78 - 75 Penn over Villanova | The Boneyard

78 - 75 Penn over Villanova

Reaction Score
We have to beat Nova. Let's see what Furman and Penn did to win.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to clean up its act to beat Villanova. We commit the cardinal sin of basketball, by not valuing each possession. Look at Penn's assists to made baskets, shooting % (good cuts and shot selection) and turnovers. Compare that to UConn against FSU and Arizona where only the Arizona shooting % was ok. Too many loose dribbles, drives into traffic, passes with no hope of completion, lack of movement and cuts and lazy (meaning didn't work for better) shots.
Players are better than I expected, team play is worse.
Like the pressure on the ball, do not like secondary defense when dribble penetration. Perhaps some change up defense sets where keys are chase off 3 point line and clog inside, give opponents something else to think about.
UConn's play will decide game against Villanova. I will have to improve my view of how good Villanova is if they beat, or even stay close to Kansas.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to clean up its act to beat Villanova. We commit the cardinal sin of basketball, by not valuing each possession. Look at Penn's assists to made baskets, shooting % (good cuts and shot selection) and turnovers. Compare that to UConn against FSU and Arizona where only the Arizona shooting % was ok. Too many loose dribbles, drives into traffic, passes with no hope of completion, lack of movement and cuts and lazy (meaning didn't work for better) shots.
Players are better than I expected, team play is worse.
Like the pressure on the ball, do not like secondary defense when dribble penetration. Perhaps some change up defense sets where keys are chase off 3 point line and clog inside, give opponents something else to think about.
UConn's play will decide game against Villanova. I will have to improve my view of how good Villanova is if they beat, or even stay close to Kansas.
Team play is worse than expected?

This team was under .500 for two straight years, and this year they've blown out every cupcake and even beaten Syracuse.

People here have unreasonable expectations given the facts; there was a reason besides KO's coaching that they couldn't win half their games for two straight seasons. This year they will, and may even get to 20 wins.

Reaction Score

This team was under .500 for two straight years, and this year they've blown out every cupcake and even beaten Syracuse.

People here have unreasonable expectations given the facts; there was a reason besides KO's coaching that they couldn't win half their games for two straight seasons. This year they will, and may even get to 20 wins.
I think we all can say we'd like to see Uconn overachieved. Many teams do each year, we can be that team. I for one did not have high expectations but I sure can be optimistic after them looking better then the previous 2 years. We still have room to get better and I'm enjoying the ride with hope of a victory on ever game. That's all!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Our ooc just took a nose dive. But we definitely need to win. They have Kansas this weekend so I hope they can pull an upset to stay ranked at pitter out for us. We don’t want to play them in the middle of a potentially short skid.
You hit the nail right on the head. You can say the same thing about Syracuse. Honestly, I cannot see Villanova being in the T25 next week. When you talk about "bad losses" they have the worst. Not only were the teams that beat them unranked, but they earn the title Cupcake. Maybe not Penn, but look at the others. Beside s a rivalry game and absolute hatred to Syracuse, is our win a"good win"? Just a thought. When we beat the Cuse, I called it a start of resume building. Not so sure now.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
They are going to rain 3’s on us like a meteor shower

Reaction Score
I think we all can say we'd like to see Uconn overachieved. Many teams do each year, we can be that team.
But that's literally the opposite of saying what we are doing right now is underachieving, which is what "team play is worse than expected" means.

Reaction Score

Nah he's right. Expectations? Should we expect 12 TO's from Jalen and Christian vs Arizona or cold we ask they keep it to 3 each and we win? These were both very winnable games and with better coaching no doubt these guys till don't get it. I honestly thought these guys would get better and understand the need to value each possession but they don't. But IF they did we'd have one, maybe 2 losses.

Reaction Score
Does anyone here doubt that Nova is going to make the tournament? And they’re going to be desperate to win this game and so are we. The BE is not even that good this year so if we don’t win this we better be prepared to ace the AAC, which i do not believe we can.

Reaction Score
Nah he's right. Expectations? Should we expect 12 TO's from Jalen and Christian vs Arizona or cold we ask they keep it to 3 each and we win? These were both very winnable games and with better coaching no doubt these guys till don't get it. I honestly thought these guys would get better and understand the need to value each possession but they don't. But IF they did we'd have one, maybe 2 losses.
I It's simple, new coach new style. Yes the losses would have been good victories but previous years, they would have been embarrassing losses and the blowout wins would have been much closer. Or even a bad loss JA and CV spent more time in the old system then the new. They can't perfect it over night.

Do you think Nova lost faith with their losses to Penn and Furman? Look at Loyola Chicago doing bad. Look at how the Celtics started. Lol it takes time, lol. I can go on. I'm with you on cutting the mistakes but

Reaction Score
This hurts. This is the weakest Nova has been in a few years without a doubt, but a win will still look good. Regardless of the outcome, I believe our best win of the year will most definitely be against a Syracuse squad that was without Frank Howard. Cuse is good and plays well in March, so I'm curious to see how the committee views this.

Reaction Score
This hurts. This is the weakest Nova has been in a few years without a doubt, but a win will still look good. Regardless of the outcome, I believe our best win of the year will most definitely be against a Syracuse squad that was without Frank Howard. Cuse is good and plays well in March, so I'm curious to see how the committee views this.
Please not the "Syracuse didn't have Frank Howard argument again". Please.

Reaction Score
Turnovers especially unforced turnovers have to be minimized. Oh, and we really don't have an answer for Paschall.

Reaction Score
Its still an opportunity against a perennial power that will likely win the Big East again this year. Down year or not they'll be a top 4 seed in the tourney come March.

Reaction Score
Nah he's right. Expectations? Should we expect 12 TO's from Jalen and Christian vs Arizona or cold we ask they keep it to 3 each and we win?
I don't know what in the last three years would convince you that these players aren't these players. KO won a title. KO won 20 games his first four years. He certainly wasn't a great game coach (though he was better than some give him credit for), but what he was bad at, in particular, was developing players and staying consistent on the recruiting trail. We bear the fruits of both of those things right now. This is better than expected to me.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

I actually agree that team play is "worse than expected," because I expected a bigger jump than they've made. They are better offensively - more aggressive, getting better shots, and beating up lesser opponents. But they turn the ball over way too much against better opponents, and still rely too much on Adams and now Gilbert to create something out of nothing. I thought the jump in coaching would be bigger. So yes, "worse than expected."

On the plus side, it's only December.

Reaction Score
Good game last night. I watched the first half and the last ten minutes.

How did Penn win the game? Penn's tight defense combined with Nova's inability to click on offense. Add to the fact that Penn's ball movement was impressive. They aren't fast, but they also move without the ball well too. Fun to see The Palestra explode like that last night.

How will UConn win? It depends on their defense. If they play smart and don't allow Nova's bigs to get easy looks inside like in the Arizona game, they have a good chance.

Reaction Score
I It's simple, new coach new style. Yes the losses would have been good victories but previous years, they would have been embarrassing losses and the blowout wins would have been much closer. Or even a bad loss JA and CV spent more time in the old system then the new. They can't perfect it over night.

Do you think Nova lost faith with their losses to Penn and Furman? Look at Loyola Chicago doing bad. Look at how the Celtics started. Lol it takes time, lol. I can go on. I'm with you on cutting the mistakes but

It's easy to cut down on the mistakes if you understand how to play the game, real easy don't relate this to the 3 previous years. Unless everyone thinks they are stupid and don't know how to play the game? They are both smart kids and should be able to understand what it takes to win so again I hear what some say about habits but I don't buy it, at all. Vital did it for a few games then went back, he heard the message from Hurley and could do it. There is something to be said sometime these 2 like to show everyone what they can do especially with mustard. Throw the mustard away and play basketball and take care of the ball so you can be in nice position to make the dance, that should be all they want in life after playing 2-3 years.

Don't get me wrong I respect everyones opinion but 4-6 months of Hurley telling them what they need to get better at and we're still seeing it? You can't have "coachable" and what's happpening then.

Reaction Score
HAad to believe, but check this:

1544820153604.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44