A big thanks to everyone who showed up yesterday. | The Boneyard

A big thanks to everyone who showed up yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am true blue, but no hero! Will tell you though, it was brutal because I didn't dress properly, and most people around me didn't either. And they all departed at halftime. No me. My problem was that I had my shirt, my Husky jacket (which for some reason I thought it would be at least somewhat waterproof, but now we know, it is not). I brought one of these cheap see through ponchos, which people were trying to buy at the stadium kiosk - but they ran out!! - but this was hardly sufficient. The sleeves only come down to the elbows, and I didn't have gloves, so from the elbows down the jacket was soaked through and through, and the wind was blowing at 43 degrees it felt like 20. Still, there were three guys in the student section with no shirts on! Those guys are heros!

Reaction Score
being in a competitive game will numb you to everything around you!!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say heroes, but it took a lot to resist the urge to want to leave I will tell you that. I kept trying to encourage my buddy's kid to say he was freezing. I had a heavy poncho, but didn't put it on till the end of the first quarter. Mistake, by then the rain had soaked my jeans and like gars said, the wind hitting that intensified the cold. Without that heavy UConn poncho, no way I would have lasted. It was a chill down to the bone. Took a HOT shower when I got home.

Reaction Score
Other than the team the winner of the day is that p***y whaler who sat inside.

Brutal. Not as much rain as Ville 07 and not as cold as USF 09. But the combo made it about the worst weather day I can remember at the Rent. Seems like just yesterday people were melting at the Stony Brook game. Man the football season flies by. Don't blink.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My feet were burning until I woke up this morning. I don't think that's normal. Lol.

I had my sweatshirt, jeans, Nikes and a night north face on. Totally underdressed.

As others have mentioned, other games have been colder or wetter, but this combo was brutal.

Reaction Score
I took my hoodie off halfway through the fourth because it was soaked through anyways. And I had a nice thick beer coat.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Other than the team the winner of the day is that p***y whaler who sat inside.

Brutal. Not as much rain as Ville 07 and not as cold as USF 09. But the combo made it about the worst weather day I can remember at the Rent. Seems like just yesterday people were melting at the Stony Brook game. Man the football season flies by. Don't blink.

I woke up at like 6 on Saturday morning walked out on my deck and laughed.

I would have found somewhere to stand outside if I had to but wouldn't have bothered going with anyone because no way would anyone else I know stay in that weather.

Game was loooooooooonng too.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Will preface that Mrs. CTMike is pregnant with our first little one. That said, we were in Gray Lot at 8am sharp and stayed a little past halftime until I got "the look"... She did pretty well.

Reaction Score
I sold my tickets in 102 because I was given tickets for Suite 312. I gotta say, I was happy to be inside for the game.

Reaction Score
Congrats CTMike. That weather was not for the women and children, let alone women bearing children. I questioned my own fandom, especially after UCF scored and I got the ole "here we go again" "are you really gonna torture yourself with this game and weather" thoughts going through my head.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was comfortable yesterday. Got a chance to wear my rain suit for the first time in years, so I was excited. We also put up our old, dirty "Connecticut Huskies" tent at the tailgate for the first time in years.

Under Armour thermal longjohns
Two layers of socks
Thick UCONN Alumni sweatshirt
UCONN winter hat covered by sweatshirt hood and rain suit hood
Insulated weather-proof boots (no laces to keep air out)
Plus this: http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Rain-Sui...414940481&sr=8-5&keywords=navy+blue+rain+suit

Yarders - go out and buy yourselves a rain suit. I went with navy blue because all of my teams (UCONN, Patriots, Yankees) blend in with it and, really, where else am I going to voluntarily stand outside for hours in bad weather?

Reaction Score
I am true blue, but no hero! Will tell you though, it was brutal because I didn't dress properly, and most people around me didn't either. And they all departed at halftime. No me. My problem was that I had my shirt, my Husky jacket (which for some reason I thought it would be at least somewhat waterproof, but now we know, it is not). I brought one of these cheap see through ponchos, which people were trying to buy at the stadium kiosk - but they ran out!! - but this was hardly sufficient. The sleeves only come down to the elbows, and I didn't have gloves, so from the elbows down the jacket was soaked through and through, and the wind was blowing at 43 degrees it felt like 20. Still, there were three guys in the student section with no shirts on! Those guys are heros!

Yeah, that was Mo Curly and Larry without the shirts!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I stayed to the last whistle. Anyone who bothered to show and didn't dress to the weather forecast was nuts. My and my buddy's only problem was putting on winter gloves that got soaked and were freezing our hands off. Took them of for the 2nd half and it was better and the rain slacked off a lot in the 4th quarter. If there were 2000 left at the end, which includes maybe 30 kids still in the student section - the others in a half-full student section were long gone - it was a lot. If this team manages to start winning, you have to wonder what the December 6 stands will look like if the temperature is below 40, heaven forbid snowing.

Meanwhile. I hope we never again have a schedule with zero October home games and a home game in early December. Totally fan unfriendly.

Reaction Score
My jeans, which hung in the showe overnight, are still soaked. So no rain pants was mistake #1. I have not one but two (one each half) pairs of leather gloves, that are still waterlogged and mayb e ruined. So not wearing ski gloves that are waterproof was mistake #2. So despite a good parka and boots and a waterproof hood over a ski cap and gloves (with handwarmers) and fleece under the parka, I was beyond uncomfortable.

Reaction Score
I wanted to go but girl had to remind me I forgot I had lunch with my father scheduled. It was the best time for him to have a lunch with us, so had to give him what he wanted. Certainly was worth it. Plus, girl would have not been pleased with the weather. She got sunburned bad at one of the games. Otherwise, I'd have been there. No question about it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I wanted to go but girl had to remind me I forgot I had lunch with my father scheduled. It was the best time for him to have a lunch with us, so had to give him what he wanted. Certainly was worth it. Plus, girl would have not been pleased with the weather. She got sunburned bad at one of the games. Otherwise, I'd have been there. No question about it.

Freezer burn was more likely yesterday.

Reaction Score
The heavy poncho (old logo, thanks Bob's Stores!) was yesterday's Deshon Foxx-- a game changer. It kept in the heat, protected my jeans and jacket sleeves. The extra fleece hat and two pairs of gloves that I his under my seat absorbed about two pounds of water during the game. Luckily I found a plastic bag under one of the beer kiosks as we walked out--instant tote for the wet stuff instead of carrying it in wet, cold hands back to the car. From kickoff to victory formation, glad I was there in section 223.

Very early forecast from weather.com says 48 degrees, partly sunny, 15 mph winds for Yankee Stadium next Saturday. Dry out, grab your hand and foot warmers, get ready for a big day on November 8!

Reaction Score
Been to many bad weather games at the Rent. That was the first one I spent the entire game watching from under the concourse. The combo of rain, cold air, and wind made the conditions horrid. (my own fault for not wearing better rain gear). This time I didn't blame the student section for bailing 2nd half.

But it was worth it for the team and for the tribute for Jazz. Great to see them play that well against a quality team and get a W - it's been a while!

Reaction Score
It makes me wish they made Rentschler a dome in the first place. Not sure it's even remotely possible to convert it into a dome along with any potential stadium expansions down the road. I made the decision years ago that I probably would never go to a home game past October. I can't stand the cold, or snow, especially if they're losing. November and beyond is strictly for 60" LED televisions and staying in-house, personally.

Reaction Score
Yesterday was actually fun...makes you appreciate good rain gear..LOL! I had on a camo duck hunting coat (River's West Eider jacket) that lived up to the reviews I saw on it before I bought it with a few layers ( dry-fit long sleeve shirt, short sleeve tshirt and sweatshirt), jeans (last minute decision to take my rain gear bottoms turned out to be the right move) gore-tex hikers. I was a little wet by the end of the game but it was well worth it! My wife had her rain gear and a poncho she brought with her, she also stayed dry for the most part. I am definitely purchasing some heavy duty rain gear though. My friend who sat behind me had his heavy duty fishing rain gear on..he was warm and dry! Definitely took some time for the feeling in my fingers to come back on the ride home though.

Reaction Score
Every year, there is one game I underdress for; yesterday was it. A T-shirt and a hoodie didn't cut it. I tried to get warm during the timeouts by going under the upper bleachers but the wind actually made me colder. I suffered but stayed until the end. I'm glad I did; I'm now in the right frame of mind for the Army bus trip!

Reaction Score
I've been at worse games. The biggest issue for me was not wearing better shoes. Outside of my feet getting wet, I was pretty good. I was mad at myself for not wearing my underarmor turtle neck. I'm sure the team winning helped a lot. For me, this game wasn't as bad as whatever game was played in 95 degree weather. I felt light headed during that game, enough so I don't even remember who they played, although I'm pretty sure it was Stony Brook.

Reaction Score
It was a great football day and only one of our group of four had to hit the car at half time, this due to handicap.
All it takes is layers with one of them being a rain suit and a pair of boots or slip on rubbers. This was nothing close to what the 09 game vs SF was like being played at night in the snow and freezing rain. Had a good time at that one too.
With all the pre-game hype of what the weather was to be I saw many in shorts and some in the plastic shoes with no socks saying they did not think it was going to be this cold. How nothing more than Bud Lights was keeping him in house deep in the 3rd quarter I'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom