leap from “utterly abysmal passer” to “functional reading the floor and hitting the open man” could have a transformative impact on the overall efficiency of the offense, and it’s happened before. Jeff Adrien went from having 15 assists as a freshman to 60 as a senior. As of now, teams are trapping Boatright on high ball screens. But what if to negate that, Boatright could loft it to Facey, who puts it on the floor and fires it to the weak side before the defense can recover? He can’t do that now, but if he could, our offense could improve dramatically.

It isn’t that our players are bad, it’s that their skill sets have not evolved to fit the team. Doing such is a process that takes time, and it can be accelerated by the addition of a graduate transfer who not so much impresses individually but enables those around him to flourish. Daniel Hamilton is an offseason away from becoming the best player in the AAC; if you want a comparison, look at the season DeAndre Bembry is having for St. Joes. Brimah is the sort of player who can anchor a defense when his basketball acumen catches up to his physical gifts; given his passion for the game, I see no reason that does not happen soon. Those two – Hamilton and Brimah – are legitimate cornerstones.

The rest of this season will play out in one of two ways: we’ll either win the AAC Tournament and bow out shortly thereafter in the NCAA Tournament, or we’ll lose in the AAC Tournament and make a run in the NIT. If you think the former is a pipe dream, consider: for all our flaws, we’ve only lost one conference game at home (and that was sans Boat in the second half). Think we’ve gotten a bad whistle this season? It’s hard not to envision that changing behind a Husky crowd trying to will their team to the tournament and a league that wouldn’t mind sending another team to the tournament. The NIT would be a valuable experience for the players; a potential additional few games for kids like Brimah and Hamilton would only serve to provide them a head start on their offseason transformation.

Boatright’s exit is sure to temper the expectations of fans heading into next season, and that is fine. But Jalen Adams is among the best guard prospects in his class, and even though he will not be nearly the player Boatright is as a freshman, he figures to at the very least serve as a useful piece who can space the floor and initiate the offense.

The bottom line is that we are seeing a healthier circulation of talent than we grew used to during the era of recruiting restrictions (the Calhoun retirement didn’t help). Every player in the starting lineup will be either an NBA prospect or a highly coveted recruit. And while it’s true that most of these players can only be classified as prospects at the current juncture, this program has always excelled in making those players closer to a finished product by the time they leave campus. Last night was another frustrating step in that process, yet one that yielded hope – Brimah produced 19 and 12 against a legitimate front line, Hamilton dominated, and we were one shot from playing an overtime despite Memphis shooting at an abnormal clip and our best player being off.

Final note: many on this board have insisted that this team does not play as hard as they could. Those claims are not unfounded. However, as many great players will tell you, most young teams don’t fully understand how hard they have to play to be great. I get the sense that, minus Boatright, that holds true for this team. They don’t display any toxic habits; they’re generally pretty committed to on-ball defense, they usually crash the glass hard, and they seem to be invested in the process of winning. What they will learn, though, is that whereas you can get away with taking a play off here and there at the high school level, you can’t here. They’re going to get there.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Even the most conservative among us expected better this season. This season has been an unadulterated disaster from mid-January on; it feels like decades ago that I wrote a lengthy post forecasting a 15-3 conference record. That was an ambitious prediction at the time that looks stupid in hindsight. Things tumbled off the rails quickly, and now most of us sit here resigned to a fate in the NIT, an especially depressing proposition given the status of our senior captain, Ryan Boatright. I’m not going to tell you that you should be happy about any of this because of some blurry vision of the future that may or may not ever materialize.

But you can always scour the past for symbols and events that were predictive of future success, and as somebody who has posted here since the onset of the 2010-11 season, the posting patterns of our fellow fans are often the most telling signs of all. I cannot analyze fan behavior like Fleud can and I will not attempt to do so; however, what I have learned from watching UConn basketball is that the growing pains of young players are often misinterpreted as character deficiencies, and that the correctable weaknesses that permeate their games are extrapolated to career-limiting flaws.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the premise that this team is talent-deficient. If you want to compare this team to past UConn teams and make the case that Player X would have only played Y minutes on team Z, knock yourself out. To the extent that many of our current players appear microscopic in the shadow of their predecessors can be attributed in large part to the devolving nature of college basketball as a whole. Yes, the 2015 Huskies would be trampled by the 2002 Huskies and maybe even lesser UConn teams like the 2007 squad. I also think the 2004 championship team would slaughter this current Kentucky team; at the end of the day, it’s all an indictment on the state of the sport and not the current group of players.

UConn played Duke all but two months ago and outplayed them for the majority of the game. They outplayed Texas for all but the final five minutes. They beat a talented, albeit under-achieving Florida team on their home floor. This team has and can compete with the best rosters in the nation; no, we’re not as talented as Duke or Kentucky, and during years like this, we don’t have the experience to make up for it. But we’re talented enough that we can beat Duke or Kentucky next year and the year after they lose half their roster to the pros. Sometimes I think people on this board are under the impression that Okafor will be at Duke until he’s a senior.

As stated, there is no excuse for losing to Houston, there is no excuse for losing to Yale, and we really had no business losing that game yesterday, either. But holistically, what I see is a team whose struggles are consistent with other young teams – they can’t win on the road, they turn it over like the plague, and they are constantly undone by mental lapses on defense.

“But champs, some of these guys have played over 60 college games, and they still don’t get it.” Everybody does not develop at the same rate. I will admit that Purvis threatens me to explore hard drugs sometimes, but you know what? The kid competes defensively, he’s not afraid to put his body on the line when he drives it to the rim, and his shooting stroke isn’t completely irredeemable. Maybe he’ll never fulfill the McDonald’s all-American hype, but to think a kid with his athleticism can’t be, say, the fourth best player on a championship team? Short sighted, IMO.

No, Brimah is never going to be Kevin McHale. But sometimes, improving at the things you are never going to be good at is important as improving at the things you can be great at. Somebody like Brimah or Facey making the leap from “utterly abysmal passer” to “functional reading the floor and hitting the open man” could have a transformative impact on the overall efficiency of the offense, and it’s happened before. Jeff Adrien went from having 15 assists as a freshman to 60 as a senior. As of now, teams are trapping Boatright on high ball screens. But what if to negate that, Boatright could loft it to Facey, who puts it on the floor and fires it to the weak side before the defense can recover? He can’t do that now, but if he could, our offense could improve dramatically.

It isn’t that our players are bad, it’s that their skill sets have not evolved to fit the team. Doing such is a process that takes time, and it can be accelerated by the addition of a graduate transfer who not so much impresses individually but enables those around him to flourish. Daniel Hamilton is an offseason away from becoming the best player in the AAC; if you want a comparison, look at the season DeAndre Bembry is having for St. Joes. Brimah is the sort of player who can anchor a defense when his basketball acumen catches up to his physical gifts; given his passion for the game, I see no reason that does not happen soon. Those two – Hamilton and Brimah – are legitimate cornerstones.

The rest of this season will play out in one of two ways: we’ll either win the AAC Tournament and bow out shortly thereafter in the NCAA Tournament, or we’ll lose in the AAC Tournament and make a run in the NIT. If you think the former is a pipe dream, consider: for all our flaws, we’ve only lost one conference game at home (and that was sans Boat in the second half). Think we’ve gotten a bad whistle this season? It’s hard not to envision that changing behind a Husky crowd trying to will their team to the tournament and a league that wouldn’t mind sending another team to the tournament. The NIT would be a valuable experience for the players; a potential additional few games for kids like Brimah and Hamilton would only serve to provide them a head start on their offseason transformation.

Boatright’s exit is sure to temper the expectations of fans heading into next season, and that is fine. But Jalen Adams is among the best guard prospects in his class, and even though he will not be nearly the player Boatright is as a freshman, he figures to at the very least serve as a useful piece who can space the floor and initiate the offense.

The bottom line is that we are seeing a healthier circulation of talent than we grew used to during the era of recruiting restrictions (the Calhoun retirement didn’t help). Every player in the starting lineup will be either an NBA prospect or a highly coveted recruit. And while it’s true that most of these players can only be classified as prospects at the current juncture, this program has always excelled in making those players closer to a finished product by the time they leave campus. Last night was another frustrating step in that process, yet one that yielded hope – Brimah produced 19 and 12 against a legitimate front line, Hamilton dominated, and we were one shot from playing an overtime despite Memphis shooting at an abnormal clip and our best player being off.

Final note: many on this board have insisted that this team does not play as hard as they could. Those claims are not unfounded. However, as many great players will tell you, most young teams don’t fully understand how hard they have to play to be great. I get the sense that, minus Boatright, that holds true for this team. They don’t display any toxic habits; they’re generally pretty committed to on-ball defense, they usually crash the glass hard, and they seem to be invested in the process of winning. What they will learn, though, is that whereas you can get away with taking a play off here and there at the high school level, you can’t here. They’re going to get there.
Great analysis. I also feel though and this may be largely unsaid that the coaching staff needs some evolution too. Hopefully KO's divorce will be behind him which I feel has impacted the manner in which he has coached this year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One thing Doris Burke said really stuck with me. She mentioned how Brimah was getting consistently outmuscled in the paint, but brought up that with his shoulder surgery he couldn't use the off-season to hit the weight room and improve on his strength. Obviously that's something that can't be fine during season, either, so hopefully we see a significant improvement in Brimah's strength next year.

Reaction Score
I was always happy to read people's enthusiasm about this year but never bought into it. Too much talent drain last year left us without much shooting. No Bazz to bail us out from 30 ft. No Giff or DD to produce a spark offensively. Combine that with a championship hangover and you have another post-championship UConn year. So what. Reset and use the angst as fuel for next year. Feel for Boat but it is what it is. He will make lots of money playing basketball so I'm not overly concerned about him. Hope someone can shoot when they turn the lights on next year.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it's very simple - we don't have shooters. You need to put the ball in the hole.
The other stuff may or may not be valid i.e. Turnovers, poor transition defense, low bb IQ. But last season our rebounding was very poor and we won the NC.
I remember KO looking at the stat sheet after a game - saying I don't know how we won. We shot well, minimized turnovers and defended.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Nice job. I agree except that I think we do have a couple/few guys that may be lacking talent for this level and with a roster of 10 it has been too hard to hide those players.
I am happy with our base of Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, Brimah and Facey for next year and a deeper bench.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on this season. There are many miles to go and many games to play. People criticizing us are also criticizing the AAC. How can we lose to these guys? If three team from the AAC make the sweet sixteen and SMU reaches the Four Four and our season ends in MSG, then all of his self inspection was much ado about nothing.

Reaction Score
The jury is still out on this season. There are many miles to go and many games to play. People criticizing us are also criticizing the AAC. How can we lose to these guys? If three team from the AAC make the sweet sixteen and SMU reaches the Four Four and our season ends in MSG, then all of his self inspection was much ado about nothing.
Oddly, I agree that this season isn't over yet. We have yet to see a game where DHam, Purvis, and Boat collectively clicked. If that happens, who in the AAC can really beat us? I know I am opening myself up to more torment, but the fact that the tournament is on our home floor should make us a favorite in every game.

As for next year, this board has provided thorough analysis on just about everything but one simple, yet very important question remains unanswered..........where is this team, sans boat, going to get its points from? With boat gone, and teams now able to double dham, i am not sure this team can avg 50 pts.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The two reasons for this season not meeting most posters' expectations, were Brimah not progressing as a player as much as hoped for, and Purvis falling far short of the hype. Had these two things happened, we'd have had a very good season. It's simple.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Personally, I have been shocked at how ineffective Purvis and Calhoun have been overall. Both have had moments and you never know how players respond to injuries and extended periods on the sideline but the in effectiveness and inconsistency is just head scratching. Also disappointed with Facey's lack of development especially given his start to the season. On top of that the coaching has been abysmal lets be honest, to say the team has been unprepared for games is an understatement but the team has regressed overall during the season and that gives me pause for optimism. It's unbelievable how much can change in one season! I didn't think losing DD would go a long way to kill our season but the combination of that and the performances of Purvis and Calhoun have sunk this season. Will those two be appreciably different next year? I just don't know.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Personally, I have been shocked at how ineffective Purvis and Calhoun have been overall. Both have had moments and you never know how players respond to injuries and extended periods on the sideline but the in effectiveness and inconsistency is just head scratching. Also disappointed with Facey's lack of development especially given his start to the season. On top of that the coaching has been abysmal lets be honest, to say the team has been unprepared for games is an understatement but the team has regressed overall during the season and that gives me pause for optimism. It's unbelievable how much can change in one season! I didn't think losing DD would go a long way to kill our season but the combination of that and the performances of Purvis and Calhoun have sunk this season. Will those two be appreciably different next year? I just don't know.

Would like to see both of them be a little more decisive when they catch the ball. Boat is getting harrassed, and I feel like Purvis and Calhoun have had more opportunities to drive the ball as soon as they catch it, before the defense can get set after focusing so much on Boatright. Purvis is starting to show signs of being more aggressive on drives, which is a good thing.

Reaction Score
I think our coaching staff was lulled the same as we were with the returning players. They didn't think we needed another guard with handling ability or that Phil Nolan would be what he was or they would have maybe tried to get more help. I don't know if they had the space or not to do this I admit but they expected much more I'm sure. We were ranked 13 in one preseason poll. There were a lot of people expecting much much more, it wasn't just me.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My observations:
Hyped players are in a precarious position. If that player doesn't meet expectations many fans will turn on said player. Doesn't matter that the player never hyped himself. The venom gets directed toward said player and not the people hyping him.

Expectation are a bitch. If we have high expectations going into a season and that season doesn't turn out the way we expected we become disappointed or worse. If we start the season with low expectations we miss out on the foreplay. But this seems better than the first option for the majority of people. Better to have things brief and score than to have a long arousal and miss the climax. Me. I'm going for it all. Let's start with the foreplay each and every time because if we reach the climax we can say we had a hell of a ride.

We definitely are wired to evaluate some things more critically than others. I'm trying to get my head wrapped around why certain styles of play as well as certain types of failures by players elicit far more negativity than other types of styles or types of failures. There is a common theme throughout the years. In general players like Taliek, Jerome, Rodney and even early Bazz and early Ryan get far more negativity than other players who struggle. Why?

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Gave OP a like just because @champs99and04 made a reference about me in his body of work.:cool:

About that reference. Disagree you couldn't analyze fan behavior like me. I think you could easily surpass me. You have a terrific analytical mind and the temperament to not get caught in the drama people create. My advice is to avoid it unless you can continuously weigh the positive in people greater than the negative. Otherwise it won't just be Rodney that could lead you to explore hard drugs.

As an aside. I don't analyze each and every poster. In fact I rarely analyze any posters. Periodically this forum gets "untracked" and when it does there is an increase in tension between members that starts to disrupt, what I consider, a terrific community of people. To me there is no difference between a player with a bad handle and a conversation or post with a bad attitude. They both are important and they both can lead to failure. Now not every player has to have a great handle. Teams don't need it. But they do require a minimum of good handlers. And thus when I see the board or a particular poster spiraling out of control I'll try to offer some coaching to improve things. Even though I would prefer things to be "perfect" in this forum they certainly don't have to be.

I also think the Boneyard (all the forums) is populated by a large number of intelligent and thoughtful people. With all of our differences we manage to evaluate any discussion thoroughly. Certainly our testosterone gets in the way sometimes. But a good back and forth smack talk or smack down isn't always bad.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
One thing Doris Burke said really stuck with me. She mentioned how Brimah was getting consistently outmuscled in the paint, but brought up that with his shoulder surgery he couldn't use the off-season to hit the weight room and improve on his strength. Obviously that's something that can't be fine during season, either, so hopefully we see a significant improvement in Brimah's strength next year.

This was also a concern of mine last offseason. The surgery didn't allow for him to bulk up properly and work on his post game. I hope he's healthy heading into this offseason and can do both of those things this summer.

Reaction Score
Gave OP a like just because @champs99and04 made a reference about me in his body of work.:cool:

About that reference. Disagree you couldn't analyze fan behavior like me. I think you could easily surpass me. You have a terrific analytical mind and the temperament to not get caught in the drama people create. My advice is to avoid it unless you can continuously weigh the positive in people greater than the negative. Otherwise it won't just be Rodney that could lead you to explore hard drugs.

As an aside. I don't analyze each and every poster. In fact I rarely analyze any posters. Periodically this forum gets "untracked" and when it does there is an increase in tension between members that starts to disrupt, what I consider, a terrific community of people. To me there is no difference between a player with a bad handle and a conversation or post with a bad attitude. They both are important and they both can lead to failure. Now not every player has to have a great handle. Teams don't need it. But they do require a minimum of good handlers. And thus when I see the board or a particular poster spiraling out of control I'll try to offer some coaching to improve things. Even though I would prefer things to be "perfect" in this forum they certainly don't have to be.

I also think the Boneyard (all the forums) is populated by a large number of intelligent and thoughtful people. With all of our differences we manage to evaluate any discussion thoroughly. Certainly our testosterone gets in the way sometimes. But a good back and forth smack talk or smack down isn't always bad.
I promoted Boatright at the expense of Bazz before Boat stepped on the court in a Husky uni. In retrospect how did that turn out? Bazz turned into my favorite player ever at UConn bar none. Puts things in perspective....and this from a guy who watches almost every college hoops game nationally.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This was also a concern of mine last offseason. The surgery didn't allow for him to bulk up properly and work on his post game. I hope he's healthy heading into this offseason and can do both of those things this summer.

I was worried too, but he's shown tremendous improvement in some areas. Much more than I thought he would because of the surgery. In fact, he's looked so good at times that it's easy to forget how much the shoulder impacted his offseason. Hopefully he bulks up and makes the leap that many of our great players did from sophomore to junior year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Would like to see both of them be a little more decisive when they catch the ball. Boat is getting harrassed, and I feel like Purvis and Calhoun have had more opportunities to drive the ball as soon as they catch it, before the defense can get set after focusing so much on Boatright. Purvis is starting to show signs of being more aggressive on drives, which is a good thing.
No one knows nyscooby.

But I believe Rico444's statement is the salient point for all the players. The indecisiveness imo, is the result of the players trying to readjust their natural tendencies to what the coaches consider a superior form of execution. OC tends to want to shoot it just from the perimeter. He did this under JC and JC continuously tried to get him to drive to the basket or use a mid range shot. KO is insisting on this from him as well. Same with RP.

You see KF and AB as regressing and to some degree you are correct. I see the staff trying to develop them into better players by deconstructing their natural predispositions and adding to their repertoire of plays. AB needs to be on the floor. He's shown an ability to score this season in a variety of ways that weren't there last year. Who would argue that his shot blocking skills are far superior to most players in college bb but his rebounding skills are inferior to most players his height. So what are the coaches working on with him. Staying out of foul trouble and getting into position for rebounds. And that's what happened at Memphis albeit at the detriment to his shot blocking and defense. I'm optimistic he will put it all together eventually most likely in the near future because he's shown an incredible ability to learn things quickly.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Great analysis. I also feel though and this may be largely unsaid that the coaching staff needs some evolution too. Hopefully KO's divorce will be behind him which I feel has impacted the manner in which he has coached this year.
yeah, there are somethings that needs to be fixed and im sure that the divorce is bothering him... but this is a season that you know ollie is going to spend the entire offseason watching every video of every game, new practice drills, what to do to help the kids mentally, and hit the recruiting trail hard... it's not always going to be roses but with almost everyone coming back it'll be a stressful but fun time

Reaction Score
I think next season we could see a significant improvement in this team. All you have to do is look back at last year's team. That team improved from 34% to 39% in three point shooting. Mainly because DD went from 31% to 42% and NG went from 29% to 48%. This was huge. Also the team improved its free throws from 74 to 78% and 90's in the tour. FG and RB were about the same year over year.

This year's team FG and RB are about the same as last year but three pt shooting is down even while RB has improve significantly. FT is down almost 10% points.

I haven't given up on Facey as an offensive threat. I think there is a ton of potential, same with RP. Add a year's growth to DH and AB this could be a VG team next year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No one knows nyscooby.

But I believe Rico444's statement is the salient point for all the players. The indecisiveness imo, is the result of the players trying to readjust their natural tendencies to what the coaches consider a superior form of execution. OC tends to want to shoot it just from the perimeter. He did this under JC and JC continuously tried to get him to drive to the basket or use a mid range shot. KO is insisting on this from him as well. Same with RP.

You see KF and AB as regressing and to some degree you are correct. I see the staff trying to develop them into better players by deconstructing their natural predispositions and adding to their repertoire of plays. AB needs to be on the floor. He's shown an ability to score this season in a variety of ways that weren't there last year. Who would argue that his shot blocking skills are far superior to most players in college bb but his rebounding skills are inferior to most players his height. So what are the coaches working on with him. Staying out of foul trouble and getting into position for rebounds. And that's what happened at Memphis albeit at the detriment to his shot blocking and defense. I'm optimistic he will put it all together eventually most likely in the near future because he's shown an incredible ability to learn things quickly.
i remember brimah saying in an interview that they want him to hit the jumper more often but he doesnt like that because he feels it's soft and wants to go down low... i think the staff sees he has potential with the jumpshot bc he doesnt have the footskill or weight yet to go down low...I dont think you can say anything really about facey given only a small size sample, i like what i see but would like to see more plays for him... brimah works hard for the ball downlow the team just doesnt get him the ball... agreed with the indecisiveness about omar and purvis, seems 80% of the time they dont want to help boat out or are quick to get rid of the ball... the need to be more confident and i think it has to do with their mental game, when they turn it over they dont want to mess up again

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I promoted Boatright at the expense of Bazz before Boat stepped on the court in a Husky uni. In retrospect how did that turn out? Bazz turned into my favorite player ever at UConn bar none. Puts things in perspective....and this from a guy who watches almost every college hoops game nationally.
This demonstrates that you sir are obviously not one of the intelligent members. :cool: All kidding aside, Ryan is on par with Bazz imo. If he had a junior Bazz, a junior DD, a senior NG, a post grad LK and most importantly a rapping TylerO I believe your prediction might have turned out correctly. But alas, the rapper is no longer on the team.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
i remember brimah saying in an interview that they want him to hit the jumper more often but he doesnt like that because he feels it's soft and wants to go down low... i think the staff sees he has potential with the jumpshot bc he doesnt have the footskill or weight yet to go down low...I dont think you can say anything really about facey given only a small size sample, i like what i see but would like to see more plays for him... brimah works hard for the ball downlow the team just doesnt get him the ball... agreed with the indecisiveness about omar and purvis, seems 80% of the time they dont want to help boat out or are quick to get rid of the ball... the need to be more confident and i think it has to do with their mental game, when they turn it over they dont want to mess up again
I've noticed, albeit in just a small increment, that players besides DHam are trying to do what DHam is doing with AB. The attempts are increasing but the execution just isn't there currently.

KF was a weapon earlier in the season to get offensive rebounds. My opinion is that the staff wants to see him execute better on the perimeter, but as you state the sample size is small. In addition he still gets lost trying to figure out what the staff wants and how to adjust when opposing players and team mates are not in the exact same position that he saw in practice. AB was in a similar situation last season and Bazz constantly coached him where to be on the floor, but Bazz had the luxury of taking that time because the majority of the players on the floor knew what to do and he could focus on the one undeveloped player. This in not the case with this years team where essentially everybody other than Ryan has to integrate their play into the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom