8 Man Rotation | The Boneyard

8 Man Rotation

Reaction Score
I've been reading on this board and TOS all about how about we still have 8 players, and that is a normal rotation for a team. While that may be true lets look at the way the roster was set up before the season, and what has essentially become since the Oklahoma State game:

Starting lineup:

Adams
Gilbert/Purvis
Larrier
Facey
Brim

I say Gilbert/Purvis in the starting lineup because I think Ollie wasn't sure what direction to go in to start the season. If Gilbert had played well, I really think he would have brought Purvis off the bench to be the 6th man.

Coming off the bench we had Diarra and Enoch coming in to the play the 4/5. Durham was behind them, and was a candidate to redshirt based on how his knees felt.

After Gilbert/Purvis came off the bench, we had Vital has our 4th guard, and Jackson backing up Larrier, and maybe playing the 4 against smaller teams.

Now flash forward to what we are seeing now:

Adams is clearly our best player, and has to play every minute of every game for us to be successful. The poor guy played 45 minutes yesterday coming off a concussion.

Purvis is a guy who I think KO has realized has to be a 20-25 minute a game player who comes in to play D and hopefully hit some shots. Now he has to start and again play almost every minute of every game, further exposing his major weaknesses.

Vital, our 4th guard (and a freshman to boot) is being asked to play 30+ minutes a game (40 with Adams hurt). This was a guy expected to play 5-10 minutes at best.

Jackson, another guy who was expected to play 10 minutes a game, is starting most games and playing 25-30 minutes (more with Adams out). Yes his shooting hasn't been what we wanted to see, but he is getting used to the speed of the game.

Durham is clearly knocking the rust off after not playing competitive bball for 2 years. I also think he is on a "pitch count" so to speak as I am sure the staff wasn't expecting to play him this much so soon, and they are really trying to limit his minutes.

Enoch is a raw player. He is only 18 as a sophomore. His defense needs to improve, but his offense will be huge for us the next 2 years.

Facey and Brimah are what they are at this point. If you want to blame part of their development on KO, then so be it. Facey is the same guy who had 14 and 9 against Duke 2 years ago, but then disappears in other games. They are just inconsistent players.

The bottom line is this: its not just the UCONN has an 8 man roster, its who exactly the players are that are playing, and the roles they are being put into. I pray that Vital, Jackson, Durham and Enoch are better players in the future for it. Our 3 seniors are just not good/consistent enough to carry this team, and Adams can't possibly do it all on his own. And guys that we though would be the 10th and 11th man on the roster are starters and playing starter minutes.

If we have a backcourt of Adams, Gilbert, MAL, Vital (and God willing Diallo) next year along with a healthy Larrier, we have upgraded the roster 100X. Throw in the experience for guys like Durham and Jackson (and Vital) and you really have something.

Reaction Score
Tired of excuses like this. We just lost to a team totally comprised of juco transfers and 2/3 star freshman. Our lineup, even with the injuries should be competitive in the American and on the NCAA bubble.

Tulsa & Houston would sign up for our roster in a second.

This mess is 100% on Ollie.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tired of excuses like this. We just lost to a team totally comprised of juco transfers and 2/3 star freshman. Our lineup, even with the injuries should be competitive in the American and on the NCAA bubble.

JUCO transfers have experience, freshman don't - that's why some coaches sign them - they would rather plug and play
I don't believe that KS or FH would take our roster as it sits now
I'm sure KO appreciates the fact that you feel he went out and injured Larrier, AG and Diarra - he had to since its 100% on him

H

huskymagic

I'm sure KO appreciates the fact that you feel he went out and injured Larrier, AG and Diarra

I'd venture that not only would both Haith and Sampson want our roster even the 8 healthy ones we now have more than Golem wanted his precious ring, but Sampson would have that Houston team undefeated instead of 12-3 and competing for a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. Some slightly hyperbolic food for thought.

P.S. Looking at the next 5 games we have at Memphis, a good UCF squad, Temple, Georgetown, SMU, anybody confident we can win any of those games. We are looking at 0-6 in the AAC think about that for a second.

Reaction Score
JUCO transfers have experience, freshman don't - that's why some coaches sign them - they would rather plug and play
I'm sure KO appreciates the fact that you feel he went out and injured Larrier, AG and Diarra - he had to since its 100% on him

Lol. Nonsense. VJ was a top 70 recruit. Durham was top 50. Sampson and Haith have zero top 100 combined. And they wouldn't take our roster? LOL.

Reaction Score

That's not what I said.

Reaction Score
There is a HUGE difference between having only 8 players, and being able to play the best 8 out of 13 (in our case 11) scholarship players. Why is it that so many here don't understand this?
Was just about to say this, sure most teams only play 8 guys. But they're playing the 8 guys who look the best and when Vital or Jackson seem overmatched you can bench them and play someone else. That's where only 8 guys hurts. No matter what any player does, he has to play big minutes and work through his struggles in game instead of during practice

Reaction Score
There is a HUGE difference between having only 8 players, and being able to play the best 8 out of 13 (in our case 11) scholarship players. Why is it that so many here don't understand this?
247sports composite:
RSr. Purvis #14
Sr. Facey #92
Sr. Brimah #242
So. Adams #23
So. Enoch #85
Fr. Durham #50
Fr. Jackson #77
Fr. Vital #166

A rotation with 6 top 100 players can't beat Tulsa? On Ollie.

Reaction Score
composite:
RSr. Purvis #14
Sr. Facey #92
Sr. Brimah #242
So. Adams #23
So. Enoch #85
Fr. Durham #50
Fr. Jackson #77
Fr. Vital #166

Exactly. Tulsa, Houston, heck even Auburn would swap rosters with us. This is all on Ollie.

Reaction Score

Some of you behave like you never watched College Basketball. Rosters are developed over each individual players development over mostly a 4 year career at UConn. With the 3 guys out ... and Adams limited and Vital out for Northeastern ... you have the perfect storm. What happened when Calhoun had to grab Greg Economou from the baseball team? Stop your frigging whining.

Reaction Score
composite:
RSr. Purvis #14
Sr. Facey #92
Sr. Brimah #242
So. Adams #23
So. Enoch #85
Fr. Durham #50
Fr. Jackson #77
Fr. Vital #166

Jackson and Vital are freshmen who probably would've gotten in only during garbage time had it not been for the injuries. High school rankings have little bearing on how a kid will perform in college. Rodney was a McD's AA. That status hasn't exactly translated to a dominant college game. And then you have to figure that fatigue becomes a factor as much as KO doesn't like to make excuses.

Reaction Score
Durham has been terrible, if they continue to struggle I'd like to see him get 20+ mins/game if he is ok knee wise. He has to play to see if he can regain his form

Lol. Nonsense. VJ was a top 70 recruit. Durham was top 50. Sampson and Haith have zero top 100 combined. And they wouldn't take our roster? LOL.

Reaction Score
I've been reading on this board and TOS all about how about we still have 8 players, and that is a normal rotation for a team. While that may be true lets look at the way the roster was set up before the season, and what has essentially become since the Oklahoma State game:

Starting lineup:

Adams
Gilbert/Purvis
Larrier
Facey
Brim

I say Gilbert/Purvis in the starting lineup because I think Ollie wasn't sure what direction to go in to start the season. If Gilbert had played well, I really think he would have brought Purvis off the bench to be the 6th man.

Coming off the bench we had Diarra and Enoch coming in to the play the 4/5. Durham was behind them, and was a candidate to redshirt based on how his knees felt.

After Gilbert/Purvis came off the bench, we had Vital has our 4th guard, and Jackson backing up Larrier, and maybe playing the 4 against smaller teams.

Now flash forward to what we are seeing now:

Adams is clearly our best player, and has to play every minute of every game for us to be successful. The poor guy played 45 minutes yesterday coming off a concussion.

Purvis is a guy who I think KO has realized has to be a 20-25 minute a game player who comes in to play D and hopefully hit some shots. Now he has to start and again play almost every minute of every game, further exposing his major weaknesses.

Vital, our 4th guard (and a freshman to boot) is being asked to play 30+ minutes a game (40 with Adams hurt). This was a guy expected to play 5-10 minutes at best.

Jackson, another guy who was expected to play 10 minutes a game, is starting most games and playing 25-30 minutes (more with Adams out). Yes his shooting hasn't been what we wanted to see, but he is getting used to the speed of the game.

Durham is clearly knocking the rust off after not playing competitive bball for 2 years. I also think he is on a "pitch count" so to speak as I am sure the staff wasn't expecting to play him this much so soon, and they are really trying to limit his minutes.

Enoch is a raw player. He is only 18 as a sophomore. His defense needs to improve, but his offense will be huge for us the next 2 years.

Facey and Brimah are what they are at this point. If you want to blame part of their development on KO, then so be it. Facey is the same guy who had 14 and 9 against Duke 2 years ago, but then disappears in other games. They are just inconsistent players.

The bottom line is this: its not just the UCONN has an 8 man roster, its who exactly the players are that are playing, and the roles they are being put into. I pray that Vital, Jackson, Durham and Enoch are better players in the future for it. Our 3 seniors are just not good/consistent enough to carry this team, and Adams can't possibly do it all on his own. And guys that we though would be the 10th and 11th man on the roster are starters and playing starter minutes.

If we have a backcourt of Adams, Gilbert, MAL, Vital (and God willing Diallo) next year along with a healthy Larrier, we have upgraded the roster 100X. Throw in the experience for guys like Durham and Jackson (and Vital) and you really have something.
So if Enoch is raw - and only 18 as sophmore - why wasnt he redshirted last season. I dont care if Brimah was hurt. Enoch needed the year to develop.

Reaction Score

What people have been saying, though, is that there are plenty of guys who would die to coach those eight players, including a few of the coaches we've already lost to.

Reaction Score
What people have been saying, though, is that there are plenty of guys who would die to coach those eight players, including a few of the coaches we've already lost to.
I can understand that. I just don't think that the result would be different given the lack of depth and experience.

Reaction Score
Durham has been terrible, if they continue to struggle I'd like to see him get 20+ mins/game if he is ok knee wise. He has to play to see if he can regain his form
I expect a post like this from you "he's terrible so play him" smh ‍♂️

Reaction Score
Yes, genius, he was a top 50 recruit so supposedly someone thought he has skills. He's been awful so far, but maybe that's due to lack of playing in last 2 years, so let's play him more and see if he can regain some form. The season is pretty close to totally lost unless Hami someone shows up ready to play in the next 2 weeks

He's scored 11 pts in 95 minutes and had 10 rebs

I expect a post like this from you "he's terrible so play him" smh ‍♂️

Reaction Score

Plenty of guys would die to have a rotation of Purvis, Vital and Jackson to cover the 2 and the 3? Come on champs.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
composite:
RSr. Purvis #14
Sr. Facey #92
Sr. Brimah #242
So. Adams #23
So. Enoch #85
Fr. Durham #50
Fr. Jackson #77
Fr. Vital #166

I see only one true soph. point guard that has to play the entire game 100% and flawless for us to even compete . One true point guard people. One. Please stop the madness. We don't have a complete team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
His JUCOs and a few of his freshman outplayed both VJ and Durham
Just because they were ranked doesn't mean they would play well out of school
If you think KS would take our current roster over his at this time you are out of your mind
VJ and Durham would see zero playing time at Houston right now

Reaction Score
I see only one true soph. point guard that has to play the entire game 100% and flawless for us to even compete . One true point guard people. One. Please stop the madness. We don't have a complete team.

We also don't have a very good coaching staff or much basketball IQ. We seem to recruit lots of athletes, but very few fundamentally sound players with a good head for the game. Losing 2 key players and a role player to injuries hurt a great deal, but this team didn't exactly play well against the likes of Northeastern, Wagner, and Loyola Marymount prior to the injuries.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
We also don't have a very good coaching staff or much basketball IQ. We seem to recruit lots of athletes, but very few fundamentally sound players with a good head for the game. Losing 2 key players and a role player to injuries hurt a great deal, but this team didn't exactly play well against the likes of Northeastern, Wagner, and Loyola Marymount prior to the injuries.

So let's get rid of the coach based on three games / a bad start to the season? Ok. As far as the coaching staff is concerned maybe some changes need to be made but I'm giving the Head Coach a chance to correct things for next season. I think he'll learn from what's happening now. After all , people are forgetting that the guy is still learning to be a head coach .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom