OT - 75-21 final score | The Boneyard

OT - 75-21 final score

Reaction Score
You can probably guess one of the teams involved. Thing is, the game wasn't nearly that close. It was 66-11 after three quarters when the foot was presumably lifted from the gas pedal. The second quarter was 26-0. In a conference tournament semi-final game.

People will argue whether this is good or bad for the sport, boring or exciting, etc. But it doesn't get old catching up on the scores because somehow they always seem to one-up themselves. I mean, I get that power imbalances exist...but this is still D-1 college basketball. Cincinnati had to get on a plane to come play this game and now they'll take one back. Can you imagine how demoralizing that must be? It must be hard to feel good about anything else you've accomplished when you know one team is that much better than you.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Why do we do this? We get it wbb is better than the other teams.

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams was out too. She’s just about the best player on the team.

I had fun watching the first half. It was absurd.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Last year the women lost to Miss. St. and South Carolina won the championship. A few years ago the Syracuse women were good and had a good run. Quinnipiac had a dream season last year. Just when you think other programs/the sport is improving, you have games like this. Women's basketball either has a thinner talent pool or Geno is just 1000 years ahead of most of these coaches.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Last year the women lost to Miss. St. and South Carolina won the championship. A few years ago the Syracuse women were good and had a good run. Quinnipiac had a dream season last year. Just when you think other programs/the sport is improving, you have games like this. Women's basketball either has a thinner talent pool or Geno is just 1000 years ahead of most of these coaches.

Both

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Both

It is both. But it's mostly the latter.

Although even Geno admits he was outcoached last year (never tried to push the tempo at all when Miss St had zero interest in playing up and down).

But when my biggest complaint with Geno is that he's too lax with calling timeouts (like when Chong was stupidly driving to the basket with roscoe smith amounts of time left against Miss St, or when they turned it around really late in the BE title game against ND and lost on an uncontested FB layup with like 2 seconds left, you know you're probably a really good coach.

But man, lets be real, Geno is the modern day Wooden.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think it is a thinner talent pool but Geno mirrors K and the Squid (not via one and dones) in that the cream of the cream go to UConn.
Men have a bigger and better pasture to shoot for (NBA) and the women's (WNBA) may be a dream for some but the immediate payscale is much much smaller and many can earn more in the private/corporate sector. Overseas the men have multitude options while most women overseas hold places only for the WNBA and their schedules don't compete - also, no womens GLeague.
In Geno's case, he is playing 5 McD AAs every night with a bench of 5 more vs teams that have a few HS All Staters and girls who love the sport but have no intention of taking it anywhere after graduation. I am only guessing but I want to say at least 65% of the guys playing Div 1 hoops are there in hopes it will allow them to play hoops for money as soon as possible.
Geno is definitely a different coach than your average Women's coach and has developed himself in so many areas. It is a great asset for UConn.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn has only had the number one recruiting class once since 2010. We just have far and away the best coach.
It has been Tennessee or UConn since early 2000's

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tennessee, although having a bit of a resurgence this year, hasn't been a factor in the NC race for years. Notre Dame and USC are both capable of beating UConn but the stars would have to align for them.

FWIW Cinci is coached by former UConn great Jamelle Elliot. She played on the '95 championship team. They've got 19 wins and will likely go to the WNIT this year. While not a great team, they aren't nearly as bad as Connecticut made them look last night.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Your men's team is gonna do the same on Friday btw

Reaction Score
The talent level in the women’s game is not that deep. In reality you could have a tournament with 12-16 teams with some, if very small, chance. I would put the men’s number closer to 40.

Reaction Score
Their motion offense was flawless at times, a real sight to see. I wish KO could get our guys to play like that.

:oops:
Excellence is a habit. Geno is the Aristotle of coaches. He could coach curling and quickly become the best ever.

Reaction Score
You really need to stop posting on topics you have no clue about. I know that will mean a big drop in your "contributions" here but, wow.

Reaction Score
UConn has only had the number one recruiting class once since 2010. We just have far and away the best coach.
Shhhh, you will destroy the narrative! Do you think many of the experts here even know what team has the most McD all-americans? It is easier to just assume UConn gets them all.

Reaction Score
Shhhh, you will destroy the narrative! Do you think many of the experts here even know what team has the most McD all-americans? It is easier to just assume UConn gets them all.

Granted, your posts are uniformly terrible so there's no hope for you, but the rest of the women's crowd really does itself a disservice with these constant attempts to discount the fact that UConn routinely brings in the top-rated women in the country.

Reaction Score
Granted, your posts are uniformly terrible so there's no hope for you, but the rest of the women's crowd really does itself a disservice with these constant attempts to discount the fact that UConn routinely brings in the top-rated women in the country.
Learn critical reading skills. Do you know the meaning of the words "all" and "most"? They are important in this context. Maybe then you will understand what is being discounted.

Reaction Score

They definitely have the best coach. He is also the best recruiter despite whatever the rankings say.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
They definitely have the best coach. He is also the best recruiter despite whatever the rankings say.

he is the best and finding and sorting out what he wants.

Reaction Score
Why do we do this? We get it wbb is better than the other teams.

That's the point. The interesting part is the why. Why are they such an outlier and why does the gap seem to be widening?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is both. But it's mostly the latter.

Although even Geno admits he was outcoached last year (never tried to push the tempo at all when Miss St had zero interest in playing up and down).

But when my biggest complaint with Geno is that he's too lax with calling timeouts (like when Chong was stupidly driving to the basket with roscoe smith amounts of time left against Miss St, or when they turned it around really late in the BE title game against ND and lost on an uncontested FB layup with like 2 seconds left, you know you're probably a really good coach.

But man, lets be real, Geno is the modern day Wooden.

He's better than Wooden in comparison to his peers. Does anybody ever see the videos they put out, when he talks about or teaches aspects of the game? Even things like leadership, and the mental element of the game. He's a visionary leader really. He's inspirational and demanding, and the team buys in. He's a little like Belichick in some ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom