A big win... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A big win...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think about the offense next year. Cochran and Boyle. McCombs Delorenzo and Newsome. Davis, Shak ,Foxx, Bradley, Lamelle. If we can fill the holes on the O line next year should be our most talented offense ever IMO

I am excited about our passing game, but the running game needs a complete overhaul, save for Max in short yardage situations.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
TJ has opened plenty of coaching opportunities for himself since November. No matter if it's an HC gig or as a high-level OC, he's gonna get paid.

We would need an HC who wants to keep him, an AD willing to pay him at least $750K and TJ willing to give UConn a discount.

Because if TJ wants it, there's going to be $1m opportunities for him next season.
I don't think TJ has a huge payday coming. If he takes a MAC job, we're talking 400-750k. I really don't see him being a "hot" OC pick either - it's not like we ran up incredible numbers this year. He may be a decent recruiter but I think the jury's out on that - there are plenty better car salesmen in the B1G, ACC and SEC.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I am excited about our passing game, but the running game needs a complete overhaul, save for Max in short yardage situations.
The overhaul is Newsome.

Reaction Score
You cannot judge him on that. He stepped up to plate and pushed all the buttons that needed to be pushed. Given where we ere I don't think anybody could have done a better job. We could not beat Towson or Buffalo so winning the last three, although not a miracle, is what coaching is all about.

I don't know what more you could have asked of the guy.

Reaction Score
The overhaul is Newsome.

Asking a lot for a true frosh to step in and carry the load. Maybe Foxx moves back to tailback? His versatility would be a huge plus, and create huge mismatches coming out of backfield.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Asking a lot for a true frosh to step in and carry the load. Maybe Foxx moves back to tailback? His versatility would be a huge plus, and create huge mismatches coming out of backfield.
He doesn't have to carry the load. 1/3 of the carries is sufficient. A la Todman's freshman year.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have to carry the load. 1/3 of the carries is sufficient. A la Todman's freshman year.

The difference is Todman had some pretty good backs playing ahead of him that year. We don't have those types of backs on the roster. I will reserve judgment on Marriner until I see him play. I have heard good things.

Reaction Score
TJ's pay-off for being the interim is an interview and a spot on the new staff (if he wants it). Beating the three bottom dwellers the last three weeks, should not give him the job. It's more or less the payoff any of the potential interim guys could have expected.

Fine, but you realize, we, UConn, were the bottom dweller. The reason you can make a statement like above is because, we beat the 3 teams that were above us.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Not in the grand scheme of things - 3-9 is 3-9 - but in terms of hiring a new coach.

If nothing else, the three-game win streak and the 45-10 blowout today show prospective coaches that this is not an empty cupboard and that there's pieces here to build with.

With a more than competitive salary and top-notch facilities, I think today helps in a big way - TJ deserves a lot of credit.

Tj Weist is a great OC coach but we need a recruiter. A major recruiter to catch up first to the Cincy's and UCF's of the conference and then someone who can get us into the ACC.BIG territory. We have a lot of catch up to do in this realm and I don't think Weist is ready. For now while we are in this mess we have to position ourselves as that team that falls in to the new playoff system, as the best of the mid major conferences every year until we have a better option.

Reaction Score
with what o-line? Their horrible and whole left side is gone after this year.

The OL is horrible? Do you even watch the game and check the stats. The OL has improved dramtically, when compared to the first 5 games.

It's obvious the game plan has been to pass, the past 2 weeks, so the run game was not a focus.

We just won 3 in a row, with an offensive performance unmatched by ANY QB we have EVER had, and you talk about horrible OL and players transferring, blah, blah, blah.

Sucks to be drowning in a glass half full don't it?

Reaction Score
No one outside the P5 is getting into the playoffs. Our goal needs to be top three in this league every year and to actually win it some years. Fans will show up to the rent if were exciting and winning.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
No one outside the P5 is getting into the playoffs. Our goal needs to be top three in this league every year and to actually win it some years. Fans will show up to the rent if were exciting and winning.

From what I hear there is always one spot available for the bigger bowls for one non P5 team and that is what I am referring to.

Reaction Score
Yes, access bowls, they call them now, but its not the same as the playoffs.

Reaction Score
But Memphis lost last week at home to Temple

Yes they did, but Memphis only lost to both UCF and Louisville by 7, they lost to SMU by only 5 and they beat USF by 13. I say this not to bolster TJW--he will not be the hire--but we denigrate the fantastic effort of yesterday when we say it was only against a lousy Memphis team. Yesterday's effort with that roster and play calling could have beaten any team on our schedule. Tell me when on 4th and 1 we ever lined up to run and threw wide before. Those and other play calls were a product of having gotten a lot of our young players lots of reps the last few games. And by the way, notice how much better the O-Line looks when the QB makes quick reads and delivers the ball early?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Was there even 1 procedure call against UConn on Saturday? Don't think so, that's huge improvement.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am greatful TJ helped give the program some hope the last 3 weeks. An 0-12 season could have scared off any suitable coaches interest.

But Memphis lost last week at home to Temple 41-21. People who want to give this to TJ are really jumping the gun here. I may end up favoring TJ over some of the names we are hearing. But the people who are ready to hire him based on the last 3 weeks are probably the same ones who were happy that the Coach P hire would make high school CT coaches happy.

Memphis also lost to UCF and Louisville by the same 24-17 margin.

Memphis isn't good by any stretch, but they were not out there getting poleaxed by 35 every weekend.

Weist is not my preference, but he's legitimately worked his way into the conversation and if he's the man, I'm not going to throw an internet tantrum.

Reaction Score
Triple like! Connecticut fans will show up if we are winning. If we are losing, it doesn't matter what conference we are in - they will not show up to watch us get beat by Penn State 40-10. Penn State fans will show up, but not Connecticut fans. If we win in the AAC, 10-2, 9-3, go to bowl games, play exciting offensive football, we will fill the Rent. And we will become desirable to another conference. I know my Connecticut fans.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think it's a huge win because it gives the returning players motivation for the offseason and allows for this season to be eventually forgotten. 0-12 lives forever, so does 1-11. 2-10 hangs around until everyone involved leaves. Two winning seasons and 3-9 becomes a distant memory.

Reaction Score
UConn FB is not in the top 20 % of BCS rankings, probably like the lower 10%.

Memphis and Temple probably are too dissimilar in the rankings. As many have said since the era of BCS play began, UConn has little room for error. The fact that UConn scored 28 or more points against the last three games, which they could have just as easily lost, shows positive improve.......and I bet changes the attitude of the players from the "little engine that couldn't" to the "little engine that could." For a program that has been at the bottom so long, I think the minor steps in execution the last three games is "a giant leap" for the program.....from where they have been.

Thank you TJ Weist.......you didn't let the kids outright quit on the season.......they saw you believed.......and it rubbed off.

Heck, no one complains when the top UConn BB teams, both men and womens, beat some teams that probably are a long shot from being in the top 150 of college BB. Lets be consistent........how good is Maine? NCAA caliber......I don't think so.

A win is a win in all sports......no bad how much the competition stinks in any of them. And I root for all the teams regardless.

I won't take minimize any win or take away the significance of such from the coaches or players because of the perception of the competition......in any UConn sport

Reaction Score
Weist is not my preference, but he's legitimately worked his way into the conversation and if he's the man, I'm not going to throw an internet tantrum.

^^ This sums it up best for me ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle