#8 UConn v. #12 Merrimack (Tuesday 11/29/22 @7p @Lawler Rink & Friday 12/2/22 @7p @XL Center) Games on ESPN+ | Page 5 | The Boneyard

#8 UConn v. #12 Merrimack (Tuesday 11/29/22 @7p @Lawler Rink & Friday 12/2/22 @7p @XL Center) Games on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lost in all the discussion of the officiating (I, too, thought it was awful, as did my friend sitting next to me.........a former linemate of Wayne Gretzky who KNOWS hockey):

Terness had a bad game. Three of the goals allowed were soft. That's two bad games in succession.

Reaction Score
There are no words regarding that video issue. Especially when we lead the entire hockey world in boarding calls and then when it could potentially be called in our favor the video doesn’t work?
Insane.
And then following that a merrimac guy clearly flops to draw a call that they score on and then they get a 5 on 3 for two minutes. Just crazy.

But yeah Terness is shell shocked right now no doubt.

Reaction Score
You know the officiating is bad when they whistle Bradley for an interference (very much deserved) but UConn maintains the puck and they don't blow the play dead until a Merrimack player touches it. Refs didn't know what was going on tonight total show, lost control of the game. Commissioner already has an email in his inbox with video from the two missed boarding calls. Expecting another call to Cav on monday with an apology like he had to do last year with the goalie interference. Missing calls are one thing, putting kids in danger on clearly missed boarding calls are inexcusable. You can seriously get hurt from boarding and hitting from behind and to somehow miss these penalities within a 5-second span of time one of which was very clearly a major is incompetence. I don't want to see Potvin or Benedetto in Hartford again this season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Another reason not to play in that flophouse of a building. Now its helping cost them games. Cool.

That said, their lack of composure was telling. I get being mad over the missed call, but you can't implode like that. A reminder that this is a young team.

Reaction Score
Another reason not to play in that flophouse of a building. Now its helping cost them games. Cool.

That said, their lack of composure was telling. I get being mad over the missed call, but you can't implode like that. A reminder that this is a young team.
First loss at "that flophouse" all year

Reaction Score
Wait, the video was down?
I was at the game, but I’m sure ESPN+ had the hit clipped and on repeat, no?

I know for a fact they showed the play on the Jumbotron during intermission

I don’t know official rules, but couldn’t the officials use the playback from the ESPN feed?

For something like an injured player, they could have waited to get an alternate feed to get an accurate look.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Been playing and watching hockey for over 40 years.

I've never seen 2 boarding calls on the same play. Ever. At any level.

Absolute hose job last night - i literally lost my voice screaming at the rampant incompetence.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Lost in all the discussion of the officiating (I, too, thought it was awful, as did my friend sitting next to me.........a former linemate of Wayne Gretzky who KNOWS hockey):

Terness had a bad game. Three of the goals allowed were soft. That's two bad games in succession.

The rebound one early was all him - a bad one. Most of the others were much less so.

Reaction Score
I thought when the officials were looking at the video it was gonna be at the very least a penalty for boarding and were looking to see if it was a major penalty. Absolute crock of officiating.

The horn was totally malfunctioning, and the moisture from the Zamboni had an effect at least in the early periods for both teams as I notice guys tripping more then normal.

Aside from the chit show last night just got totally outplayed and could never overcome the 1 goal deficit twice would’ve been nice to at least be down 1 after the 2nd period. Got a needed week till the next game let’s get things corrected and get better from this.

Reaction Score

Agreed he had a bad game, but remember three weeks ago today? We were playing PC at home after getting a SW in Providence on Friday night when Terness was a veritable wall. Sergeev was the question mark and he was in goal and it wasn't going well. We were down 3-0 in the first and 6-4 late in the third. Cav stayed with Sergeev and I think we can agree that it was a watershed moment for him and the team. The team fought back and Sergeev hung in there and played very well down the stretch, in OT and in the SW. He confidence was buttressed and now he is riding high.

Terness is in a deep funk now, but he too can get out of it. Cav has a tough coaching week ahead of him. We need only one goalie next week and then they're off for almost three weeks. You want to leave for break on a high note and Sergeev is probably the best option to do so. BU will be a bear and we better have our "A" game dialed up! As for Terness, let's focus on the positive play he has shown all year up until Cornell @ MSG. Cav has to bring him back confidence-wise because it is always good (a luxury?) to have two competent and confident goalies down the stretch. Cav made the right moves with Sergeev and he needs to replicate that with Terness.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Agreed he had a bad game, but remember three weeks ago today? We were playing PC at home after getting a SW in Providence on Friday night when Terness was a veritable wall. Sergeev was the question mark and he was in goal and it wasn't going well. We were down 3-0 in the first and 6-4 late in the third. Cav stayed with Sergeev and I think we can agree that it was a watershed moment for him and the team. The team fought back and Sergeev hung in there and played very well down the stretch, in OT and in the SW. He confidence was buttressed and now he is riding high.

Terness is in a deep funk now, but he too can get out of it. Cav has a tough coaching week ahead of him. We need only one goalie next week and then they're off for almost three weeks. You want to leave for break on a high note and Sergeev is probably the best option to do so. BU will be a bear and we better have our "A" game dialed up! As for Terness, let's focus on the positive play he has shown all year up until Cornell @ MSG. Cav has to bring him back confidence-wise because it is always good (a luxury?) to have two competent and confident goalies down the stretch. Cav made the right moves with Sergeev and he needs to replicate that with Terness.
Let’s not forget, Cav pulled Terness last night and Sergeev played the 3rd period. That’s a rare move by Cav. Amazingly, Sergeev only had to make 2 saves in the 3rd. We outshot them 33-19 overall. 16-2 in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You were sitting next to Jari Kurri at the UConn hockey game last night? Coolio

Reaction Score
You were sitting next to Jari Kurri at the UConn hockey game last night? Coolio
No. Kevin Nugent, who was his linemate (and enforcer) in Gretzky's first pro year, with the Indianapolis Racers of the WHA. Kevin played at Notre Dame, is my friend and neighbor. He and I attend several Husky games together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom