90 Minute Thread: White Wine? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

90 Minute Thread: White Wine?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
You are still seeing '16 Napa cabs on shelves??

Where? Please tell.
Not on shelves. I belong to a bunch of Napa wine clubs, In general I belong to the minimum club but that allows me to get other bottles added. For example, Mayacama just offered to let me add additional bottles of their 2016 to my fall allotment!

As I’ve noted before, my daughter works at Brasswoods in Napa (she has her masters in wine management front he CIA) and can curate a case or two for anyone who ‘s interested. Just needs a budget. PM me if interested!

Reaction Score
Not on shelves. I belong to a bunch of Napa wine clubs, In general I belong to the minimum club but that allows me to get other bottles added. For example, Mayacama just offered to let me add additional bottles of their 2016 to my fall allotment!

As I’ve noted before, my daughter works at Brasswoods in Napa (she has her masters in wine management front he CIA) and can curate a case or two for anyone who ‘s interested. Just needs a budget. PM me if interested!
Thanks. I have a few winery specific memberships i.e. Rochioli for Pinot and Shafer for cabs and others. '15 and even better '16 are quite the pair of keepers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know this is a white wine thread but just heard from my daughter, who's working at Brasswoods in Napa - that Heidi Peterson Barrett was at the winery and she told them that there may be no red wines coming out of Napa this year due to the smoke taint. If you don't recognize her name, look her up. She advises a LOT of Napa/Sonoma wineries. She also learned to fly her own bright blue helicopter around the valleys. Also her husband Bo Barrett, of Chateau Montelana was played by Chris Pine in Bottle Shock!

Apparently the smoke came early this year before the harvest. Personally I'm going to pick up a few more 2016s while they are still around.
You are still seeing '16 Napa cabs on shelves??

Where? Please tell.
I like Napa cabs but don't drink nearly as much of that style as I used to (Heitz was my favorite). Last Bottle has been selling a ton of Napa cabs for the past few months--much more than usual, and more than anything else.

Right now they have a 2016 cab blend that sounds up your guys' alley:

LB8679-2042.jpg

$29

Yup, today’s the day! You ARE seeing the new release of Protege!! Best part? 2016, Napa baby!! Do you know how many emails we get asking for more of the 2015 we sold last year? Enough to devote a folder in the inbox for it (we never did get more).

SO --- Protege lovers, or the great unwashed, or Napa Cab enthusiasts in general, GO GO go!! We don’t have as much as we’d like, no sir!! Sellout red alert….

The hot-off-the-press 2016 from winemakers Ryan Darrall (he’s worked at Caymus since he was like 12 years old), and Mathew Torres (who is part of the Trinchero family), just hit our warehouse, and if you love the lush, showy style of Caymus and other pedal-to-the-metal Napa Cabernets, you need to get your fingers flying over your mobile device, PC, or literally ANY Internet-connected thing (your toaster maybe?) to LOCK SOME IN. Heady coffeeshop aromas with bright red and purple fruit, fresh blackberry, licorice, pie crust, mocha...yup, it’s all there. While it lasts…!

Free ground shipping on 4 or more bottles.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@storrsroars , I can't vouch for this, but I just bought 12 of these cans of white wine (yes, you read that right) because it sounded like it might be similar to the Conundrum blend and flavor profile. Oh, and the price is right and I've never seen a 250mL can, which I imagine can come in handy:

LB8671-2352.jpg

$3

Free Public White NV (250mL Can)

Oh yeah. WE WENT THERE AGAIN! Cans rule! $3 cans (with a 90-POINT score to boot!!) rule hella-gnarlier! Crisp, delicious white from Yakima Valley, tried, tested, approved and loved at a simply can’t-wrap-head-around price! Goodness, how do we do it?

Fun fact: 3 CANS = 1 Bottle. Also, $3 X 3 = $9. NINE! Boom goes the dynamite!

It’s a can world these days. With all the outdoorsy stuff going on this summer, cans rock - they fit into pockets, socks, backpacks, fanny packs, purses, Tommy Bahama chairs with those little coolers, my desk drawer, my armrest in my car….see? The possibilities are endless.

Free Public’s delicious white is piquant, snappy, clean, refreshing, and straight-up dang tasty if we do say so. Did we mention 90 points? This is NOT the usual plonky, watery, nothing-burger stuff most canned wines are (we know, we bought and tasted hundreds before thumbs-upping this one) -- no, Free Public’s wines are sourced by well-known vintner Ron Penner-Ash and have a pure, refreshing, easy-drinking personality. This one is 50% pinot gris, 25% sauvignon blanc & 25% chardonnay, and it cracks open (ha ha) with some juicy Asian pear, lime and white flowers, zippy and delish, dry, invigorating, and dare we say, RESTORATIVE! Yes! A cool drink of water for your soul!

Serve cold, preferably on a pool floatie or beside a cool rocky stream! SUPER LIMITED. While they last…

Free ground shipping on 12 cans.

90 points

“Sold in three-pack of 250-ml cans, the wines for this new project are sourced by vintner Ron Penner-Ash from a variety of West Coast vineyards. The blend is half Pinot Gris and one-quarter each Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay, and it works very well. A juicy Asian pear flavor is enlivened by supporting acidity, and the freshness is impressive.”

~Wine Enthusiast

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Cans wouldn't bother me, might even more convenient in certain circumstances. I'll look for it, not that I expect our state monopoly to carry it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cans wouldn't bother me, might even more convenient in certain circumstances. I'll look for it, not that I expect our state monopoly to carry it.
Last Bottle (the site I linked) will ship it to you for free if you buy 12 or more cans ($36 for four bottles' worth of wine).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
All y'all Albarino fans, this looks like a nice deal up on Last Bottle right now. I just grabbed six:

LB4433TE-189272.jpg
I haven't signed up for a wine club thing since I moved here because, well, you couldn't until a couple years ago. But now I have. I was gonna DM you so you could get referral points, but no idea how long that was gonna take, so I just ordered. Maybe there's a way you can retroactively get those points?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I haven't signed up for a wine club thing since I moved here because, well, you couldn't until a couple years ago. But now I have. I was gonna DM you so you could get referral points, but no idea how long that was gonna take, so I just ordered. Maybe there's a way you can retroactively get those points?
No worries! Glad you scored the deal. I don't think there is a retroactive thing but thanks for the thought.

I have their app on my phone so I get notifications when there is a new wine on. Otherwise I think they send an email, but the app has come in handy many times when there is something I want and I am remote and not near a computer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't think there is a retroactive thing but thanks for the thought.
Just send them a screen shot of this page of the thread. Who could argue with that kind of proof? :D

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good to hear. Mine comes tomorrow.
Mine came yesterday and normally I don't open a bottle on the day it's delivered because of potential "bottle shock" from transit. I don't know whether that's a real thing or not, but I think it's more of a concern with reds than whites. In any event, last night turned into one of those nights where I "needed" a drink while preparing dinner. Even though I had at least a dozen other options already chilled and this one wasn't fully chilled yet, I was attracted by the bottle and it felt cold enough. Turns out it was the perfect temp, because I like most of my whites warmed up a little so all the flavors come through. Had two glasses over the course of dinner and after and am looking forward to the rest tonight. So far, I think it's one of the best Albarinos I've had.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gotta say, I didn't love it at first taste. Really, really bone dry compared to "basic bone-dry Albarinos" to point of astringency and very little of the fruit notes it should show. Arrived only a couple hours before dinner, I was making grilled cod with a mint/basil sauce, so put a bottle in fridge soon as it showed up. Wasn't doing it for me until shortly after I finished dinner when I started noticing it opening up some and the pear and a bit of citrus started coming through. Hopefully, after settling, next bottle will be on point during dinner.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gotta say, I didn't love it at first taste. Really, really bone dry compared to "basic bone-dry Albarinos" to point of astringency and very little of the fruit notes it should show. Arrived only a couple hours before dinner, I was making grilled cod with a mint/basil sauce, so put a bottle in fridge soon as it showed up. Wasn't doing it for me until shortly after I finished dinner when I started noticing it opening up some and the pear and a bit of citrus started coming through. Hopefully, after settling, next bottle will be on point during dinner.
Interesting. I definitely lean dry; but like I said, the fact that it was warmer than fridge-cold when I drank it made it taste pretty open and less than bone dry. I drank the remainder tonight straight out of the fridge and it was more dry than last night, but I had already had a couple sour ciders, some rose Prosecco and a Lobster Landing lobster roll beforehand so the laser-like dry was welcome because it cut through everything else.

On to scotch for the nite cap I think.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
All y'all Albarino fans, this looks like a nice deal up on Last Bottle right now. I just grabbed six:

LB4433TE-189272.jpg
Opened the third bottle tonight, took it out of cellar, put in fridge for an hour or so, drank it with some lettuce wraps I modified from a cheat PF Chang recipe (less sweet, slightly spicier). Now it's right in my sweet spot.

Also ordered six of whatever Albarino Last Bottle was hawking earlier in week. Just because.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Opened the third bottle tonight, took it out of cellar, put in fridge for an hour or so, drank it with some lettuce wraps I modified from a cheat PF Chang recipe (less sweet, slightly spicier). Now it's right in my sweet spot.

Also ordered six of whatever Albarino Last Bottle was hawking earlier in week. Just because.
Nice. I think that other bottle is the Garzon from Uruguay, which I bought last time they offered it. I like it and I think I have one bottle left from a six pack. It is different from the Grandbazan, which has something a little extra for my tastes that I can’t quite put my finger on. I’m packing for vacation now and will likely take a bottle of each.

The Thai place I frequent has a Sauvignon Blanc from Uruguay that I love with their food.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nice. I think that other bottle is the Garzon, which I bought last time they offered it. I like it and I think I have one bottle left from a six pack. It is different from the Grandbazan, which has something a little extra for my tastes that I can’t quite put my finger on. I’m packing for vacation now and will likely take a bottle of each.
Yep, that was it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom