#8 Penn State down 30 at Nebraska | The Boneyard

#8 Penn State down 30 at Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Seems like the end of a pretty nice run for the Lions who had won 10 of their last 11 to put them atop the B10 at 12-3. Really came apart tonight.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wow - four PSU players with 4 fouls apiece right now (4:30 left in the 2nd half) - also one player fouled out for Nebraska and another with 4 fouls.

Ouch. Striped shirts having a big impact it seems.

Reaction Score
When you are hot from 3 point range like Nebraska did tonight (15-21 right now with 3 minutes left) you are going to get a big lead. Live and die by the 3 and Nebraska thrived by it tonight.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Some of us have some SoS we'd like maintained here! Jeez...

Reaction Score
So does this mean Lincoln would not be a preferable regional site for UCONN?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Ouch. Striped shirts having a big impact it seems.

Obviously didn't watch the game, so I don't know what actually happened, but I don't really understand the comment. Isn't it just as likely that one could say "the players' inability to play without fouling is having a big impact"?

It's like when some get cranky at a whistle blown in the last few seconds of a game and "argue" that the "players should decide the game." Well, didn't they just do that by fouling?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Obviously didn't watch the game, so I don't know what actually happened, but I don't really understand the comment. Isn't it just as likely that one could say "the players' inability to play without fouling is having a big impact"?

It's like when some get cranky at a whistle blown in the last few seconds of a game and "argue" that the "players should decide the game." Well, didn't they just do that by fouling?
It was because the officials every 3 Nebraska as good.:(

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

1. "It seems" is an indication that I really don't know what happened, either. :)
2. Having that many of your starters with 4 fouls with significant time remaining in the 2nd half is highly unusual, IMO.
3. The PSU starters average 12.2 fouls per game, with Talia East being the only one who averages over 3 fouls per game (3.1). The others are around 2, except for Waldner who averages 2.9. With something like 6 mins left (I would have to go back and check) , these players had 19 fouls between them. Having a group total that far above their season average is much more unusual than just having one or two players pick up a lot of fouls on a particular evening.

It is certainly true that the PSU players had an 'inability to play without fouling' in the eyes of the referees....! But the stats make it seem (there's that word again) that the refs were calling a pretty tight game. Of courses, it could have been the players were extra aggressive and sloppy after getting killed so bad, frustration fouls, etc. Quite possible also. Being down 25 points will do that to some teams...or possibly the starters played extra heavy minutes, and were tired. So you're right in that it could have been a lot of things. But the numbers just jumped out at me.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
1. "It seems" is an indication that I really don't know what happened, either. :)
2. Having that many of your starters with 4 fouls with significant time remaining in the 2nd half is highly unusual, IMO.
3. The PSU starters average 12.2 fouls per game, with Talia East being the only one who averages over 3 fouls per game (3.1). The others are around 2, except for Waldner who averages 2.9. With something like 6 mins left (I would have to go back and check) , these players had 19 fouls between them. Having a group total that far above their season average is much more unusual than just having one or two players pick up a lot of fouls on a particular evening.

It is certainly true that the PSU players had an 'inability to play without fouling' in the eyes of the referees....! But the stats make it seem (there's that word again) that the refs were calling a pretty tight game. Of courses, it could have been the players were extra aggressive and sloppy after getting killed so bad, frustration fouls, etc. Quite possible also. Being down 25 points will do that to some teams...or possibly the starters played extra heavy minutes, and were tired. So you're right in that it could have been a lot of things. But the numbers just jumped out at me.

Part of the abundance of foul calls was a result of refs being taken in by many 'flops,' I thought. Some were ridiculously obvious, but 'fouls' resulted. Went both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom