6'3 PG Cam Mack | Page 2 | The Boneyard

6'3 PG Cam Mack

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn’t lump Gaffney in with Vital when it comes to handling the ball. Gaffney is much better in that regard. He’s more like Jalen Adams with his handle.

Vital is in the TSam stratosphere of dribbling. Every time he puts the ball on the floor with a man on him, I get a bit nervous.

Agreed. I see Gaffney as very much like Jalen Adams coming out of HS, with a better outside shot, and a little less to the rim acrobatic capability. He will develop into a PG just fine. If people don't think he can be a PG, then we probably shouldn't have brought him here at all.

Vital was a catch and shoot SG. But a catch and shoot SG at 6'1" is barely viable at the level we want to be and isn't viable at all professionally. If CV wants to play pro ball (overseas probably) he has to work tirelessly on his ball handling and passing. I have no doubt whatsoever that Hurley has told him this, and that Hurley expects to give him some opportunity. He did it a bit more late last year, not always well. But those are skills that can be learned.

Reaction Score
I'm reading that he was recruited out of HS by Louisville, Baylor, TCU,Boise St and a host of other D1 schools. He poured in 40 in a game in JUCO but looks like he has some baggage.

According to a poster on the SFA board:

"No longer a part of the SFA program. Wish I could say I was surprised. Afraid this one is going to end a cautionary tale. Supremely talented, supremely deficient in other areas..."

There's two Cam Macks, one went to SFA and one to SLC JC. The one referred to in this thread seems to be the JC guy from what's been said.
Wasn't our favorite Illinois coach at SFA when the Cam Mack referred to on the SFA board was recruited for 2017?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I can't believe the whole center vs guard debate is still a thing here. Did anyone see what happened to the offense last year when AG went down? Not that the offense was great before then, but they just couldn't get anything going without AG on the court - especially when Adams was also out.

At the end of the day, next year's team will probably still be 1 year away from what we expect Hurley to deliver. Anyone we are recruiting at this point to play next year (besides PA) is basically there to plug some hole in our roster. I just hope we get the best available talent regardless of what position they play, and preferably someone who can be an impact player in 2021 and beyond (Ntambwe, please.).

Reaction Score
I can't believe the whole center vs guard debate is still a thing here. Did anyone see what happened to the offense last year when AG went down? Not that the offense was great before then, but they just couldn't get anything going without AG on the court - especially when Adams was also out.

At the end of the day, next year's team will probably still be 1 year away from what we expect Hurley to deliver. Anyone we are recruiting at this point to play next year (besides PA) is basically there to plug some hole in our roster. I just hope we get the best available talent regardless of what position they play, and preferably someone who can be an impact player in 2021 and beyond (Ntambwe, please.).

Imagine if Carlton got hurt last year and Cobb was our starter.

Now imagine if Carlton got hurt and there's no Cobb and we have to play Whaley 30 minutes a night with Polley getting 10 minutes a night at the 5.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Imagine if Carlton got hurt last year and Cobb was our starter.

Now imagine if Carlton got hurt and there's no Cobb and we have to play Whaley 30 minutes a night with Polley getting 10 minutes a night at the 5.

Fair point. We're going to have deficiencies in our rotations next year regardless of who gets the last scholarship.

Whoever we bring in, I hope it's a grad transfer. Anyone left on the market with multiple years of eligibility and available to play now most likely isn't going to be an impact player for the future of this program. We shouldn't be tying up any long term scholarships - I have faith in Hurley's ability to recruit a top 15 class in 2020 and consistently beyond.

Reaction Score
Hope you are right but I'm not convinced. He is playing 2G in HS.
1) that’s just false. He’s the PG for Westtown and averaged almost 7 assists this year. Collier was second on the team in assists... nobody close to Gaffney

2) He also played PG in AAU on a team full of 5 stars and averaged 5 APG then too

Reaction Score
1) that’s just false. He’s the PG for Westtown and averaged almost 7 assists this year. Collier was second on the team in assists... nobody close to Gaffney

2) He also played PG in AAU on a team full of 5 stars and averaged 5 APG then too

Ucann has perpetuated this rumor. Not sure why. He's a gifted passer.

Reaction Score
Hurley has said Gaffney’s future is as a pg but that they expect him to play both his first season.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hurley has said Gaffney’s future is as a pg but that they expect him to play both his first season.

And that’s because we already have a stud PG. He is the best player on our team. Guard just isn’t an area of weakness on this team. The least talented of our five guards is CV, and he’s a senior who averaged double figures the last two years.

The drop off at Center is massive. After Josh we have zero. Nobody. We’d have to play Akok or Whaley out of position. I actually think PF will be solid with Akok and an improved Polley. Maybe even Diarra. SF depends on who emerges between Sid, Bouk and Adams, but there is talent there.

This team can absolutely win next year if we get serviceable depth at center and avoid some catastrophic injury.

Reaction Score
Same argument, different thread; what position should we recruit, how many scholarships do we have, should we help one or two under-performers leave?

Reaction Score
And that’s because we already have a stud PG. He is the best player on our team. Guard just isn’t an area of weakness on this team. The least talented of our five guards is CV, and he’s a senior who averaged double figures the last two years.

The drop off at Center is massive. After Josh we have zero. Nobody. We’d have to play Akok or Whaley out of position. I actually think PF will be solid with Akok and an improved Polley. Maybe even Diarra. SF depends on who emerges between Sid, Bouk and Adams, but there is talent there.

This team can absolutely win next year if we get serviceable depth at center and avoid some catastrophic injury.

To say CV is the least talented guard on the team means you believe BA is a better player now or will be in 2019-20. If you're right, the team will be in really good shape.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nebraska this weekend, TAMU May 3-4 and Arizona after that. Deciding by May 11.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To say CV is the least talented guard on the team means you believe BA is a better player now or will be in 2019-20. If you're right, the team will be in really good shape.

We talk all the time about a "talent" infusion. In that context, talent doesn't mean better player right now. Experience matters. I expect BA to be a better player next year than CV was as a sophomore. Note, I don't mean scoring more points. CV was an important scorer, but wasn't a good player, with bad decisions, not sharing the ball etc. Adams will be less impactful, because he's on a better team with more depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom