7 tandems (NCAA article) | The Boneyard

7 tandems (NCAA article)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I would have rated Plum and Osahor significantly higher. It would be a toss up between Samuelson and Collier for number one. Of the four players, Samuelson has the most upside and probably will be the best player and for that reason I would give the edge to Samuelson and Collier.

Reaction Score
I would have rated Plum and Osahor significantly higher. It would be a toss up between Samuelson and Collier for number one. Of the four players, Samuelson has the most upside and probably will be the best player and for that reason I would give the edge to Samuelson and Collier.

I didn't get the impression that the seven selections were necessarily ranked.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Ask me after the South Carolina game. Until then, I won't and can't fret about it. Proof will be in the pudding then.

Loving this team so far. To graduate the trio uconn has and to carry everything forward is just amazing. I hear there are good recruits coming in next year too. Can anyone confirm???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The best observation in the article:

"To be clear, this could just as easily be Samuelson and Collier, Gabby Williams or Kia Nurse. Or really any combination of the Big Four. Samuelson is pretty clearly the Huskies’ best player, but any combination of the quartet is going to be better than just about any other team can boast. That may or may not have something to do with the Huskies' 95-games-and-counting winning streak.

At any rate, Samuelson and Collier get the nod here. The two combine for more than 40 points per game, could break the UConn tandem scoring record, and are a nightmare to handle."

The Four Horsewomen ride out to lay waste to WCBB. :)

Reaction Score
Katie Lou is definitely UConn's best offensive player. However, Gabby is UConn's best all-around player. They cannot survive without the starting five. Without one the others fall to pieces. The number one recruit amongst a class of four Megan Walker. Also, Andra Espinoza Hunter, Lexi Gordon and Mikayla Coombs.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I like your reasoning, but I don't bet on potential. Plum and Osahor are the best duo, alphabetical order or not. Nevertheless, I'm drooling over the "potential" of these two teams meeting in Dallas.

Reaction Score

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Katie Lou is definitely UConn's best offensive player. However, Gabby is UConn's best all-around player. They cannot survive without the starting five. Without one the others fall to pieces. The number one recruit amongst a class of four Megan Walker. Also, Andra Espinoza Hunter, Lexi Gordon and Mikayla Coombs.

Indeed, Lou is 'pretty clearly' UConn's best. That's hogwash. She is ONE of UConn's best, along with Pheesa and Gabby, and Kia's not far behind. They've all been the best at various times this year.

It P's me off that everyone is giddy over Lou and Pheesa. Fair enough, but Gabby definitely in the process is getting short shrift. And as far as I'm concerned, Gabby is 'clearly' a bit ahead in regard to 'UConn's best.' She's been most consistent. So why has the misleading 'Samuelson & Collier' nonsense persist. Even among some BYers.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Good, well rounded, informative and accurate---I like that Ryan dCooper!!
When I started i was fearful that he'd concentrate on KLS and Napheesa and ignore Kia and Gabby --but factually he said you could mix and match any of the four as the Uconn go to duo (paraphrasing). I'm sure all Uconn fan would agree as I do.
Yes, he did acknowledge Gabby (and Kia) -- yet he stuck with the tried and true meme "Lou and Nepheesa." Say it enough times and Gabby becomes an afterth0ught.

Reaction Score
Yes, he did acknowledge Gabby (and Kia) -- yet he stuck with the tried and true meme "Lou and Nepheesa." Say it enough times and Gabby becomes an afterth0ught.
In articles like this : You can see the glass half full ---or half empty. In terms of Geno, staff, and the larger majority of Uconn fans--do you ever truly believe GABBY shall become an AFTERTHOUGHT???

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
In articles like this : You can see the glass half full ---or half empty. In terms of Geno, staff, and the larger majority of Uconn fans--do you ever truly believe GABBY shall become an AFTERTHOUGHT???
I often re-watch a UCONN game simply to do an "isolation watch" on Gabby. Gabulous is an amazing player. She is no afterthought to me.

Reaction Score
When this article is written next year, besides UConn, the only other team that might be on the list with the same players Duke (others have seniors or redshirts who likely will go pro). UConn's tendem are both sophomores with barely 3 semesters of college play behind them and nearly 5 more in front of them. There's no team in the country that wouldn't swap their tandem for these, if nothing else than because of future play and the near certainty for even better play.

Of course, next year, there's a little matter of Z as well; if it's even possible currently to ignore Kia and esp. Gabby (and the author admits it's not), it almost certainly won't be conceivable next year to ignore Z, so no "talented tandem" article will make sense. UConn will destroy that idea.

Reaction Score
I often re-watch a UCONN game simply to do an "isolation watch" on Gabby. Gabulous is an amazing player. She is no afterthought to me.
The moves and abilities of Gabby are amazing for her size--listed at 5'11 inches---smaller I'd say--actually her moves are exceptional for any size. She has developed an outside and occasional 3 --which makes her near impossible to defend.
I do the same"isolation" of Kia--I am always impressed by her--she seems to think TEAM more often than not--an makes a quick pass to Collier or KLS and the plows a way for them to score. Geno was 10000 percent correct in giving her the responsibility for bringing the ball up the floor and setting up the half court--she does it so well.. I'm high on all of this team but these two don't get any where the coverage they deserve.

Reaction Score
When this article is written next year, besides UConn, the only other team that might be on the list with the same players Duke (others have seniors or redshirts who likely will go pro). UConn's tendem are both sophomores with barely 3 semesters of college play behind them and nearly 5 more in front of them. There's no team in the country that wouldn't swap their tandem for these, if nothing else than because of future play and the near certainty for even better play.

Of course, next year, there's a little matter of Z as well; if it's even possible currently to ignore Kia and esp. Gabby (and the author admits it's not), it almost certainly won't be conceivable next year to ignore Z, so no "talented tandem" article will make sense. UConn will destroy that idea.
I almost jumped up and screamed---U.... C....O....N...N but I couldn't find Teddy's hat.
May I add to the abundance of extreme talent above---Walker who is running ruin on the U18 try outs not to mention the other 3 top talent coming in with her. Gluttony---I am to be damned by the sin of gluttony---but I'll keep grinning!! Thanks Bags.. I feel bad --I could ONLY put a LIKE on that posting...

Reaction Score
I like your reasoning, but I don't bet on potential. Plum and Osahor are the best duo, alphabetical order or not. Nevertheless, I'm drooling over the "potential" of these two teams meeting in Dallas.

Jordy---i know this is much after you posted your praise of uW duo. Since Stanford was able to shut down, minimize, Osahor--and W lost--even with 44 from Plum--are they still the best Duo in current WBB?
With Napheesa and Katie Lou--they don't put up those number--Geno pulls kls before she can--so far (notice I cover that base) Uconn's Duo have not been shut down. Plum obviously is a scoring machine--
Since you are adamant that Plum and Osahor are the best--or were--does this effect your view???

JordyG

Reaction Score
Jordy---i know this is much after you posted your praise of uW duo. Since Stanford was able to shut down, minimize, Osahor--and W lost--even with 44 from Plum--are they still the best Duo in current WBB?
With Napheesa and Katie Lou--they don't put up those number--Geno pulls kls before she can--so far (notice I cover that base) Uconn's Duo have not been shut down. Plum obviously is a scoring machine--
Since you are adamant that Plum and Osahor are the best--or were--does this effect your view???
Just look at UConn's supporting cast and compare it to Washington's. Which is better? When Lou or Pheesa is having an off quarter or two or get into foul trouble and have to sit, Gabby comes through. Or Saniya. Or Crystal Dangerfield. Or Kia. UConn's philosophy has always been multiple options on the floor so that the opposing defenses can't play off anyone. Not Washington. Now considering minutes, I've mentioned that if Lou played the same number of minutes as Plum perhaps her numbers would be equivalent. Maybe better. But I don't bet on potential. What is, is. What ain't, ain't. Washington has the best scoring duo, as evidenced by the numbers. The best scoring team? The best team? Not at all. Not close.

Reaction Score
Just look at UConn's supporting cast and compare it to Washington's. Which is better? When Lou or Pheesa is having an off quarter or two or get into foul trouble and have to sit, Gabby comes through. Or Saniya. Or Crystal Dangerfield. Or Kia. UConn's philosophy has always been multiple options on the floor so that the opposing defenses can't play off anyone. Not Washington. Now considering minutes, I've mentioned that if Lou played the same number of minutes as Plum perhaps her numbers would be equivalent. Maybe better. But I don't bet on potential. What is, is. What ain't, ain't. Washington has the best scoring duo, as evidenced by the numbers. The best scoring team? The best team? Not at all. Not close.

I agree --what ain't --ain't!! Potential--sometimes is not fulfilled. However only recently has Geno had the multiple scoring options--often in the past --with some of the DT teams--even with Anne/Maria/BT
DT was the only scoring option. Maya and Charles were (in Charles 3rd and 4th years) were the only 2 choices---This year Geno is again lucky to have the options of Kia, Katie Lou, Gabby, Napheesa and yes even Saniya (when it strikes her)--that--is a abundant of wealth.
In the years with only 2 respected options --like W the other players could score, but not as successfully.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree (how can one disagree with facts; or sorry, it's now possible to make up your own facts, but still...) that Washington's tandem is higher scoring, but that's not the headline of the article. It's the most talented tandem. That includes defense, ability to make the rest of the team better, future potential, etc. Is anyone's tandem seriously close to UConn in terms of that type of talent?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I don't disagree (how can one disagree with facts; or sorry, it's now possible to make up your own facts, but still...) that Washington's tandem is higher scoring, but that's not the headline of the article. It's the most talented tandem. That includes defense, ability to make the rest of the team better, future potential, etc. Is anyone's tandem seriously close to UConn in terms of that type of talent?
I don't completely disagree. Talent wise Plum is at the top of the class. Lou has the potential to show that she is as talented. Collier is far the better scorer than Osahor in my opinion with the big O the better rebounder. Defensively they're fairly equal so all in all those two are a wash. In my book that makes the Washington duo RIGHT NOW ahead by a whisker. Now, ask me again a year from now.

JordyG

Reaction Score
There is now however an alternative to alternative facts. Haven't you heard? It's called politics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom