A Bob Diaco Masterpiece | The Boneyard

A Bob Diaco Masterpiece

Reaction Score
To be the head coach at a school with a $75 million dollar budget and have a class that doesn’t generate even an NFL tryout is pretty impressive.

A pox on every school that hires him.
You should have said that while he was at ND.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Throw Pasqualoni and his uptick in the garbage too.

UConn could go into the season with only 3-4 players on NFL rosters all recruited by Edsall with 7 classes between Pasqualoni and Diaco combined for a goose egg.

Reaction Score
Look at the 2002 UConn roster where an immense load of talent - at our respective newby level - were Sophs & Fr. Not Orlovsky. But LBs & OL & WR & RBs (many).

I don’t think Edsall has lost his evaluation talent. I love the Spanos hire. Yes - Wholley/Cox/Crocker crapped out.

It’s still April.

Then. PP & Diaco in contrast is woeful.

Reaction Score
There will now be an update of the 70's classic....The Peter Principle.

How Diaco sparked talks of dropping football...Diaxit

It’s crazy how he parlayed coaching a defense filled with all stars into millions of dollars. He has not shown he can coach up a team (or defense for that matter), he can only coach a roster constructed of all stars at every position.

Reaction Score
Look at the 2002 UConn roster where an immense load of talent - at our respective newby level - were Sophs & Fr. Not Orlovsky. But LBs & OL & WR & RBs (many).

I don’t think Edsall has lost his evaluation talent. I love the Spanos hire. Yes - Wholley/Cox/Crocker crapped out.

It’s still April.

Then. PP & Diaco in contrast is woeful.

I don’t think he has either but now he is losing those diamonds to other schools because UCONN is in a horrid conference and is a terrible team.

I still think he has received commitments from some players who have pro potential.

Looks like HCRE is adjusting to the transfer talent pool and will start taking more from there.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he has either but now he is losing those diamonds to other schools because UCONN is in a horrid conference and is a terrible team.

I still think he has received commitments from some players who have pro potential.

Looks like HCRE is adjusting to the transfer talent pool and will start taking more from there.

I dunno

2002 is not UConn 2019. But there was no assurance the BE was going to flourish; Miami was always threatening to leave; and who knew if Connecticut ever would have a Football culture that could fill the Rent ... or even tailgate.

I look sideways - scary - at when Temple was suck eggs & Rutgers. Nothing about our Football status today is easy. Only belief that the 5 youngsters that played Secondary last year can grow; that we have a LB or 2 or 6; that Travis Jones + Pace/Uguak etc can plug etcetc

This requires a resilience not common in a fan.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Worth revisiting this article where Diaco raved about his first class (2014) for a few gems.

CT POST said:
While the two major college football recruiting websites didn't give the UConn Huskies very high marks for their incoming 2014 class, new head coach Bob Diaco is sky-high over his 16 newcomers.

Diaco was convinced -- and convinced many of us -- that he saw things others didn't see. We wanted the Edsall "diamond in the rough" philosophy and he fed it to us like fish cakes.

CT POST said:
Scout.com had the Huskies 11th (last) in their AAC rankings and 121st overall, the first time since 2002 that a UConn class was not ranked in the top 100 by Scout.com.

Last year, Scout.com rated UConn's class third in the AAC and 56th overall while Rivals.com ranked the Huskies fifth in the AAC and 61st overall.

Does the drop-off bother Diaco? Not in the slightest.

"We put virtually no, zero, nada thought into who has what star, who we should recruit based on that information ¦ zero," Diaco said. "We have our needs. You could be a four-star recruit at cornerback but if we don't need a cornerback, then you don't have value to UConn. The value is in what our needs are."

That's right. We put no, zero, nada regard into a somewhat flawed but generally accurate way of separating the quality of recruits into tiers. In fact, don't look at the stars of ANY of our players. We've evolved beyond stars.

And perhaps my favorite pair of quotes from that article:
CT POST said:
"We're very excited about the class," Diaco said on a conference Wednesday afternoon. "We went with the right kind of guys. Guys that have strong grades, high character, guys that have tough reports. And all of them happen to be big guys. When you can recruit a big guy, you have a better chance."

Then, a few paragraphs later ...

CT POST said:
Several recruiting websites have Newsome rated as a "four-star" recruit, which would give the Huskies their first four-star player at least since 2002, when Scout.com and Rivals.com started rating players.

"I'm not concerned about his size at all," Diaco said.

That's right, folks. You have to get bigger to get better unless you're getting smaller, because obviously size is not a concern.

How we didn't see the extent of this train wreck coming, I don't know. But it does seem safe to say, in 2019, that Diaco's eye for talent was not quite as good as his understanding of his audience.

Reaction Score
First clue, his 2014 qb press conference, second clue, identifying the 2014 season as exhibition, third clue, his incessant use of fake punts often multiple times in the same game, fourth clue, his refusal to run punts back, fifth clue, his game plan against Tulane in the rain, sixth clue, his treatment of Whitmer after the army game in yankee stadium, seventh clue, pulling off the red shirt for Donovan Williams in the ninth game of an abysmal season, eighth clue, his refusal to consider an AD recommended OC after that season, ninth clue, this picture-what a fraudulent buffoon.

Attachments

• 37E3419D-7AF5-441A-BC77-348CE846F7BE.jpeg
    37E3419D-7AF5-441A-BC77-348CE846F7BE.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 149
Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First clue, his 2014 qb press conference, second clue, identifying the 2014 season as exhibition, third clue, his incessant use of fake punts often multiple times in the same game, fourth clue, his refusal to run punts back, fifth clue, his game plan against Tulane in the rain, sixth clue, his treatment of Whitmer after the army game in yankee stadium, seventh clue, pulling off the red shirt for Donovan Williams in the ninth game of an abysmal season, eighth clue, his refusal to consider an AD recommended OC after that season, ninth clue, this picture-what a fraudulent buffoon.
Beautiful

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you go back you’ll find I destroyed him for his T’ao lying. And called for him to be fired 30 minutes into his UConn career.

Something something broyles award.
Well yeah but you pretty much call for everyone to be fired 30 minutes into their UConn careers so...

That said, did you really? Do you have a link? Just because that would be funny to read. I never liked his patter but 30 minutes in pretty much any coach still has that new car smell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Haha perfect! I love the obvious hate as well. Need to add the Navy meltdown/inability to get a play off in there somewhere.

(Also if the one at far left has any eligibility left we could probably use the help o-line.)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well yeah but you pretty much call for everyone to be fired 30 minutes into their UConn careers so...

That said, did you really? Do you have a link? Just because that would be funny to read. I never liked his patter but 30 minutes in pretty much any coach still has that new car smell.

Well they keep hiring losers. So I keep calling for them to go. The losers they hire are so bad - it doesn’t take long to sniff them out.

If you feel like searching Danny Hurley you’ll see I talked him up when he was still at Wagner. He could act like less of a jackarse at times - but it’s not that hard to identify the fact he can coach.

I’m talking about halftime of the BYU game being 30 minutes into his hiring in a now deleted thread.

Reaction Score
I dunno

2002 is not UConn 2019. But there was no assurance the BE was going to flourish; Miami was always threatening to leave; and who knew if Connecticut ever would have a Football culture that could fill the Rent ... or even tailgate.

All those kids that came in 2002 knew they were playing Rutgers/Syracuse/BC/ ect…..REALLY GOOD REGIONAL football. Family could get to road games and all that. Im all for optomism, but its really apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
You forgot the Navy debacle. Mismanaged clock, timeouts, and play calling. The tipping point for both the fan base and the players. Diaco’s last stand.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Zero players drafted. Same amount as UDFA signed as CCSU. Slightly-less-terrible UMass had far more players drafted/signed than UConn. Buffalo (!!) looks like a SEC program compared to UConn.

Sadly, we won't be completely out of the woods from the past terrible regimes for a few years. Man, our program has fallen so flat. Penny pinching football generates these kinds of uninspired results. Horrendous.

Reaction Score
Zero players drafted. Same amount as UDFA signed as CCSU. Slightly-less-terrible UMass had far more players drafted/signed than UConn. Buffalo (!!) looks like a SEC program compared to UConn.

Sadly, we won't be completely out of the woods from the past terrible regimes for a few years. Man, our program has fallen so flat. Penny pinching football generates these kinds of uninspired results. Horrendous.

Our situation today has absolutely nothing to do with penny pinching.

Reaction Score
And people have blamed the poor performance the past 2 years on Edsall. It is pretty clear that the cupboard was bare. If a coach inherited the Diaco roster at many schools, he would have loaded up on JUCOs and transfers to turn things around quicker. Fortunately or unfortunately, UConn does not allow that strategy, so you have to build the roster over multiple years. Compounding the problem is that UConn has to recruit development players, not ready to play players.

The one thing I think UConn needs to do differently is to spend money on the OC so that we can attract and develop good QBs. Having a solid QB year in and year out solves many problems.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

They don’t have a UDFA - Pindell has an invite to try out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom