9+ minutes without a basket in the second half | Page 2 | The Boneyard

9+ minutes without a basket in the second half

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm going to agree it's mostly on the coaching but not from last night or this year, it's from not focusing on the kids they recruit to have the tools necessary to get things done. For instance, and I know many disagree, passing is an art. You can be really really good at but that comes natural. You can be good at it and some can be taught to be pretty good. But if you're just a crappy passer in HS and growing up you aren't making a kid with zero visions a good passer. Played a along time, obviously not this level but feel passing is relative. Crappy passers will always be crappy passers. We have too many!
And you forgot to add if the crappy passer can't dribble, you're in for a horrendous time. But I agree. Adams is the only good passer on this team, Gilbert too but he's injured. Vital has shown flashes of his passing ability, but its inconsistent. You'd think passing would be a forte of our coaching staff with Moore, Ollie, and formerly Hobbs, on the bench.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I really wonder why Purvis with 4 years (including the Championship year) as a UConn guard was not prepared and ill equipped to handle point guard duties upon demand. Even with limited ball handling skills its inexcusable for him not to be able to manage the team playing the lead guard. I have to believe he knows the plays and certainly the players.

I don't know who is to blame but a 5th year guard not being able to handle point guard duties for one half is head scratching. Oh and Hobbs, Rickey and Ollie have been coaching him. What's up with that?

Lol it might be time for you to stop watching basketball. Clearly you don't understand how it works

Reaction Score
UConn fans should be use to scoring droughts after watching the football team the past couple of years.

Reaction Score
The level of ineptitude this offense is showing is astounding. And that's with a ton of open shots. Not to mention lay ups and just plain losing the ball approaching the basket.

No excuses. This is just lousy offense. Adams or no Adams.

Purvis was 5 for 22. 1-13 from three. The team was 4-28 from three. That's. 14%. And a ton of them were wide open. It's sad to watch.

Did anyone mention that Adams left with a concussion? So ... #2 who is trying to play PG at a high level is out and we have zero offensive playmaking experience and we still get into OT. It is what it is. You say Vital? He has a ways to go; but, that is some early look at what is going to be a good 4 year player.

Reaction Score
Ollie has absolutely no idea how to coach offense. Every inbounds play is an adventure and there was no effort to get Facey or Enoch touches in the second half.

Very solid defensive effort, but the offense is dreadful after 11 games.

idiot

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ollie has absolutely no idea how to coach offense. Every inbounds play is an adventure and there was no effort to get Facey or Enoch touches in the second half.

Very solid defensive effort, but the offense is dreadful after 11 games.
yep - missing your 3 best offensive players has nothing to do with it
Its that damn KO
Merry Xmas

Reaction Score
idiot
Yeah, 12 points in the first half today. Fantastic job on offense.

If you think that's acceptable, I'm pretty sure you're not very bright.

Last edited:

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Trying to remember the last time I heard booing at a home game (not directed at the officials/opposition).

Reaction Score
Yeah, 12 points in the first half today. Fantastic job on offense.

If you think that's acceptable, I'm pretty sure you're not very bright.

I am still pretty sure you are an idiot ... and probably a bandwagon fan.##

What we just saw here and with Auburn is the value of a Jalen Adams. Sure ... no excuses. But heck, you can't make this up: there are 7 guys and zero ball handling experience.

Reaction Score
I am still pretty sure you are an idiot ... and probably a bandwagon fan.##

What we just saw here and with Auburn is the value of a Jalen Adams. Sure ... no excuses. But heck, you can't make this up: there are 7 guys and zero ball handling experience.

I have been a fan since 81 and I have been attending games since 83. I have had season tickets for most of those years. I was on the floor at MSG in 88 when winning the NIT was the biggest victory in the program's history. Bandwagon? Hardly.

Falling behind by double digits in nearly every game just isn't an acceptable pattern. If you can't understand that, you are beyond help.

C

Chief00

Why do we have the same concussion protocol for MBB as we do for football where you get hit in the head often. Makes no sense to me - the risk is much lower and that should be incorporated into the protocol.

Reaction Score
Why do we have the same concussion protocol for MBB as we do for football where you get hit in the head often. Makes no sense to me - the risk is much lower and that should be incorporated into the protocol.

I actually laughed out loud at this. There's really no one in your life to tell you when you sound like a duck___ moron? People just indulge you babbling on about things you don't understand in the slightest?

C

Chief00

I actually laughed out loud at this. There's really no one in your life to tell you when you sound like a duck___ moron? People just indulge you babbling on about things you don't understand in the slightest?

Level of risk should be incorporated into any well thought out protocol. In this case it's not.

Reaction Score
Level of risk should be incorporated into any well thought out protocol. In this case it's not.
The complete lack of awareness about the risks of playing with a concussion makes me think coaches let you play with one too many concussions when you were younger.

Would it have been nice to have Adams today? Yes. But I'm not gonna complain about prioritizing health over today's game

Reaction Score
Trying to remember the last time I heard booing at a home game (not directed at the officials/opposition).
I remember a game
Where there was booing and Calhoun raised his hands during a timeout to encourage it. Basically embarrassing his players

Reaction Score
Booing college kids is pretty sad IMO, especially a team that has 3 starters out due to injury.

Reaction Score
Booing college kids is pretty sad IMO, especially a team that has 3 starters out due to injury.
Correction, the 3 best players on the team.

Reaction Score
Did a few threads just get deleted on here (namely the one calling for Ollies head) or was I blocked from them?

C

Chief00

The complete lack of awareness about the risks of playing with a concussion makes me think coaches let you play with one too many concussions when you were younger.

Would it have been nice to have Adams today? Yes. But I'm not gonna complain about prioritizing health over today's game

The usual swallow nonsense that doesn't even remotely respond to the question I asked?
There is conclusive evidence regarding life long head injuries from football and boxing due to repeated head trauma. What evidence are you citing for basketball?
I am actually friends with someone who did some great ground breaking academic work on this subject during the 1980's and 1990's. He battled conventional thinking at the time which wasn't based on science. You are making the same mistake in another way.

Please note, I did not say if Adams should have played - rather I asked why the protocol is the same for basketball as it is for football given evidence indicating the risk is different.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The level of ineptitude this offense is showing is astounding. And that's with a ton of open shots. Not to mention lay ups and just plain losing the ball approaching the basket.

No excuses. This is just lousy offense. Adams or no Adams.

Purvis was 5 for 22. 1-13 from three. The team was 4-28 from three. That's. 14%. And a ton of them were wide open. It's sad to watch.

which game are you talking about? because they all look the same to me.

:rolleyes:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
reading these threads, one has to notice there are an awful lot of excuse makers, it's like we're victims or something

it didn't use to be that way, our coach would never accept it, everything about the program, from the team to the fans was a whole lot tougher

now we're happy with participation awards, we cry when piss poor performances are ridiculed, oh boo hoo

well the people that fell in love with mental toughness and no excuses see the difference. We had bad games and bad seasons, we always competed. We're not competing. Oh, we're running around and trying hard, but we're not competing and this team has more than enough talent to compete. They have to figure it out, there's still time for this season.

I'm still a Kevin Ollie fan, he and his teams have to be better, he'll tell you that. Find your mojo Kevin, UConn nation needs you. You have at least a couple of seasons more to do so IMHO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom