#9 Arizona St vs #8 Southern California - 3/03/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#9 Arizona St vs #8 Southern California - 3/03/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Rogers is perfect from the field although she has missed one free throw. With nine points midway through the second quarter looks like she's easily going to hit her a 30 plus average against ASU.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
ASU had righted the ship and gotten back within 12, but quick 5-0 run to end the half has USC w/ a comfortable 39-22 lead.

Reaction Score
Roger's first half buzzer beater gives her 11 points in the first half on perfect shooting and extends lead to 39-22.

Let's hope what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Reaction Score
In the Trojan 7-point victory over the Devils on January 31st Rogers had 30 points seven rebound 6 assists. She's well on her way to a similar night.

Reaction Score
The Devil's high scoring for a quarter is 21 points. Their highest scoring half is 40. Not that the Devils would be expected to turn around offensively but to win this game assuming they could reach those scoring heights they would have to hold the Trojans to 22 in the second half.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Reaction Score
Rogers opens the second half with two assists and a layup. if she played ASU every game she'd be national player of the year.

Reaction Score
One of the few positives in this game for the Sun Devils is the play of freshman Maggie Besselink with 7 boards and 7 points.

Edit 10 boards 13 points Double double!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Trojans cool off to 65 per cent from the field, 54 per cent from three land.

Roger's a double-double 10 assists and 13 points.

Reaction Score
Trojans shoot the lights out of the arena (50 per cent from three land) in part because of very poor Sun Devil perimeter defense.

I was impressed with the Trojans interior offense although I suspect as the tournament continues they're not going to find three freshmen opposing them in the paint.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Fight On!!
Trojans looking for a repeat of 2014, having to go 4-0 in Pac12 Tournament to get to the Dance. They beat ASU and Stanford in 2014 too. Although they were a #5 seed in the Pac12, not a #8 seed.

Reaction Score
Everything is relative as he's doing a better job than his predecessor and given the lack of commitment by USC towards WCBB, I say yes, this second go round is better. Pili was/is hurt for most of the season and the team is competitive almost every game. I don't mind watching them now vs. past years.

That said, this will be an ugly game as ASU (along with UCF) are masters of the ugly, physical, poor shooting type games that everyone should rail against. They restrict movement, bump, hit, hold so much, the refs give up trying to be effective.
A match made in Heaven! Just hope ASU and UCF make the tournament and are matched up (WWF time).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have to say I really enjoyed that game but really disliked the announcers who seemed to be rooting for ASU “as a Great Comeback team of destiny” jwith a 6-9 conference record? :confused:
CTT has had a nice career but I find myself liking her teams less and less each year as I find her lack of offense and her bump, hit and thump defense against my basketball beliefs of free movement.
I don’t know that CTT has any great recruits coming in so what you see is what you get on this team that even if CTT is a great x’s and o’s Coach (she seems ok at best) she will be severely challenged next year to break the top 6. Her trend is down mostly due Az, OSU, UCLA and Oregon firmly showing they are better equipped for the next few years with better players. Stanford never had to worry about CTT.
On Trakh, I have come to root for him and think he’s ok at the x’s and o’s But behind CTT. He does have a good class coming in and his sophomores are very good. Again, he’s not breaking into the top 5 next year and will be battling for 6-8 again. His trend is flat until he can break into the top 5 and get some signature wins every year. .
Adia is trending up as RECRUITING is the #1 skill a coach has to have. Doug Bruno is a significantly better coach than Close, Adia, Brenda, McDuff and Q but yet his teams are not as good-why? Recruiting is why and the reason CTT is trending down.
I have no horse in this race but do like the PAC12 and feel fairly aware of what the teams are doing.
I do think WSU and there “globe trotting” international team is curious to watch the next few years if they’d build upon this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Jordyn Jenkins w/ maybe her best game of the season, 16 points on 8-10 shooting. Good timing.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have very, very strong reasons for liking CTT (it has to do with Rutgers). Of all the ASU sports that we despise WBB is not one of them. Sure, I don't want Arizona to lose to them, but I want them to be otherwise successful. I don't have any issue with CTT's coaching except that she does whine to the refs more than I like. That is a pet peeve and has never stopped me from liking a coach - Jody Conradt was always a favorite and a ref couldn't get within 5 feet of her without her "conversing".

That said, if I have to keep reading about the Kitties from someone who is a fan of the Arizona Normal School up north . . . It isn't funny. It was never funny.

As to the loss to ASU, Barnes simply said Arizona just didn't play well and ASU wanted it more. She said Aari was too much of the offense, and while it was necessary, she shouldn't have been. I don't think every win / loss is because of coaches being "outcoached". It can be, but it surely isn't always.

Reaction Score
One of the few positives in this game for the Sun Devils is the play of freshman Maggie Besselink with 7 boards and 7 points.

Edit 10 boards 13 points Double double!
It's good to see how she is progressing so far this season. Her last couple years in Canada had some rough patches due to injuries. Looking forward to her sophomore season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom