A Bit Contrarian | The Boneyard

A Bit Contrarian

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Been a pleasure to watch Sanogo develop and his efficiency for scoring .

That being said...................................................

I don't think the dump the ball in to Sanogo, watch him do his stuff and score, is best for this team.

When UConn does run an offensive set and gets the ball to Sanogo, all the other players stand still, and it's either a hoop (pretty high percentage), or it's a defensive rebound. When the ball goes to Adama offensive motion stops. And I don't think that is good for this year's team.

There is a big enough problem of UConn players stopping motion when Bouk gets the ball; Sanogo in the post is a double stop offensive movement.

I think this team's deepest progression in the tourney is based on motion and multiple scorers. I'll go contrarian and suggest UConn goes further with a 5 out offense and Whaley shooting threes than they do with dumping the ball in to Sanogo and getting short made shots.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The problem is you have to keep the floor spread when you play through the post. Sanogos vision and pace has to improve as well, he let's the defense set before he goes to work.

Which is what I brought up. Sanogo is a black hole. And that's bee good statistically. He's efficient scoring when he gets the ball in the post.

I'm not convinced Sanogo's scoring is good overall for this year's UConn team. His efficiency is a ball stopper. Sanogo isn't getting 3-4 assists passing the ball out of the post.

Reaction Score
Where was the ball movement we saw in the DePaul game? Whaley hitting a couple threes instead of being afraid to shoot could've opened up the floor. The ball movement was bad. Everything seemed rushed and out of control. The Georgetown blowout of Creighton added salt to the wounds of our loss.

Reaction Score
I think it was obvious yesterday we needed Sanogo in the game. Whenever he went out Creighton would start to control the game it felt like. When he was on the court it seemed like what we did would dictate the outcome instead of playing Creighton’s game.

Yesterday Sanogo was our best chance. Other games, maybe not as much. It was just how the game unfolded. Didn’t seem like they had an answer for him.

Stinks Dan had to manage his minutes down the stretch due to foul trouble.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think it was obvious yesterday we needed Sanogo in the game. Whenever he went out Creighton would start to control the game it felt like. When he was on the court it seemed like what we did would dictate the outcome instead of playing Creighton’s game.

Yesterday Sanogo was our best chance. Other games, maybe not as much. It was just how the game unfolded. Didn’t seem like they had an answer for him.

Stinks Dan had to manage his minutes down the stretch due to foul trouble.

So, I agree UConn with a good Adama and a good AJ is better than a UConn without either one of them or both of them.

I think I like UConn dumping the ball to Adama with 8 seconds than initiating offense through Adama.

Reaction Score
So, I agree UConn with a good Adama and a good AJ is better than a UConn without either one of them or both of them.

I think I like UConn dumping the ball to Adama with 8 seconds than initiating offense through Adama.
I mean yeah, I don't disagree with you. I just don't think that after yesterdays game is the best time to raise this point when he was arguably one of the important players in the game. He had 13 points in 21 minutes played. Bouk had 14 in 33 minutes. Cole went for 5 points in 30 minutes. Point being, he was our best source of offense. Beyond stats, the game completely swung towards Creighton a few times when Sanogo had to sit on the bench.

Reaction Score
The team is a not a good half court offensive team. They must, must , must push the ball up to create advantage and crash the boards. Sanogo created the false sense they could sustain a half court style play with everybody hanging out on the perimeter. They sped up for the first 10 in the 2nd then went back into slow roll possessions. I know nobody wants to hear it, but I think Hurley once again got tempo dictated to him.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We are 10000x better off with Adama going up vs 3 guys than Adama trying to pass

Reaction Score
Been a pleasure to watch Sanogo develop and his efficiency for scoring .

That being said...................................................

I don't think the dump the ball in to Sanogo, watch him do his stuff and score, is best for this team.

When UConn does run an offensive set and gets the ball to Sanogo, all the other players stand still, and it's either a hoop (pretty high percentage), or it's a defensive rebound. When the ball goes to Adama offensive motion stops. And I don't think that is good for this year's team.

There is a big enough problem of UConn players stopping motion when Bouk gets the ball; Sanogo in the post is a double stop offensive movement.

I think this team's deepest progression in the tourney is based on motion and multiple scorers. I'll go contrarian and suggest UConn goes further with a 5 out offense and Whaley shooting threes than they do with dumping the ball in to Sanogo and getting short made shots.

Agreed, one dimensional is bad.

Reaction Score
Which is what I brought up. Sanogo is a black hole. And that's bee good statistically. He's efficient scoring when he gets the ball in the post.

I'm not convinced Sanogo's scoring is good overall for this year's UConn team. His efficiency is a ball stopper. Sanogo isn't getting 3-4 assists passing the ball out of the post.
I think some might take issue with that idea. I read somewhere that Sanogo was plus 12 or 15 for the game while everyone else was in negative territory. Maybe watching him would work even better for the team if he kept out of foul trouble. :rolleyes:
I also don't agree with DH benching him under 4 minutes, down 3 or 4 points. Was he saving him for OT? Bishop abused Whaley under the basket on one play in that time period.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Is that a problem with Sanogo or a problem with the rest of the team? I think it is the latter. They have to put themselves in better positions to score when the primary option is doing is thing whether it been Bouknight or Sanogo

Reaction Score
This is all about team balance. Sanogo is a force down low, needs to pick up his pace instead of several pump fakes, sometimes by using a quick spin move. He also needs a 10' shot to keep the defense honest. Unfortunately, late in the last game the guards didn't look to him much as he was in and out of the lineup. The guards should cut some but nearly always dribble in or back peddle.
We have too many stretches when there are zero attempts to rebound offensive misses. Other teams rush the boards. With our shooting percentages perhaps it should be the other way around????

Other thoughts: It must be hard as a player to get comfortable with these many rotations but the coach was managing to have smalls on the court, good foul shooters etc. Some coaches are very active on the sidelines calling plays, much like what has happened in football, metrics are dictating the action. Next thing you know, all players will have a wrist band handed out at each time out to cover offensive playing time for the following 5 minutes????

Reaction Score
I have no coaching experience, but I do have age and longevity in viewership.

With that said, I really don't see this squad as a 'slow ball' type of team. When we run, attack and take quicker shots we seem to be a much better team. Ball pounding, stop/go/stop, passing around the perimeter to me is maddening (and boring).

Bouk, Cole, Polley, Jackson, Martin and Whaley are all gazelles yet playing in a cage. Hell we have no lumbering slow players (not including our Centers). Now that Bouk is back I'd like to see us scoring in the 70's and even 80's. Our defense can be relied on in terms of us stopping and outscoring opponents. Even our offensive rebounding skills will support such play.

Slow it down and we lose our speed and agility advantage.

I'll stop here, cuz Holiday Inn check out time is near.

Reaction Score
Just like everything else Sanogo will get better delivering passes out of the low post eventually. For now he doesn't do this well, but he does score well. The fact they double down on him helps the offense and to have a guy who can score with post moves such as his is so important. I hear what you're saying Chin but on the other hand we couldn't score at the end of the 1st half without him in the lineup. And the last 6 minutes without a FG we didn't dump it in either and this is where our chances of scoring get better. He is a must from what I see for our offense, especially when Bouk can't buy a shot and AJ isn't in there.

Reaction Score
The point of ball movement and player movement is to get a high % shot. Sanogo gets us a high % shot. This doesn't make a lot of sense.

He does need to look for the kick out more and move quicker before the defense gets set. Can't disagree there.

Reaction Score
Forcing the ball to anyone tends to gum up the works and lead to bad shots. Sanogo ends up with the least-bad shots of those we force the ball to.

The worst case is Polley. Everyone in the board screams that we should be running Polley off double-screens to get him open for 5-6 3's a game. Whenever we do that, he hits about 20% of them.

Shots within the flow of the offense, with everybody a threat and forcing the defense to commit and not just stand still, are best.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sanogo doesnt get the ball every possession
He is a great weapon when he has positional advantage so it make sense to dump it to him
Does he tend to be myopic in going to the hoop too much - yes but he will learn - he's young
When you have a weapon-you use it
If you think this team's best advatage is offensive movement you are missing something - they have no offensive strategy for the most part. They are at their best when running.
I don't understand what Chin sees

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom