9:30 pm is TOO LATE | Page 2 | The Boneyard

9:30 pm is TOO LATE

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
ESPN is at it again. They figure UConn can win the ratings, plus adding in the top West coast team Stanford.

The fact of the matter is if you are 60+ its too late.
It is 8:30PM in Minneapolis, not too bad.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We’re becoming a fan base of whiners
I take it back. You do know us.

For what it’s worth one of the best things the board has ever done is eliminate game threads and going to chat. The number of hot takes there was unreal. I don’t mind a little New England pessimism, that’s pretty much a part of all of our DNA, but the amount of ad hominem attacks was staggering.

But as they say, winning solves everything. The negative Nelly‘s will all disappear until the next game.

Reaction Score
ESPN is at it again. They figure UConn can win the ratings, plus adding in the top West coast team Stanford.

Please, I'm 60+ and regularly start my night at 10 PM. Don't generalize.

Reaction Score
You could look at the 9:30 start time as actually being an accommodation to Paige so she has time to do selfies and sign autographs for all her fans and still have time for pregame warmup wink.png . Just imagine if it was a home game, she'd be swamped - oh wait it is a home game for Paige.
rolleyes.png
(first ever attempt with using emojis so be kind!)

I'm on the back half of 60's and not worried about being up and ready to watch our woman at 9:30. I'm more worried about having any chance of falling asleep afterwards!

Reaction Score
SC should get the early game this year, because they are the number one overall seed. The problem however is that over the last at least half-dozen years at least, UConn has always been assigned the late game for purposes of television ratings, even when they were the overall number one. That's blatantly unfair. It mean's less recovery time for the championship game, and has sometimes has east coast teams playing past midnight per the player's body clock, while teams from points further west are not.

I have brought this up on the board pretty much every year, and it always gets pooh-poohed by some here. But I'm telling you it matters for purposes of elite-level athletics, even for young college players. And look at how the Huskies have fared over their last four tries, each time having had to play the late game.

Stanford body clocks at scheduled game time: 6:30 pm
UConn body clocks at scheduled game time (and with one less day to adjust/prepare as they played on Monday): 9:30 pm
Advantage Stanford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The fact of the matter is if you are 60+ its too late.70 plus says take a nap

Reaction Score
If you're 60+, record the game. Then, watch it at 3:00 a.m when that midterm insomnia makes its regular appearance. It's great to be able to zip through the commercials and watch an entire game in about an hour. Then, enjoy a glass of Metamucil and go back to sleep for a few hours.

Seriously, I hate that networks schedule college basketball games in 2 hour blocks. The second game almost never starts on time, much less a tournament game. In fact, we'll be lucky if the game against Stanford starts before 9:45.

Reaction Score
SC should get the early game this year, because they are the number one overall seed. The problem however is that over the last at least half-dozen years at least, UConn has always been assigned the late game for purposes of television ratings, even when they were the overall number one. That's blatantly unfair. It mean's less recovery time for the championship game, and has sometimes has east coast teams playing past midnight per the player's body clock, while teams from points further west are not.

I have brought this up on the board pretty much every year, and it always gets pooh-poohed by some here. But I'm telling you it matters for purposes of elite-level athletics, even for young college players. And look at how the Huskies have fared over their last four tries, each time having had to play the late game.

Stanford body clocks at scheduled game time: 6:30 pm
UConn body clocks at scheduled game time (and with one less day to adjust/prepare as they played on Monday): 9:30 pm
Advantage Stanford.
It does matter. Geno has said so himself. The staff tries to mitigate this by shifting the players' days by having them go to bed and wake up a little later, have meals a little later, basically just shifting their entire day a couple of hours later. Not sure how effective that all is, but at least the staff tries to do something about it. Geno says he doesn't like having the team sit around all day and evening waiting to go. I get the feeling if the team had its way they'd have an afternoon start, like a 2 or 3 PM tip.

Reaction Score
It does matter. Why was Liv missing layup after layup last year's semi-final, and Edwards too even though she had a great tournament up to that point? It's not because they can't make layups. It's because they were taking those shots at around 11:00 pm when their natural body clocks were telling them it was time to go to sleep. Do you think they miss all those shots at 4:00 in the afternoon?

Look, I'm not trying to turn this into a "we're doomed" thread. I just wish that they would be consistent in giving the overall number one seed the early game each and every year. And consider moving the semi-final games to earlier time shots, even though it would negatively affect the ratings to some degree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree!

Reaction Score
Edited: South Carolina is the #1 seed so they get the earlier time, just like UConn played the early games in the early rounds.

Not everyone is against UConn :rolleyes: Can we please stop looking for conspiracies?
I actually believe UConn has more fans than any other WCBB team. I am 100% MSST but I love UConn and Geno!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom