'99 UConn - SJU replay on SNY | The Boneyard

'99 UConn - SJU replay on SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching it right now. Seems like ages ago. Packed Garden, high quality basketball. Billy Packer just said - "I don't know any team in America that travels more fans than UConn".

Reaction Score
1/30/99 at MSG. I'm biting my fingernails! 6 min to go. UConn battling back. Who's gonna win???

Reaction Score
What a dumb play. 40 sec left and a flubbed ally-opp. J scores a 3. UConn by 2 with 30 sec.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That game (in a season where St John's made the elite eight and was ranked for basically the entire season) is case in point that Johnnie fans are full of when they claim to have a solid fan base that fills the garden when they are good. I was at that game and it was 2-1 UConn fans. Listen to how loud the garden gets when we take the lead and then put it away.

Reaction Score
Was that the year we played them in the BE tournament final before at least 2/3rds Husky fans?. We blew them out something ridiculous, K Free MVP.

Reaction Score
SNY LOVES this game....they show it a lot....love how the UCONN 2nd half comeback starts with Ricky hustling his down the court on D despite the SJU 3 on 1 advanatge and stealing an interior pass, heading back up the court and getting fouled and screaming at his teamates to get into gear.....great stuff from the captain...

Reaction Score
One thing that struck me was how active Jake Voskuhl (and how good) was both down low and at the top of the key. He was confident and assertive in everything he did. No hesitation, very aggressive.

Reaction Score
One thing that struck me was how active Jake Voskuhl (and how good) was both down low and at the top of the key. He was confident and assertive in everything he did. No hesitation, very aggressive.

and...he had great hair. :)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Jake was one of my all time favorites. Without a doubt he improved more over the course of one season (his freshman year) than any other player I have seen anywhere. The first time I saw him (very early his freshman year) he took an open eight footer and missed by nearly five feet (it was a good thing he missed as the shot may have broken the rim if it was on line). By the end of the season (especially in the NIT) he looked like a solid collegiate center. The kid was easy to root for.

Reaction Score
I was also there...... high energy and just a great college basketball game.......as I said in another post it was a loss for the Garden and NYC hoops fans when Jarv-ass changed the dynamic of the rivalry and stopped playing Saturday games there in order to keep the Husky fans away for the most part. It worked but it hurt his university and the game, not the Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I was also there...... high energy and just a great college basketball game.......as I said in another post it was a loss for the Garden and NYC hoops fans when Jarv-ass changed the dynamic of the rivalry and stopped playing Saturday games there in order to keep the Husky fans away for the most part. It worked but it hurt his university and the game, not the Huskies!!
The loudest game I ever attended. Lost my voice. Getting cursed at by Jonnie fans after was great, just smiled and waved in the rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
Agreed WillB4, loud as hell in MSG........after the game just smiled and had a few more at the Blarney before boarding the bus........beautiful day in the City!!:D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jake's role on this team is vastly under appreciated. I'd sure love to have a Vokshul clone on the team today.

Reaction Score
The real question is how did that fan base turn into the one that only put 8,000 in the seats at the last HCC home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom