7,000 sq ft sports bar coming to Storrs Center | Page 4 | The Boneyard

7,000 sq ft sports bar coming to Storrs Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Bergin has been closed for 5 years now.
Interesting. It looks frozen in time then as it doesn't seem overgrown or abandoned in the slightest.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Terrible, terrible name. I can already see this place changing ownership in 5 years. The name tells me they don't know what kind of market they are entering.

Reaction Score
Terrible, terrible name. I can already see this place changing ownership in 5 years. The name tells me they don't know what kind of market they are entering.

Agreed. Maybe we'll get a bar rescue episode out of it. That'd be pretty cool

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What's wrong with the name?

Reaction Score
So here's the essential geo/demographic Q that has been avoided but of paramount interest to the undergrads: how many babes will it attract??

Reaction Score
laughing at the kids who graduated in 14' saying the culture, party scene changed drastically. I graduated in 08', you should have seen the party scene my freshman year, 04'. Literally it felt like spring weekend every weekend. By 06' they really cracked down and pretty much shut down Carriage and put a giant fence in front that you had to check in with a cop with a residents list to get in. I'm sure older board members have similar view points.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
laughing at the kids who graduated in 14' saying the culture, party scene changed drastically. I graduated in 08', you should have seen the party scene my freshman year, 04'. Literally it felt like spring weekend every weekend. By 06' they really cracked down and pretty much shut down Carriage and put a giant fence in front that you had to check in with a cop with a residents list to get in. I'm sure older board members have similar view points.
Graduated in '10 and Carriage was still a zoo every weekend. Cops were present at the end of the trail but really only gave you a hard time if you were noticeably way too intoxicated or drinking Dubra straight from the bottle. They'd sweep through at 1am or so and honestly wouldn't even have to say much just shine their flashlight and people left. However, I think it was that year or maybe '09 when the student was killed outside the bars during Spring Weekend. I had a friend who was still dating a girl the next year so we went up and it was a ghost town. I think that year it fell on Easter weekend so most kids went home anyways or something.

Reaction Score
I started Fall 08. Absolutely no trouble with Carriage. I was an absolute degenerate for my entire first semester, and Carriage is mostly

Reaction Score
Graduated in '10 and Carriage was still a zoo every weekend. Cops were present at the end of the trail but really only gave you a hard time if you were noticeably way too intoxicated or drinking Dubra straight from the bottle. They'd sweep through at 1am or so and honestly wouldn't even have to say much just shine their flashlight and people left. However, I think it was that year or maybe '09 when the student was killed outside the bars during Spring Weekend. I had a friend who was still dating a girl the next year so we went up and it was a ghost town. I think that year it fell on Easter weekend so most kids went home anyways or something.
2012 here. It was 2010 when the kid died and Spring Weekend was really in the spotlight already; when you see cops from all over the state (my CT local friends would see who could spot a cop car from a farthest from Stores), you're on notice. 2009 was amazing then I believe then the next year the weather wasn't awesome and of course the tragety occurred. That is really what kicked the block out from the hanged man's feet. I believe 2011 was the year the cops set up roadblocks and were asking for UConn IDs

Also as someone might have said one of those years Spring Weekend fell on abd Easter weekend. That was decimating.

Reaction Score
'08 here as well. Those days were insanity.

Reaction Score
you young folks should have seen it when every dorm had a keg (or 2) every Thursday, everyone could drink in their rooms, the package stores delivered 6 packs to your room, there was a pub in the Student Union and beerfests were held every weekend on campus

Reaction Score
Pretty sure there's a sweet mural of Rip Hamilton there.

Guessing you didn't click on the link?
006.jpg

Reaction Score
you young folks should have seen it when every dorm had a keg (or 2) every Thursday, everyone could drink in their rooms, the package stores delivered 6 packs to your room, there was a pub in the Student Union and beerfests were held every weekend on campus

The world just isn't fun anymore. Everything is too "dangerous"

Reaction Score

I was '01 to '05. At the time I loved the party scene, but looking back at it we got away with way too much. I doubt I would have made it past a semester without getting arrested under the current situation. Spring Weekend was insanity. Not sure how much they cracked down on it, but they had to do something. When we went to the Thursday night Celeron party on Spring Weekend my freshman year within about a half hour of arriving I saw two cars get flipped over and lit on fire before the police tear gassed the area.

It was fun at the time, but for sure the University can't allow that kind of stuff. They had to crack down on it.

Sorry to all you young'uns that us old timers killed the party scene for you.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

I just missed that time. But we still had the occasional beer ball hidden in someone's closet.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
i was '84 to '89. right at the start of the clampdown. the drinking age was raised right ahead of me and my freshman year was the first that kegs were not allowed on campus. But things were still lenient. Everyone had fake id's and no one cared. Drinking was allowed in dorms even though most people weren't legal.

The spring weekend of '85 the concert was outside at the student union mall. pretty sure it was the Waitresses and some no name reggae band. I had a wheelchair i used as dorm furniture, so my friends and I (all underage) put a keg in it, gave it fake arms, legs and a head, dressed it up like a person and wheeled it to the show. all kinds of authority figures saw it, including police but everyone laughed it off.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
so my friends and I (all underage) put a keg in it, gave it fake arms, legs and a head, dressed it up like a person and wheeled it to the show. all kinds of authority figures saw it, including police but everyone laughed it off.

epic post/handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS