#8 UConn v. #7 Boston University Terriers (Sunday 12/11/22 @ 2p @ XL Center). Game on ESPN+ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#8 UConn v. #7 Boston University Terriers (Sunday 12/11/22 @ 2p @ XL Center). Game on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn was not gonna win them all. UConn had a really good first 1/2 of the season. UConn also had a lot of puck luck in the first 1/2 as well. Can’t wait to see what happens in the 2nd 1/2 of the season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm normally a curmudgeon, but I'm actually trying to look at the first half of the season as a whole. On balance, they've wildly overachieved for such a massive roster turnover. There are major issues that need fixing, but the team is so far ahead of where I expected that I'm going to try not to be mad about the bad last few weeks.

Much weaker second-half schedule should help. Maybe the new barn does too.

I hope you all have a great holiday and maybe I'll see some of you at LIU (I am a complete sicko and going to that away game, yes).

Reaction Score
Stupid penalties are killing this team it's so frustrating. The final score felt like 5-2, very little sustained o-zone pressure from the Huskies yesterday until the 3rd felt like they were skating uphill all night.

Reaction Score
Team officially in a rut. Whenever they get back to campus, they have to return to basics. Cav has to earn the money now. Get a PP installed that works. Work on pairings and figure out the right consequences for lack of discipline.

The PP needs something to get them going. I still like Spetz at the point or the top of the circle - his one time shot is up there with anyone in cawlidge hockey - uh, when he hits his mark. BU really pressured far out all the way to the point and circles and played aggressive to disrupt - the never merely stayed in a box. I'm not sure if that's consistent with the Terrier's PK style in general or if Joe Perrone knew exactly how to foil an already weak PP, but they executed really well. In the past I heard that Joe was responsible for coaching UConn's PP unit, and other than the Letunov/Thompson connection he wasn't able to get it going either. We now know it wasn't him, so who can they tap to get the unit working to its potential with Wood/Tverberg and the rest of the team. And Schandor has been in quite a slump - would be great to have him tap a few in - kinda similar to Johnny Evans slump last year.

Tverberg and Bradley seem to be marked men by refs. The time away for the next two weeks should be used for reflection - I love their grit and they are standup players, but they need to channel it into plays that are less chinzy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple observations from someone who hasn't watched nearly as much as most on this board (so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

1 - the second period seems to be our kryptonite. I don't know if it's the longer distance from the defensive zone for a line change our just mental lapses but we seem to drop our quality of play in the second period.

2 - it seems that most of our opponents do a far better job of clogging the area in front of the net than we do. I don't know if our strategy is to be more open, attacking the perimeter or if things just fall this way but I've noticed this for a while now (fortunately it hasn't hurt us all that much until recently).

Reaction Score
The PP needs something to get them going. I still like Spetz at the point or the top of the circle - his one time shot is up there with anyone in cawlidge hockey - uh, when he hits his mark. BU really pressured far out all the way to the point and circles and played aggressive to disrupt - the never merely stayed in a box. I'm not sure if that's consistent with the Terrier's PK style in general or if Joe Perrone knew exactly how to foil an already weak PP, but they executed really well. In the past I heard that Joe was responsible for coaching UConn's PP unit, and other than the Letunov/Thompson connection he wasn't able to get it going either. We now know it wasn't him, so who can they tap to get the unit working to its potential with Wood/Tverberg and the rest of the team. And Schandor has been in quite a slump - would be great to have him tap a few in - kinda similar to Johnny Evans slump last year.

Tverberg and Bradley seem to be marked men by refs. The time away for the next two weeks should be used for reflection - I love their grit and they are standup players, but they need to channel it into plays that are less chinzy.
As of today we rank #52 nationally in PP percentage (.128), but #3 in Penalty Kill percentage (.906). Yesterday was a perfect reflection of that: 0 for 5 on PP, 5 for 5 on PK.

Faceoffs? #54 at .459.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger