A Boneyard Top 25? | The Boneyard

A Boneyard Top 25?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given all the recent grief we've been getting from various talking heads and written previews, I thought it would be interesting to see how we UConn fans actually think we stack up against the rest of the country.

What I'm calling for is an assembly of top 25 rankings submitted by members of the boneyard, and put together to give a pulse of the Boneyard, and if it catches on, keep it going during the season. I personally think it's an interesting idea, although I definitely see why some posters here who are allergic to preseason rankings would not want to do this. Still, I think it's worth a try.

Reaction Score
Too lazy. Just take any of these fake polls and put us anywhere between 15-25.

Reaction Score
BY Top 25? I was thinking:

1) Fishy (yeah I kiss a**)
T-2) Deepster/Brother swami (yep Team Fishy)
T3) All the other mod's

You guys fill in the rest as if it matters LOL

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. Virginia
4. Kansas
5. Gonzaga
6. Duke
7. Kentucky
8. Oklahoma
9. Iowa State
10. California
11. Utah
12. Villanova
13. Indiana
14. Arizona
15. UConn
16. Notre Dame
17. West Virginia
18. SMU
19. LSU
20. Texas A&M
21. Baylor
22. Michigan St.
23. Vanderbilt
24. Syracuse
25. Cincinnati

Reaction Score
Given all the recent grief we've been getting from various talking heads and written previews, I thought it would be interesting to see how we UConn fans actually think we stack up against the rest of the country.

What I'm calling for is an assembly of top 25 rankings submitted by members of the boneyard, and put together to give a pulse of the Boneyard, and if it catches on, keep it going during the season. I personally think it's an interesting idea, although I definitely see why some posters here who are allergic to preseason rankings would not want to do this. Still, I think it's worth a try.
After this years final four it will go as so. 1 UCONN 2 Maryland 3 UNC 4 Az

Curiouser
Reaction Score
BY Top 25? I was thinking:

1) Fishy (yeah I kiss a**)
T-2) Deepster/Brother swami (yep Team Fishy)
T3) All the other mod's

You guys fill in the rest as if it matters LOL
4) Mau (shameless "like" bait)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Maryland
2. North Carolina
3. Duke
4. Iowa State
5. Virginia
6. Kansas
7. Kentucky
8. Villanova
9. Utah
10. Indiana
11. Oklahoma
12. Gonzaga
13. Wichita State
14. Arizona
15. Cal
16. Notre Dame
17. Michigan State
18. LSU
19. SMU
20. Baylor
21. West Virginia
22. UConn
23. Texas A&M
24. Cincy
25. Butler

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to DogNoseCold?

Reaction Score
Might as well give in, and I'd be lying if I said I never thought it'd be interesting to rank posters. Off the top of my mind (and forgetting some people):

1. Fishy - no explanation needed
2. tcf- does more than pretty much anyone
3. Deepster- the judge
4. 3 - connected to recruiting and a world of potential in the field
5. champs - amazing writer and basketball mind
6. 99 - well connected, despite some grammar issues
7. mau- well known and respected poster
8. jfuchs - 2-time Husky summer league winner
9. Fleudy - philosopher
10. chief - Andre Drummond

Reaction Score
I love this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the MAN!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

We should set up a point system and grade the rankings at the end of the season. The poster with the most points gets a prize! Lets do it folks!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. Virginia
4. Kansas
5. Gonzaga
6. Duke
7. Kentucky
8. Oklahoma
9. Iowa State
10. California
11. Utah
12. Villanova
13. Indiana
14. Arizona
15. UConn
16. Notre Dame
17. West Virginia
18. SMU
19. LSU
20. Texas A&M
21. Baylor
22. Michigan St.
23. Vanderbilt
24. Syracuse
25. Cincinnati

Great due diligence brodie!!!!!!!! Keep up the grind!!!!!!! :) Of course mine differ greatly!

Reaction Score
I will give it a shot. Mine is likely to be more radical than most, but this is the most middle-heavy year of college basketball I can remember in all my time following the sport (in other words, if I rank one team #2 and one #21, it doesn't necessarily mean I think one is way better than the other). This is just a rough copy that is likely to be changed quite a bit between now and November, but it isn't without thought - I literally went back and looked at the Rivals top 150 from the last five years and distributed the various players to different teams in an excel document (with their kenpom ranking from last next to it). I've been trying to come up with a formula to weigh all the different variables but I'm not exactly the mathematical type - if somebody on the boneyard wants to give it a try I'll gladly send them the information. Anyway, here goes:

1. UNC - Easy pick in my opinion, they're loaded with talent and experience.
2. UConn - Call me a homer, I try as hard as I can to eliminate bias when I do these things. But this team is loaded.
3. Virginia - If Anderson hadn't declared, they're likely #1.
4. Gonzaga - They might be the only team in the country with two potential first team all-Americans, their front court is nasty.
5. Villanova - Josh Hart might be one of the most underrated players in America.
6. Kansas - A lot of this hinges on how good Diallo is. I think Perry Ellis is overrated.
7. Kentucky - Ridiculously talented, lost a ton of players...just kind of threw my hands up in the air on this one.
8. Duke - Ditto.
9. Oklahoma - Not entirely sold on the coach, but great infrastructure in place.
10. Iowa State - They would have been higher if Hoiberg was back.
11. Wichita State - Strong argument for them to be higher.
12. Michigan - I'm a huge John Beilein fan, this roster reminds me a lot of our 2014 team.
13. Syracuse - Get ready for a bounce back year.
14. Maryland - As you can see, I'm a lot lower on them than most. I don't think Stone is a huge difference maker right away, Sulaimon comes with a lot of baggage, and Turgeon gives me pause. They also lost Dez Wells from a team that wasn't as good as people thought last year.
15. California - Lot of talent, Cuonzo Martin has shown some stuff.
16. Georgetown - Point guard play is the one question.
17. Cincinnati - Keep an eye on Gary Clark to have a big year. You know the defense is going to be really good.
18. Texas - There is a lot of talent on this roster, I'm interested in seeing how Shaka Smart uses it.
19. Michigan State - Denzel Valentine has a lot of Draymond Green 2012 potential.
20. Arizona - Possibly the most talent in the country after Kentucky and Duke, but I think they take a step back.
21. Butler - They return a lot from a team that was an eye lash from the sweet sixteen.
22. Baylor - Scott Drew is quietly decent despite the rep.
23. Indiana - They could be higher, but Blackmon's injury gives me pause, and they played playground basketball last year.
24. Notre Dame - There may not be a tougher two man game in the country to stop than the one Demetrius Jackson and Zach Aguste will have going. As usual, the question will be on the other end.
25. SMU - I would have them higher if I was confident Brown was healthy.

There are a whole bunch of teams who just missed the cut who could dance beyond the first weekend.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Do I get credit for hosting fantasy sports and being the creator of the Pizza Thread? Or am I off on the topic of this thread...

Reaction Score
I will give it a shot. Mine is likely to be more radical than most, but this is the most middle-heavy year of college basketball I can remember in all my time following the sport (in other words, if I rank one team #2 and one #21, it doesn't necessarily mean I think one is way better than the other). This is just a rough copy that is likely to be changed quite a bit between now and November, but it isn't without thought - I literally went back and looked at the Rivals top 150 from the last five years and distributed the various players to different teams in an excel document (with their kenpom ranking from last next to it). I've been trying to come up with a formula to weigh all the different variables but I'm not exactly the mathematical type - if somebody on the boneyard wants to give it a try I'll gladly send them the information. Anyway, here goes:

1. UNC - Easy pick in my opinion, they're loaded with talent and experience.
2. UConn - Call me a homer, I try as hard as I can to eliminate bias when I do these things. But this team is loaded.
3. Virginia - If Anderson hadn't declared, they're likely #1.
4. Gonzaga - They might be the only team in the country with two potential first team all-Americans, their front court is nasty.
5. Villanova - Josh Hart might be one of the most underrated players in America.
6. Kansas - A lot of this hinges on how good Diallo is. I think Perry Ellis is overrated.
7. Kentucky - Ridiculously talented, lost a ton of players...just kind of threw my hands up in the air on this one.
8. Duke - Ditto.
9. Oklahoma - Not entirely sold on the coach, but great infrastructure in place.
10. Iowa State - They would have been higher if Hoiberg was back.
11. Wichita State - Strong argument for them to be higher.
12. Michigan - I'm a huge John Beilein fan, this roster reminds me a lot of our 2014 team.
13. Syracuse - Get ready for a bounce back year.
14. Maryland - As you can see, I'm a lot lower on them than most. I don't think Stone is a huge difference maker right away, Sulaimon comes with a lot of baggage, and Turgeon gives me pause. They also lost Dez Wells from a team that wasn't as good as people thought last year.
15. California - Lot of talent, Cuonzo Martin has shown some stuff.
16. Georgetown - Point guard play is the one question.
17. Cincinnati - Keep an eye on Gary Clark to have a big year. You know the defense is going to be really good.
18. Texas - There is a lot of talent on this roster, I'm interested in seeing how Shaka Smart uses it.
19. Michigan State - Denzel Valentine has a lot of Draymond Green 2012 potential.
20. Arizona - Possibly the most talent in the country after Kentucky and Duke, but I think they take a step back.
21. Butler - They return a lot from a team that was an eye lash from the sweet sixteen.
22. Baylor - Scott Drew is quietly decent despite the rep.
23. Indiana - They could be higher, but Blackmon's injury gives me pause, and they played playground basketball last year.
24. Notre Dame - There may not be a tougher two man game in the country to stop than the one Demetrius Jackson and Zach Aguste will have going. As usual, the question will be on the other end.
25. SMU - I would have them higher if I was confident Brown was healthy.

There are a whole bunch of teams who just missed the cut who could dance beyond the first weekend.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the national landscape. Great job bro. Have a good1....!

Reaction Score
1. UNC
2. Kentucky
3. Gonzaga
4. Duke
5. Virginia
6. Maryland
7. Kansas
8. Shockers
9. Utah
10. OU
11. CAL
12. ISU
13. Nova
14. Arizona
15. UConn
16. Indy
17. Michigan State
18. SMU
19. Michigan
20. Baylor
21. Purdue
22. Cincy
23. Texas A&M
24. Texas
25. FSU

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 not sold on Cal? Sr. Naismith candidate with a lot of talent around him. Sounds familiar.

To be honest I completely forgot the Pac 12 existed until I was around #20, so if it seems like the conference got shafted as a whole (Utah not ranked, UCLA not ranked, Arizona and Cal on the low side), it probably did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom