90 pro scouts | The Boneyard

90 pro scouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

arch

Reaction Score
90 pro scouts attending Kentucky PRACTICE. What the heck?
It's on ESPNU now.
Maybe this is one of the reasons so many top guys head there?
ESPN is giving them 2 hours of coverage. I'd like second a suggestion from one of the other boards, Malloy should build a toll booth at entrance and exits at ESPN Bristol.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
90 pro scouts attending Kentucky PRACTICE. What the heck?
It's on ESPNU now.
Maybe this is one of the reasons so many top guys head there?

Maybe?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Glad to know that the NCAA is working towards creating a more balanced playing field for its 351 D1 members every single day of its operations.

Actually scratch that, it's been the exact opposite the last few years. It seems like in the world of college sports deregulation is what all the big players are after to distance themselves from the lower level programs. This, and now K and Duke playing "me too" is just more evidence of this. At this moment, there's really no way a non-Duke or UK program can get a guy who these guys target as a top priority, because they simply can't offer the player what those two have managed to monopolize on.

Reaction Score
Glad to know that the NCAA is working towards creating a more balanced playing field for its 351 D1 members every single day of its operations.

Actually scratch that, it's been the exact opposite the last few years. It seems like in the world of college sports deregulation is what all the big players are after to distance themselves from the lower level programs. This, and now K and Duke playing "me too" is just more evidence of this. At this moment, there's really no way a non-Duke or UK program can get a guy who these guys target as a top priority, because they simply can't offer the player what those two have managed to monopolize on.
Did the NCAA make it illegal for non UK/Duke teams to invite scouts to their practices or something?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Did the NCAA make it illegal for non UK/Duke teams to invite scouts to their practices or something?
No but certain aspects of what they are doing are anti-competitive in my opinion. First of all broadcasting it on national TV is just something that only 3 or 4 programs would even have the ability to do in the first place, all the scouts and GMs aside, while providing a huge amount of exposure to their guys, something that usually requires you know the season and games to start for all 349 other D1 programs have to wait for.

If the amount of time practices take place for and the time of year they start is closely regulated, then this should be too.

Reaction Score
If you are good enough ,you will be found. It's more hype than anything else. Hope the high school kids don't drink that Kentucky Kool Aid. Lillard,Curry,George, Dunn and a host of others as examples.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
If you are good enough ,you will be found. It's more hype than anything else. Hope the high school kids don't drink that Kentucky Kool Aid. Lillard,Curry,George, Dunn and a host of others as examples.
That's the thing though, with social media and the Internet hype is being converted directly to tangible dollars. It's more than just kool aid now, these guys are smart to go to these places because they will see real results on draft day, the problem lies for everyone else.

Reaction Score
That's the thing though, with social media and the Internet hype is being converted directly to tangible dollars. It's more than just kool aid now, these guys are smart to go to these places because they will see real results on draft day, the problem lies for everyone else.
Looks like from the few past classes the players are realizing you get better by playing time. Their classes aren't as good as once before.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Looks like from the few past classes the players are realizing you get better by playing time. Their classes aren't as good as once before.
Did you turn on the TV during the 2014-2015 season at all? Did you see Karl-Anthony Towns just put up one of the most ridiculous season by a rookie, possibly ever especially while UK came off of the massive success of Anthony Davis a couple years earlier which was thought to be impossible to top? Even last year in one of his most unheralded classes and teams ever, he still sent a guy to the lottery and had a total bust go in the first round regardless. Like everyone with eyes watched Skal Labissierre, knew he was soft and mis-ranked the year before and lacked the mechanics that were promised when he came in, and he still got guaranteed money. Going to UK and Duke packages you as a "premium prospect" during draft day talk, one that will become a franchise player.

Reaction Score
Did you turn on the TV during the 2014-2015 season at all? Did you see Karl-Anthony Towns just put up one of the most ridiculous season by a rookie, possibly ever especially while UK came off of the massive success of Anthony Davis a couple years earlier which was thought to be impossible to top? Even last year in one of his most unheralded classes and teams ever, he still sent a guy to the lottery and had a total bust go in the first round regardless. Like everyone with eyes watched Skal Labissierre, knew he was soft and mis-ranked the year before and lacked the mechanics that were promised when he came in, and he still got guaranteed money. Going to UK and Duke packages you as a "premium prospect" during draft day talk, one that will become a franchise player.
Calipari shakes up staff to improve recruiting

Don't kill the messenger. Even Cal said he slipped in recruiting.

Reaction Score
If a freshman had a chance to vie for a Championship or to be seen by 90 scouts on 'opening day', I would say they pick they pick scouts. Reasons being quick path, immediate exposure, NBA feedback, and other 'quick' benefits. Now they could have a sub par season, but we're talking about high school kids pre-Div 1.

Just saying its a huge recruiting advantage, sale, plug, etc... Also many young kids today love getting things quicker.

Cal's got to be one of the greatest recruiters in the history of college basketball and recently tweaked his staff to improve on it.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
If a freshman had a chance to vie for a Championship or to be seen by 90 scouts on 'opening day', I would say they pick they pick scouts. Reasons being quick path, immediate exposure, NBA feedback, and other 'quick' benefits. Now they could have a sub par season, but we're talking about high school kids pre-Div 1.

Just saying its a huge recruiting advantage, sale, plug, etc... Also many young kids today love getting things quicker.

Cal's got to be one of the greatest recruiters in the history of college basketball and recently tweaked his staff to improve on it.
This is true, but you are also ignoring the fact that playing for schools like UK and Duke, they are essentially getting both at the highest magnitude. These teams are starting top 5 preseason almost like clockwork at this point, and it's all based on speculation as none of the guys have played a minute yet, so if that's the current state I don't see how they will ever fall out of a preseason top 5.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This is true, but you are also ignoring the fact that playing for schools like UK and Duke, they are essentially getting both at the highest magnitude. These teams are starting top 5 preseason almost like clockwork at this point, and it's all based on speculation as none of the guys have played a minute yet, so if that's the current state I don't see how they will ever fall out of a preseason top 5.

You're right, I hate it for both selfish UConn reasons and for overall sport reasons, but you are right.

The thing I always hang my hat on is that I've felt that way about multiple teams/programs/sports, and at some point it crumbles.

Thankfully Calipari is (imo obv) a terrible coach, relatively speaking...otherwise he'd have 15 chips and I'd have stopped following long ago.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
In all fairness:
National Championships since: 1999 1996

UConn 4 4
Kentucky 2 4
Duke 3 3

We just win championships!
I'll take our coaches and fans.

Reaction Score
New times require new rules. The NCAA should be adding rules to address this new phenomenon. Do scouts really need to be at practices? Rules exist to maintain an even playing field and integrity.

Reaction Score
No but certain aspects of what they are doing are anti-competitive in my opinion. First of all broadcasting it on national TV is just something that only 3 or 4 programs would even have the ability to do in the first place, all the scouts and GMs aside, while providing a huge amount of exposure to their guys, something that usually requires you know the season and games to start for all 349 other D1 programs have to wait for.

If the amount of time practices take place for and the time of year they start is closely regulated, then this should be too.
New times require new rules. The NCAA should be adding rules to address this new phenomenon. Do scouts really need to be at practices? Rules exist to maintain an even playing field and integrity.
You guys are hilarious. UConn has had tons of scouts showing up at our practices for years now. Not 90 at once, but certainly in the double digits. Why have you never complained about that? Isn't that anti-competitive for the teams that can't get any scouts to show up?

Reaction Score
Calipari gets talent by embracing his program as a 'pro prep' step of 1-2 years, and now can name drop player after player that 'he' has got in 'the league'. This kind of event and the paid autograph sessions arranged to generate cash for these kids as soon as they declare for the draft are examples of the 'pro' focus of the program vs winning for State U. It kills me that ESPN et al spends time focusing on the projected draft position of these players before they have played a game, then give credit to 'Cal' for getting the player drafted, even though they are projected as being drafted before he has coached them a minute.

Reaction Score
Calipari gets talent by embracing his program as a 'pro prep' step of 1-2 years, and now can name drop player after player that 'he' has got in 'the league'. This kind of event and the paid autograph sessions arranged to generate cash for these kids as soon as they declare for the draft are examples of the 'pro' focus of the program vs winning for State U. It kills me that ESPN et al spends time focusing on the projected draft position of these players before they have played a game, then give credit to 'Cal' for getting the player drafted, even though they are projected as being drafted before he has coached them a minute.

If you don't already see this as a skill of Cal's, you need to. And if you don't consider that skill to be as or more important than in-game strategy or tactics, you need to.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You guys are hilarious. UConn has had tons of scouts showing up at our practices for years now. Not 90 at once, but certainly in the double digits. Why have you never complained about that? Isn't that anti-competitive for the teams that can't get any scouts to show up?
When did UConn ever televise a practice on ESPN? Us having scouts at practices isn't even in the same ballpark as having nationally televised pro combines. You know you don't have to always be a staunch contrarian.

Reaction Score
I would like to see a University invite the heads of Fortune 500 companies to practice and invite ESPN to televise. The CEOs can conduct interviews afterwards. The NCAA would come down on them so fast.

What UK is doing reeks of professionalism and should not be allowed to be televised. It is a direct and obvious recruiting advantage to have it on ESPN.

Reaction Score
I would like to see a University invite the heads of Fortune 500 companies to practice and invite ESPN to televise. The CEOs can conduct interviews afterwards. The NCAA would come down on them so fast.

You maybe on to something here. Forget NCAA and basketball though.

How about the students demanding 90 HR reps from various companies come and scout (i.e. interview/take applications) senior students for potential jobs?

Just saying perhaps the 'paying' academic students should demand similar attention/treatment. It seems unfair to offer a 'one or two year' student athlete such preferred treatment particularly at an educational institution. Or am I being naive to the basketball money game?

Do today's students ever protest anything anymore?

Reaction Score
How about the students demanding 90 HR reps from various companies come and scout (i.e. interview/take applications) senior students for potential jobs?
Aren't you just describing a career fair, which happen at every college all the time?

Or were you just being sarcastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer