86th New Haven Register All State Football Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

86th New Haven Register All State Football Team

Reaction Score
Those Pomperaug teams were awesome a few years back. Had the best team in the state a couple of those years but got hosed by biased New Haven Register poll voting.
How about the other statewide polls?
They others don't really matter, never did, at the end of the season. The top ranked team in the final Register poll has been the de facto state champ since the Waskowitz Trophy was discontinued in the 1970's. During the years when the Waskowitz Trophy and the Register poll was done concurrently, the voting for both was almost always the same. I can recall only two times (1964 and 1969) over twenty years when the voting in the final Register poll was different than in the voting for the Waskowitz Trophy. Back in those days the Waskowitz Trophy as voted on by the state sportswriters carried more weight than the final Register poll. Nowadays with Waskowitz Trophy no longer given out the final Register poll takes the cake. The presenting of the Waskowitz Trophy was begun in 1933.

I'm confused - so after the Waskowitz Trophy/poll faded away the NH Register poll became biased?

Reaction Score
Not the grammar police here but someone is an idiot for making a perfectly reasonable comment ?????? Is this forum not for that?

Very good examples here of very good college players. Here is one going a ways back in the pros...
Joe Morris (American football) - Wikipedia Ray Rice a heck of a RB was only 5'8".

No attack Mick just a difference of opinion on this topic. Your opinions on this make it sound like you would buy shoes that don't fit but they are in style...
I swear some of you people are illiterate.

Reaction Score
I'm confused - so after the Waskowitz Trophy/poll faded away the NH Register poll became biased?
His knowledge of Connecticut high school football is very deep. His opinions on the matter are astoundingly awful takes for someone who possesses said information

Reaction Score
His knowledge of Connecticut high school football is very deep. His opinions on the matter are astoundingly awful takes for someone who possesses said information
Name my astoundingly awful opinions on CT High School Football!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol huskymedic. Now what happened in 1964 and 1969???? You just quoted me on it. How stupid can you be???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol huskymedic. Now what happened in 1964 and 1969???? You just quoted me on it. How stupid can you be???

I may be stupid but you didn’t answer the question - are you saying that 1964 and 1969 were “a few years back” and those were the years that the NH Register was biased?

Reaction Score
I may be stupid but you didn’t answer the question - are you saying that 1964 and 1969 were “a few years back” and those were the years that the NH Register was biased?
I'm not going to waste my time with you in some ridiculous chess match, just take off your stupid hat, put on your thinking cap and figure it out yourself.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to waste my time with you in some ridiculous chess match, just take off your stupid hat, put on your thinking cap and figure it out yourself.

Got it. Only on the BY is 53 years ago - “a few years back”.

Reaction Score
Ok I'll bite, so you're challenging me on my posts about "Pomperaug a few years back" and my history lesson on the Waskowitz Trophy vs the Register poll. What exactly do you disagree with????

Reaction Score
Name my astoundingly awful opinions on CT High School Football!!!
Almost all of them lol. You seem to process the information and then draw a terrible conclusion.

Reaction Score
Almost all of them lol. You seem to process the information and then draw a terrible conclusion.
Just come out and name two or three of my opinions on CT HS football that you disagree with? I mean if you can which I doubt. Back up your argument, or do you still think Lockwood is only 5'7" and 170lbs. Lol

Reaction Score
Short is not important. You can be a load at 5-7, 190.

Sproles was only 5-6.

Darren Sproles Career Highlights "Lightning Bug"

I never said you can't play the position at 5'7, but I did say you have to make up for it in other areas. This all started with the Godrey kid on the preface that he doesn't have top tier speed. Just because players have played a position undersized doesn't change the fact that they were undersized for the position.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Short is not important. You can be a load at 5-7, 190.

Sproles was only 5-6.

Darren Sproles Career Highlights "Lightning Bug"

I think all JMick is rightfully pointing out is that the odds of being successful at that size is very low. For every Sprolee there are probably 50 RBs at that size that never got more than spot duty at the D1 level let alone play pro. He even said you have to be very fast to make up for it because light guys are naturally an easy bring down vs the heavy.

Reaction Score
Just come out and name two or three of my opinions on CT HS football that you disagree with? I mean if you can which I doubt. Back up your argument, or do you still think Lockwood is only 5'7" and 170lbs. Lol
Just in the context of this thread, the 2004 Pomperaug team is the only one that might have deserved a #1 ranking. It's their only state championship
I'll also stand by my idea that lockwood is not 5'11 200. just because he's listed at something doesn't mean he is that big. teams lie about height/weight every year

Reaction Score
Ok I'll bite, so you're challenging me on my posts about "Pomperaug a few years back" and my history lesson on the Waskowitz Trophy vs the Register poll. What exactly do you disagree with????

Go back and read the thread - All I was asking was what year was Pomperaug supposedly “hosed by the biased NH Register” and did the other statewide polls “hose” them as well the year in question... not sure what triggered you about that but it sounds you were talking about something that happened over 50 years ago (1964/1969). If not you could have easily provided the year it happened.

Your persecution complex is a wonder to watch...

Reaction Score
Go back and read the thread - All I was asking was what year was Pomperaug supposedly “hosed by the biased NH Register” and did the other statewide polls “hose” them as well the year in question... not sure what triggered you about that but it sounds you were talking about something that happened over 50 years ago (1964/1969). If not you could have easily provided the year it happened.

Your persecution complex is a wonder to watch...
I have a customer who defines "a few" the same way rob does. Every time he calls he says "please send me a few widgets." I have to put a number in the system so I ask him exactly how many he wants, and he always says "20 or 25. whatever you have."

Reaction Score
I have a customer who defines "a few" the same way rob does. Every time he calls he says "please send me a few widgets." I have to put a number in the system so I ask him exactly how many he wants, and he always says "20 or 25. whatever you have."

... and then when you send the wrong amount - you’re the one who is “stupid” I bet!

Reaction Score
I never said you can't play the position at 5'7, but I did say you have to make up for it in other areas. This all started with the Godrey kid on the preface that he doesn't have top tier speed. Just because players have played a position undersized doesn't change the fact that they were undersized for the position.

Actually you did say that "yeah if he's 5'7" he isn't big enough to play RB." After making that unequivical (and indefensible) statement, you did throw in some qualifiers.

When I questioned it you called me an idiot. You seem to want it both ways.

I stand by my post. "5-7 is a great height for a RB. He would disappear behind the o-line. Too tall is a bigger problem at RB than too short." And I could write of list of names dozens long (but won't) going from Joe Morris to Triston Holliday to Maurice Jones-Drew.

Being short is not a liability for a running back. Quite the opposite, it is an advantage. As Joe Morris said, "I'm short but I'm not small."

Reaction Score
Actually you did say that "yeah if he's 5'7" he isn't big enough to play RB." After making that unequivical (and indefensible) statement, you did throw in some qualifiers.

When I questioned it you called me an idiot. You seem to want it both ways.

I stand by my post. "5-7 is a great height for a RB. He would disappear behind the o-line. Too tall is a bigger problem at RB than too short." And I could write of list of names dozens long (but won't) going from Joe Morris to Triston Holliday to Maurice Jones-Drew.

Being short is not a liability for a running back. Quite the opposite, it is an advantage. As Joe Morris said, "I'm short but I'm not small."
you have such an issue with context. I said if he's 5'7 he isn't big enough because he isn't fast or quick enough to make up for it. You have to read the posts before that to understand the conversation. You don't have the intellectual capacity to do that, though.

Reaction Score
Just in the context of this thread, the 2004 Pomperaug team is the only one that might have deserved a #1 ranking. It's their only state championship
I'll also stand by my idea that lockwood is not 5'11 200. just because he's listed at something doesn't mean he is that big. teams lie about height/weight every year
So we disagree, ok, but "astoundingly awful opinions"? Come on.
There is a post game interview with Lockwood on the web after Killingly beat New London. It was given by The New London Day, and the reporter is a guy that I worked with many years ago covering HS football in the state. That reporter is 6'3" and about 230 lbs, or at least he was when I knew him. So draw your own conclusions. On Pomperaug I think the 2009 team was also deserving, despite the close loss to NDWH.

Reaction Score
I think all JMick is rightfully pointing out is that the odds of being successful at that size is very low. For every Sprolee there are probably 50 RBs at that size that never got more than spot duty at the D1 level let alone play pro. He even said you have to be very fast to make up for it because light guys are naturally an easy bring down vs the heavy.
It’s also becoming harder and harder to be a smaller RB because quite frankly the Lineman and LB’s are so much faster than the days of Barry Sanders and Joe Morris. So nowadays you can get caught by one of them more easily and your shelf life will be reduced from the already 2-3 years as a RB down to nill. I was watching the PSU/UW game yesterday and Vita Vea was on the punt team and actually took a good angle and tackled a kick returner. He’s all of 350 lbs.
Thats the difference to me nowadays.

Reaction Score
Go back and read the thread - All I was asking was what year was Pomperaug supposedly “hosed by the biased NH Register” and did the other statewide polls “hose” them as well the year in question...

Oh so it wasn't a challenge? Just a simple question? Now I'm all confused. Especially when you conveniently deleted your post where you say you were making a challenge to my post that I couldn't refute. If you think I feel persecuted by internet hacks like you and Mick, then you need to get out more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh so it wasn't a challenge? Just a simple question? Now I'm all confused. Especially when you conveniently deleted your post where you say you were making a challenge to my post. If you think I feel persecuted by internet hacks like you and Mick, then you need to get out more.

I was just trying to figure out what you were blabbering about w/ biased polls - it's all there in post #26. I didn't delete any posts- I edited out the part where I called you a clueless clown (thought it was unfair and playing down to your name calling level - guess I should have left it)

Reaction Score
I was just trying to figure out what you were blabbering about w/ biased polls - it's all there in post #26. I didn't delete any posts- I edited out the part where I called you a clueless clown (thought it was unfair and playing down to your name calling level - guess I should have left it)
Ok I'll call you a name too, a god damn liar!!! Happy New Year!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom