8 Man Rotation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

8 Man Rotation

Reaction Score
So let's get rid of the coach based on three games / a bad start to the season? Ok. As far as the coaching staff is concerned maybe some changes need to be made but I'm giving the Head Coach a chance to correct things for next season. I think he'll learn from what's happening now. After all , people are forgetting that the guy is still learning to be a head coach .

You seem to be ignoring the mediocrity of the past 2 seasons as well. One NCAA tournament win in three seasons just isn't acceptable for a program of UConn's stature. How many times did UConn fall behind by double digits in the first half this year? Why are inbound plays so much more difficult than they are for opposing teams? I am just not seeing any signs of a well coached team over the past 2 1/2 seasons.

All the excuses and complacency are mind boggling.

Last edited:

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
You seem to be ignoring the mediocrity of the past 2 seasons as well. One NCAA tournament win in three seasons just isn't acceptable for a program of UConn's stature.

All the excuses and complacency are mind boggling.

I'm sorry but my Fandom includes patience and allows a relatively new / young head coach time to grow and learn. My Fandom also allows me to realize that the team has been hit with a ridiculous amount of misfortune this season so I cut the coach some slack.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Lol. Nonsense. VJ was a top 70 recruit. Durham was top 50. Sampson and Haith have zero top 100 combined. And they wouldn't take our roster? LOL.
I think the most misleading stat in the history of stats is he recruiting ranks given to players who have never played college ball.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but my Fandom includes patience and allows a relatively new / young head coach time to grow and learn. My Fandom also allows me to realize that the team has been hit with a ridiculous amount of misfortune this season so I cut the coach some slack.
Your fandom, I assume, also allows you to go back an extra year to get to Kevin Ollie winning a national championship.

You people who just look at recruiting numbers don't seem to have any clue as to how basketball works functionally.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
So let's get rid of the coach based on three games / a bad start to the season? Ok. As far as the coaching staff is concerned maybe some changes need to be made but I'm giving the Head Coach a chance to correct things for next season. I think he'll learn from what's happening now. After all , people are forgetting that the guy is still learning to be a head coach .

Ollie is fine as a head coach. He needs to learn how to be a program manager. He has to put together a better staff.
I do not know who is advising him on his recruits but almost every college team I see has skilled shooters. We have none.
Some have rough and tumble rebounders. We have none. Some teams have smart players . We have none. Even if all of the injuries had not occurred, I do not think this would change. Every recruit comes in with a high ranking and lots of hype and then fails to live up to expectations. Larrier and Adams are the only recruits in the Ollie era I have seen that have real bb talent. But, it is the lack of bb smarts that is really killing the team as it makes silly play after silly play.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
. Larrier and Adams are the only recruits in the Ollie era I have seen that have real bb talent. But, it is the lack of bb smarts that is really killing the team as it makes silly play after silly play.

Alterique doesn't have real basketball talent? Come on.

Reaction Score
I can understand that. I just don't think that the result would be different given the lack of depth and experience.

Plenty of guys would die to have a rotation of Purvis, Vital and Jackson to cover the 2 and the 3? Come on champs.

It's a bit of a difficult topic because, while on one hand I agree with you, this also assumes a predetermined outcome regarding the development of our three seniors. And that's the thing. Even though Vital and Jackson have been rushed into oversized roles, they aren't the ones losing us these games. Our seniors are.

It's quite possible that the three seniors weren't going to get it regardless of who they played for. It's quite possible that the erosion of the games most basic fundamentals that we have seen over the past couple years - an inability to seal the post, pass through the interior, screen with purpose, pivot away from traffic instead of into it... - lies purely on the shoulders of the players.

We can't know that, though, and in any event, Ollie recruited these kids and determined that he wanted to stick with them. This is unequivocally his program, and while the sanctions may have had a delayed effect, there is still plenty to work with when compared with what he did in 2012-13.

So I don't think it is a matter of giving him a pass or not giving him a pass. This season is just something that happened. There are plenty of extenuating circumstances to contextualize all this to be sure, but our three seniors still don't know how to play basketball and it is simply not something that can be written off. My suspicion is that this crop of players just didn't work out and that the next batch will return things to normalcy, but what's done is done and if he's going to be (deservedly) credited for the amazing work of his past teams than he needs to be blamed for this one.

Reaction Score
Did you watch Alterique?

Eyes. Are you like Jeff Goodman listening to 5-20 of your basketball cognoscenti. Alterique has burst explosiveness to the hole & extra great defensive quickness. He can shoot better through drills ... There's no poor form - aka Taliek Brown - and he will be better with games and reps and training.

Reaction Score
Ollie can coach. END OF STORY. He out coached izzo, Donavan, cal, and Hoiberg on the biggest stage when no one gave him a chance. Ollie is a huge reason bazz stayed and didn't transfer. Had ollie not been here we'd already be irrelevant. So the hate he gets on this board is absolutely astounding. The bottom line is because of INJURIES we are not a complete team. To say that vance and CV would start on any other GOOD college team is absolutely laughable. And no KS would not take our guys over the ones he has know. Did any of the ones saying that watch the game??? Houston is pretty good. They're a fringe top 25 tournament team, and they would be with ollie as there coach also. Ollie has earned our patience. He is not leading us to irrelevance he saved us from it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom