7 total 3 point attempts | The Boneyard

7 total 3 point attempts

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
That’s how many COMBINED 3 point attempts our 3 best 3 point shooters (Cole, Martin and Polley) had up until garbage time.

And Creighton just sat in the paint and make us work to miss layups.

Sanogo was double teamed all night and they didn’t kick it out a single time.

That’s such bad game planning on our end.

They should be taking a MINIMUM of 15 attempts amongst the 3 of them, EVERY game.

I don’t care they started 0-7.

Shooters need to shoot. Wow.

Reaction Score
That’s what stood out to me, especially Cole, he wouldn’t pull the trigger even when he was wide open. Weird game by our guys. When the game started the announcers were talking about a lengthy hardcore shoot around by our guys. Made me wonder if this is the usual.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That’s what stood out to me, especially Cole, he wouldn’t pull the trigger even when he was wide open. Weird game by our guys. When the game started the announcers were talking about a lengthy hardcore shoot around by our guys. Made me wonder if this is the usual.

Cole played all game like he knew he didn't have his shot. He was short on everything in first half, his FT was off and he tried to just facilitator. Problem is no one other than Whaley could make a basket.

Reaction Score
Cole played all game like he knew he didn't have his shot. He was short on everything in first half, his FT was off and he tried to just facilitator. Problem is no one other than Polley could make a basket.
Think you meant Whaley. Thanks to him we didn’t lose by 15.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That’s how many COMBINED 3 point attempts our 3 best 3 point shooters (Cole, Martin and Polley) had up until garbage time.

And Creighton just sat in the paint and make us work to miss layups.

Sanogo was double teamed all night and they didn’t kick it out a single time.

That’s such bad game planning on our end.

They should be taking a MINIMUM of 15 attempts amongst the 3 of them, EVERY game.

I don’t care they started 0-7.

Shooters need to shoot. Wow.
`Thank you - I was slayed today saying that Sanogo needed to kick it out when he faced a double team. He had one good pass but it was back to under the basket because thats where his eyes were. I was told he has gotten so much better because he has worked so hard on it. Yeah like Ricco was at the practices. If he worked on it he either said to himself "I aint doing it" or maybe it'll take a few years to sink in. He could be a much better player if he played smart rather than waste energy.
Sanogo has good foot movement and can be a real force but the team needs him to be smarter and more resourceful.
Shooters can't keep shooting if they don't play. To sit Hawkins like DH does makes little sense. Don't understand why Martin didn't demand the ball and take over - Cole was too small and Martin is physical enough to drive in Creighton - that was a huge missed opportunity
This was a bad loss and makes the Nova game a must win-on the road no less. This was not a good way to start this tough stretch.
I have always said - no more Hartford games unless it's during semester break or vs some of the cupcakes in the early season. League home games need to be at Gampel.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
this team is fatally flawed. We are now 1-8 in games decided by <4 pts since 2020. Thats an indictment on Hurley.
Cherry picked stat that doesn’t include our two overtime wins this year against auburn and st joes, as well as close victories against Marquette and VCU

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Take away two of the dumbest threes I’ve ever seen and it’s a win. Maybe it’s a wake up call
Same thing last year. I was worried about this game from the start. Same team as last year. Now they will lose the next two games.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
`Thank you - I was slayed today saying that Sanogo needed to kick it out when he faced a double team. He had one good pass but it was back to under the basket because thats where his eyes were. I was told he has gotten so much better because he has worked so hard on it. Yeah like Ricco was at the practices. If he worked on it he either said to himself "I aint doing it" or maybe it'll take a few years to sink in. He could be a much better player if he played smart rather than waste energy.
Sanogo has good foot movement and can be a real force but the team needs him to be smarter and more resourceful.
Shooters can't keep shooting if they don't play. To sit Hawkins like DH does makes little sense. Don't understand why Martin didn't demand the ball and take over - Cole was too small and Martin is physical enough to drive in Creighton - that was a huge missed opportunity
This was a bad loss and makes the Nova game a must win-on the road no less. This was not a good way to start this tough stretch.
I have always said - no more Hartford games unless it's during semester break or vs some of the cupcakes in the early season. League home games need to be at Gampel.
To me, the team looked tired from the start. It was really evident coming into the second half. Hawkins was throwing brick after brick. Their defense was very good last night. Polley could not get free. This is a bad loss. Seems when our boys really climb the Top 25, the next day is a bad game. Going to Philly is not easy. However, our boys might be p***ed and come away with a upset.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
League home games need to be at Gampel.
Absolutely.
Shooters can't keep shooting if they don't play. To sit Hawkins like DH does makes little sense.
Hawkins' self confidence seems fragile. A couple missed shots and he's pouting to himself, moving slower, etc. I suspect that DH is trying to keep him from getting too down on himself when his shot's not falling.
Whaley shot about 20%
Whaley shot 61.5% including 50% from three. Go find yourself another whipping boy. You've got a long list of possibilities, but Whaley ain't on it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
100%. Every time Cole tried to drive there were way too many bodies in the lane

It is the smart way to defend this team. Hurley also played into their hands by continuing to do the opposite on defense, and pulling our bigs away from the lane. McDermott had very well designed game plans on both ends and his team executed them. UConn changed nothing. If you can’t play zone vs this team when can you? On offense, he finally adjusted to the packed in D by bringing in Polley and Hawk but pulled Sanogo at the same time. So Creighton just adjusted and ignored the lane since we didn’t have any post presence.

Our team shooting even slightly less poorly could have won this, but that’s just talent overcoming a really bad game plan on both ends. If this UConn team is going to continue to have no ability to make defensive or offensive adjustments, good coaches are going to eat our lunch. We lost by 4. If we shoot better we win by 4. If we coach better we win by 14. This was Hurley’s worst game since St. Johns last year.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
To me, the team looked tired from the start. It was really evident coming into the second half. Hawkins was throwing brick after brick. Their defense was very good last night. Polley could not get free. This is a bad loss. Seems when our boys really climb the Top 25, the next day is a bad game. Going to Philly is not easy. However, our boys might be p***ed and come away with a upset.
Hawkins only took 3 shots. I think you might mean Polley and Hawkins threw up brick after brick. The bench stat line was ugly across the board

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
It is the smart way to defend this team. Hurley also played into their hands by continuing to do the opposite on defense, and pulling our bigs away from the lane. McDermott had very well designed game plans on both ends and his team executed them. UConn changed nothing. If you can’t play zone vs this team when can you? On offense, he finally adjusted to the packed in D by bringing in Polley and Hawk but pulled Sanogo at the same time. So Creighton just adjusted and ignored the lane since we didn’t have any post presence.

Our team shooting even slightly less poorly could have won this, but that’s just talent overcoming a really bad game plan on both ends. If this UConn team is going to continue to have no ability to make defensive or offensive adjustments, good coaches are going to eat our lunch. We lost by 4. If we shoot better we win by 4. If we coach better we win by 14. This was Hurley’s worst game since St. Johns last year.
Our D did enough to win. We turned them over 14 times but only got 9 points out of that. We shoot average or even slightly below average we win

Reaction Score
Creighton did not guard Whaley or Jackson at the three point line. They sagged those players into the middle. Worked like a charm

Hurley has to adjust because he is going to see this a lot more.

Anytime we have Sanogo, Whaley and Jackson on the floor I'd imagine this is the blueprint opposing coaches will follow moving forward. Forces them to be shooters and beat you.

Reaction Score
Cherry picked stat that doesn’t include our two overtime wins this year against auburn and st joes, as well as close victories against Marquette and VCU

It really isn't a cherry-picked stat. Our coach gets paid 3,000,000 a year to win close games. And he isn't. You're also forgetting that some of those wins you're referring to we nearly lost with poor coaching at times. VCU, SJU and Auburn come to mind.

These are results of coaching and the players skills (or lack thereof). It's pretty obvious Cole isn't a closer, and that Sanogo/Jackson/Rese kind of blew it yesterday. Each of them has some obvious skillset deficits. They aren't going to change that.

But these players aren't getting paid millions of dollars to win basketball games. Blame the staff. Their preparation for the game, preparing the team, who they have recruited (or not), etc.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
It really isn't a cherry-picked stat. Our coach gets paid 3,000,000 a year to win close games. And he isn't.

How much he gets paid doesn’t change anything about the stat

It excludes a bunch of games that came down to the final few minutes as well as two overtime games. Do we not count those as close games because we pulled away in OT?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom