8:48 of Whither Sarah | Page 2 | The Boneyard

8:48 of Whither Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hmm! I generally respect your knowledge of the game and those that play it, but this analysis of Jana and her comparison to Stewie (at any time period) is outrageous. It's so far out there, I want some of whatever you're smokin'. :cool: Of course I hope your envision of Jana becomes a reality. However, from what I have seen of her (and I don't watch highlight videos) she has a long way to go to live up to your expectations. Time will tell.
Indeed. It is a stretch too far… as I admitted when I said it.

But it’s important to recognize that a comparison doesn’t mean two things are identical. It’s also useful for highlighting differences. Of course Jana is nowhere near as good as Stewie now, and maybe never will be. But her skill set has some similarities. When Geno thinks about how to use her and what he can develop in her, he may reflect on this.

The comparison to Rebecca is also “outrageous.” Jana is not now as good as Rebecca was at any time and may never be. But she also shares some qualities with her, chief among them being that she knows how to carry a team.

And you’re right that my expectations are a long way from where she is now. It’s a good thing I’m not on Geno’s coaching staff.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I may have said something like Sarah could backup Jana in a careless moment. In any event we won’t be huge next year even with Sarah, you’re right about that. Our front court will be 6’4” 6’3” 6’2” 6’2”. But at least it will be bigger than it is this year. And Geno might well have Ayanna and Sarah on the floor together occasionally. Of course, Unlike Ayanna, I don’t expect Sarah to be stationed in the low post for much of the time. Her perimeter passing and shooting is too good for that.

And it will be thin on experience with Ice and Ayanna having 1 year at the D1 level and Jana and Sarah having none. If Aaliyah were to stick around, the frontcourt wouldn’t get any bigger, but the experience level would be much greater.

I don’t see any portal solutions for this merely because we may not have any scholarship room. Geno seems comfortable with this, and the success of the freshmen may be why. If we get 3 more top freshmen in next year, and if Jana and Ayanna return, the team will be young but really dynamic… rather like this season.

Now if I give free reign to my penchant for optimism and imagine a healthy season next year, we might be small-ish in the front court, but we’ll be big, deep and really fierce in the backcourt with Morgan and Caroline at 6’2”, Q at 6’0” (or a little more), Azzi at 5’11”, Allie at 5’10”, and KK Ash and Inês at 5’9”. We’ll have better size than most opponents and better speed, a few dynamite midrange shooters, and the best perimeter shooting. We may be smaller overall than some teams, but the offense will pack a wallop.
I have no worries abt the offensive side of the team, it's on the defensive side tht worries me particularly against the bigger physical teams.

Reaction Score
I have no worries abt the offensive side of the team, it's on the defensive side tht worries me particularly against the bigger physical teams.
I'm right there with you on this worry. I take a little comfort from what Megan Culmo says about games against bigger opponents: "They just have to turn it into a track meet." This is what we're seeing now, and it's what Geno did in the Gabby-Pheesa-Katie Lou years.

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'm right there with you on this worry. I take a little comfort from what Megan Cuomo says about games against bigger opponents: "They just have to turn it into a track meet." This is what we're seeing now, and it's what Geno did in the Gabby-Pheesa-Katie Lou years.
I'm in the select few tht believes
Defense wins games and offense determines the MOV. If the offense isn't clicking good Defense will keep you in the game but if it's the other way around it becomes a shoot out tht may be good for t.v. ratings but bad for hearts and nerves Hahaha

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I may have said something like Sarah could backup Jana in a careless moment. In any event we won’t be huge next year even with Sarah, you’re right about that. Our front court will be 6’4” 6’3” 6’2” 6’2”. But at least it will be bigger than it is this year. And Geno might well have Ayanna and Sarah on the floor together occasionally. Of course, Unlike Ayanna, I don’t expect Sarah to be stationed in the low post for much of the time. Her perimeter passing and shooting is too good for that.

And it will be thin on experience with Ice and Ayanna having 1 year at the D1 level and Jana and Sarah having none. If Aaliyah were to stick around, the frontcourt wouldn’t get any bigger, but the experience level would be much greater.

I don’t see any portal solutions for this merely because we may not have any scholarship room. Geno seems comfortable with this, and the success of the freshmen may be why. If we get 3 more top freshmen in next year, and if Jana and Ayanna return, the team will be young but really dynamic… rather like this season.

Now if I give free reign to my penchant for optimism and imagine a healthy season next year, we might be small-ish in the front court, but we’ll be big, deep and really fierce in the backcourt with Morgan and Caroline at 6’2”, Q at 6’0” (or a little more), Azzi at 5’11”, Allie at 5’10”, and KK Ash and Inês at 5’9”. We’ll have better size than most opponents and better speed, a few dynamite midrange shooters, and the best perimeter shooting. We may be smaller overall than some teams, but the offense will pack a wallop.
Let's see now: Tamika Williams - 6'2"; Ashja Jones -6'2"; Swin Cash - 6'0", Diana Taurasi - 6'0", and Sue Bird 5'9"...how did that work out?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Let's see now: Tamika Williams - 6'2"; Ashja Jones -6'2"; Swin Cash - 6'0", Diana Taurasi - 6'0", and Sue Bird 5'9"...how did that work out?
People seem to forget……

Reaction Score
I'm in the select few tht believes
Defense wins games and offense determines the MOV. If the offense isn't clicking good Defense will keep you in the game but if it's the other way around it becomes a shoot out tht may be good for t.v. ratings but bad for hearts and nerves Hahaha
Except it's offense that puts the ball in the basket, and at the end of 40 minutes (unless tied) the offense (most scores) wins the game. :)

Reaction Score
That and the potential disaster that is foul trouble! Less bodies, less fouls!

Reaction Score

But it’s important to recognize that a comparison doesn’t mean two things are identical. It’s also useful for highlighting differences. Of course Jana is nowhere near as good as Stewie now, and maybe never will be. But her skill set has some similarities. When Geno thinks about how to use her and what he can develop in her, he may reflect on this.

The comparison to Rebecca is also “outrageous.” Jana is not now as good as Rebecca was at any time and may never be. But she also shares some qualities with her, chief among them being that she knows how to carry a team.

And you’re right that my expectations are a long way from where she is now. It’s a good thing I’m not on Geno’s coaching staff.
I simply don't agree with you on this point. If and when Jana suits up in a UConn uniform and shows that she plays the game similarly to Stewie and Rebecca (two of UConn's greatest) I think you're way off base. Things are very different at this level. High School girls can look like world beaters playing against inferior talent. You know this as well as I do. We all have hopes and dreams for each of these young women. We hope they soar among the clouds and bring us many more National Championships. However, it's better to praise those who are proving they can play at this level, than to go out on a limb and dream of what might be for the unproven.

Reaction Score
I simply don't agree with you on this point. If and when Jana suits up in a UConn uniform and shows that she plays the game similarly to Stewie and Rebecca (two of UConn's greatest) I think you're way off base. Things are very different at this level. High School girls can look like world beaters playing against inferior talent. You know this as well as I do. We all have hopes and dreams for each of these young women. We hope they soar among the clouds and bring us many more National Championships. However, it's better to praise those who are proving they can play at this level, than to go out on a limb and dream of what might be for the unproven.
I think what we mainly disagree about is what a fan forum is for.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Except it's offense that puts the ball in the basket, and at the end of 40 minutes (unless tied) the offense (most scores) wins the game. :)
True but the defense keeps the ball out the basket and as I said b4 offense determines the MOV....sooo

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
This conversation can go on Ad infinitum but still comes out the same.

Reaction Score

I respectfully disagree--From what I've seen of Jana--her footwork, her hands, her shooting prowess and touch, and overall basketball sense--I feel her talent level is that of Lobo's and in some regards, Jana's skillset may even exceed Lobo's.. Her dad is a skilled coach and a fundamentalist--Jana is well-prepared and will make immediate impact next season.

As to Sarah Strong possible coming to UConn, Jana will be at the 5, and Strong, the four and wing positions...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've found that it's really not good to compare teams of different eras. First of all, the above players were AA players; however, the women's game has changed and evolved remarkably since these players. As great as the above lineup was, they might be a bit more challenged with today's taller and more athletic players than what they faced during the early 2000's.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I've found that it's really not good to compare teams of different eras. First of all, the above players were AA players; however, the women's game has changed and evolved remarkably since these players. As great as the above lineup was, they might be a bit more challenged with today's taller and more athletic players than what they faced during the early 2000's.
Hmmm... Good point well thought out and well said. Imo

Reaction Score
I think most of us were basing our hopes on her national team play. Not high school.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That 2002 team would be undefeated against this year's schedule, and would be a 10-to-15 point favorite to beat South Carolina in February. Having seen what Asjha Jones did against Liz Cambage, do you really think she would have any trouble against Cardoso? And how do you think the SC backcourt of Pao Pao and Fulwiley would fare against Bird and Taurasi?

Reaction Score
Have to suggest that realistically, Jana will be between the extremes of Stewie and Paith. Normally, having a frosh who came from a weak high school program and is coming off a knee injury start would be considered aggressive. With much of this conversation focused on who will back up Jana, suggest that her starting and playing significant minutes is a high expectation in itself. Nothing wrong with shooting high but suspect Geno is looking at multiple options.
Jana had an achilles tear not a knee injury, so your analogy is a little misplaced. Furthermore, a lot of her experience is on a international level, not simply a weak high school. I would say a better comparison would be a very good high school team and league when you consider Jana played with and against women older than most high schoolers. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Let’s make sure the facts are correct. Jana was injured at the FIBA U19 World Cup in Madrid, Spain. Competing against the best 18-year olds in the world, she was the leading scorer and most dominant player. Seeing what college Freshmen are doing this year, it’s really dumb to poo pah the level of competition she faced in that tournament.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Are you saying that you don't think those five would not win a national championship if they were to play in today's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom