6'3 PG Cam Mack | The Boneyard

6'3 PG Cam Mack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

#2 Ranked JUCO Player. 3 years of eligibility.

19.1 PTS, 45.6% FG, 33.7% 3PT, 64.6% FT, 7.6 AST, 5.9 REB

Nice but I wonder with our depth at guard if he will be scared off.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
How much can we trust ancillary stats from JUCO? 7.6 AST and 5.9 REB per game is pretty impressive (as a freshman, too). It's hard to teach those skills, a player needs to have a natural nose for the ball which it appears he has. The shooting % from 3 and the line are not ideal but something that can be improved.

Reaction Score
How much can we trust ancillary stats from JUCO? 7.6 AST and 5.9 REB per game is pretty impressive (as a freshman, too). It's hard to teach those skills, a player needs to have a natural nose for the ball which it appears he has. The shooting % from 3 and the line are not ideal but something that can be improved.

Tough to say. Darius Smith was pretty bad at UConn and he still averaged 5 assists and 5 rebounds at JuCo, but this guy put up better numbers than Corey Davis Jr in Junior College and obviously he was really good in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Tough to say. Darius Smith was pretty bad at UConn and he still averaged 5 assists and 5 rebounds at JuCo, but this guy put up better numbers than Corey Davis Jr in Junior College and obviously he was really good in the AAC.

Wasn't he a highly ranked guard?

Reaction Score
It came up in another thread with one of the JUCO guys, but can't trust ASTs at all at that level. That's one of the stats that is rarely accurate

Reaction Score
Can’t speak to how accurate the numbers are but he’s got the reputation of having great vision. And being a great passer. That was his calling card when he was being recruited by SJU.

Reaction Score
I'm reading that he was recruited out of HS by Louisville, Baylor, TCU,Boise St and a host of other D1 schools. He poured in 40 in a game in JUCO but looks like he has some baggage.

According to a poster on the SFA board:

"No longer a part of the SFA program. Wish I could say I was surprised. Afraid this one is going to end a cautionary tale. Supremely talented, supremely deficient in other areas..."

Reaction Score
I wish we had more than 1 open spot. There's a few guys we've shown interest in who would make very nice additions.

Reaction Score
at 6'3" it doesn't come close to addressing the most pressing need - A BIG
Agree we need a big, but I'm not sure it's more important than a 2nd ball handler. Ideally we can add both but I think I'd prefer a PG since we can at least put Whaley at the 5

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree we need a big, but I'm not sure it's more important than a 2nd ball handler. Ideally we can add both but I think I'd prefer a PG since we can at least put Whaley at the 5

Gaffney was recruited as a PG. That's what his role will be for UConn. Scoring PG, like Jalen Adams, for sure, but a PG. Vital is going to need to improve as a ball-handler to earn more time next year as well. Brendan Adams was brought in as a combo as well.

We need a center. Whaley isn't even really big enough to play 4, let alone 5. Maybe if he adds 30 pounds.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was recruited as a PG. That's what his role will be for UConn. Scoring PG, like Jalen Adams, for sure, but a PG. Vital is going to need to improve as a ball-handler to earn more time next year as well. Brendan Adams was brought in as a combo as well.

We need a center. Whaley isn't even really big enough to play 4, let alone 5. Maybe if he adds 30 pounds.
I pretty much agree with you which is why I say we need both. But I trust Whaley at the 5 way more than I trust Gaffney or Vital being the primary ball handler

Reaction Score
You really want to rely on Whaley as your backup center with 5 other guards on the roster? We might have to roll with who we have at guard and hope that gaffney has the skills to play point it gilbet gets hurt.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Hurley's approach is put our name with all the other P5 schools so recruits associate us with quality teams.
Great so now we’re a glorified Grand Canyon? I kid I kid. But seriously I hope there’s real interest here this kid is really really good.

Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with you which is why I say we need both. But I trust Whaley at the 5 way more than I trust Gaffney or Vital being the primary ball handler
I certainly wouldn’t lump Gaffney in with Vital when it comes to handling the ball. Gaffney is much better in that regard. He’s more like Jalen Adams with his handle.

Vital is in the TSam stratosphere of dribbling. Every time he puts the ball on the floor with a man on him, I get a bit nervous.

Reaction Score
Bring him in. Guy will be deadly at UCONN. Shooting % are always 10-20% lower when you get 3000+ ft above sea level due to the thinner air.

Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn’t lump Gaffney in with Vital when it comes to handling the ball. Gaffney is much better in that regard. He’s more like Jalen Adams with his handle.

Vital is in the TSam stratosphere of dribbling. Every time he puts the ball on the floor with a man on him, I get a bit nervous.
Different reasoning, Vital can't/shouldn't handle the ball. I just don't think freshman Gaffney is at his best as the primary ball handler early on. He'll get there but I want to win next year and I don't think him running the point a lot right away is ideal

Reaction Score
Different reasoning, Vital can't/shouldn't handle the ball. I just don't think freshman Gaffney is at his best as the primary ball handler early on. He'll get there but I want to win next year and I don't think him running the point a lot right away is ideal
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul