A “W” is a “W”… | The Boneyard

A “W” is a “W”…

Reaction Score
After all is said and done, I celebrate the W yesterday. I don’t care that it was against Temple… I don’t care that we played poorly…. All I know is that we had a chance as a program to change the narrative and we did.

That was an epic moment where the program’s reputation was on the line and our DefensIve line decided “enough is enough!”

As much as a loss is a loss, I’m celebrating this as a a great moment for UConn football and “a W is a W.”

We can lament about the lack of play on both sides of the ball but we go into the bye week 4-2 with a highlight clip that will help us in recruiting!

Reaction Score
For all the seasons of unwatchable blowouts where we couldn’t even field a competitive FBS team, so many here complaining about a narrow win that “we didn’t deserve” because we didn’t play up to your standards that this UConn team themselves set by the previous 3 blowout home games?

Classic Boneyard. We won the game. We’re 4-2. Guess you’ll have to suffer for 2 weeks with this moral defeat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For all the seasons of unwatchable blowouts where we couldn’t even field a competitive FBS team, so many here complaining about a narrow win that “we didn’t deserve” because we didn’t play up to your standards that this UConn team set by the previous 3 blowout games?

Classic Boneyard. We won the game. We’re 4-2. Guess you’ll have to suffer for 2 weeks with this moral defeat.
I am at a loss over anything else but to celebrate this Win. It was a heck of a roller coaster! My whole family was dancing around the living room at the end of the game!

If you can’t just stop for a moment and realize we haven’t had a winning season in #forever and enjoy the fact we faced certain defeat and then said “hell no” then I feel bad (not mad) for you.

I loved the post-game with Mora who is rarely at a loss for words until he was asked “Jim, in all your experience in College/NFL have you ever had a game end like this?”

Mora had long pause… Umm… No I haven‘t…

Epic game!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m going to buy in on; I) a win is a win (4-2 baby!) and ii) this game was a wake up call to the entire team that no game will be easy. Anything can happen - prep for it all. Stop reading the press clippings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Character win. Temple D gave us problems all game, Fagnano struggled, but we overcame it, made the plays that we needed to in order to put us in a position to win, and survived with a memorable last second goal line stand.

Good teams won’t play great every week. They’ll be games like this, and it may serve this team well as a learning experience the rest of the way.

If you’re angry that we should have beat Duke and didn’t, then beating Temple like this shouldn’t be a mood-killer for you.

Reaction Score
Character win. Temple D gave us problems all game, Fagnano struggled, but we overcame it, made the plays that we needed to in order to put us in a position to win, and survived with a memorable last second goal line stand.

Good teams won’t play great every week. They’ll be games like this, and it may serve this team well as a learning experience the rest of the way.

If you’re angry that we should have beat Duke and didn’t, then beating Temple like this shouldn’t be a mood-killer for you.
And to add to this - as bad as Fagnano played yesterday, I thought a turning point was when he ran the ball to the 10 YD line and instead of ducking out of bounds, he took a big hit.

That motivated the offense - you could see the whole offense change after hit - and we went and scored.

I give Fagnano credit for never giving up even where many in his position might have…

Reaction Score
I said in the first quarter - when UConn was squandering possessions as fast as the got 'em - that UConn was the better team. But, they let Temple hang around and hang around and it came back to bite them. So in the end, UConn stole a victory in a game they never should have lost. But there they were, needing a miracle finish to pull out victory in a game we should have one won comfortably.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There really ARE such things as "character wins". Those come on the days where your good stuff isn't working right. Run game isn't going. Best wide receiver has to come out. QB can't find it. Defense starts to bend.

But right before that clock hit 0:00, we found out what we were made of. The offense found out. The defense found out. Even the fans found out what we were made of. And the ones that stayed until the end (because a lot had left) were treated to the type of memory that makes the ticket price worth it in the end; that Husky Nation will not break. Not now. Not ever...

Reaction Score
We stopped a tush push on the one yard line. We penetrated the line so badly the Center/QB ball exchange was likely botched. Of course we deserved to win.

I give Temple a ton of credit though.

We have tons of work to do to get ready for Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
For all the seasons of unwatchable blowouts where we couldn’t even field a competitive FBS team, so many here complaining about a narrow win that “we didn’t deserve” because we didn’t play up to your standards that this UConn team themselves set by the previous 3 blowout home games?

Absolutely! We were 1-0 this week. This is akin to Brimah making 3 point play against St Joes to send to OT in 2014. We sucked out loud, but found a way. UConn history might not be what it is if not for that awful game by the eventual champs! This potentially huge win going forward. Makes WF game “HUGER”!!

Let’s go undefeated for next 2 weeks!!

Reaction Score
I said in the first quarter - when UConn was squandering possessions as fast as the got 'em - that UConn was the better team. But, they let Temple hang around and hang around and it came back to bite them. So in the end, UConn stole a victory in a game they never should have lost. But there they were, needing a miracle finish to pull out victory in a game we should have one won comfortably.
They did not steal the victory. Our defensive line held Temple with a goal line stand. The fact that the ball “popped” out was fortuitous but we need to give our D credit for setting up the condition for a fortunate event. Hey the ball either “pooped “ or popped out so we all should take it and enjoy the V for victory and accept the W for win.

Reaction Score
They did not steal the victory. Our defensive line held Temple with a goal line stand. The fact that the ball “popped” out was fortuitous but we need to give our D credit for setting up the condition for a fortunate event. Hey the ball either “pooped “ or popped out so take it and enjoy the V for victory and accept the W for win.
I agree 100%. UConn rose to the occasion and if Temple ”deserved“ to win it, they would Have.

Can’t blame the refs - they made bad calls going both ways.
Can’t blame the weather.
Can’t blame injuries

We took that game - just happened to be the DEFENSE that won the game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
And to add to this - as bad as Fagnano played yesterday, I thought a turning point was when he ran the ball to the 10 YD line and instead of ducking out of bounds, he took a big hit.

That motivated the offense - you could see the whole offense change after hit - and we went and scored.

I give Fagnano credit for never giving up even where many in his position might have…
I was telling my friends this also.

Fagnano was underwhelming all game, but we needed him that drive and he stepped up. The scramble and toss to Buckman and that challenge to get the 1st were big time plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom