#6 Iowa - #8Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#6 Iowa - #8Maryland

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Did you see all misses that Boston had while shooting yesterday? In the WNBA she will not be the biggest and most proficient “big” so she will need to shoot 10-18’ shots and she’s not good. Though to her credit she’s a great free throw shooter.
Too many of the WNBA GMs are fixated on size and not shooting skills with the most glaring example of Charlie Colloet being selected #1. I am not AT ALL saying Boston is like Collier as Aaliyah is miles better but I am saying her shooting is suspect.
As more and more teams are using a spread offense, the “5” position needs to be able to shoot.
FWIW, Boston shot 8-16 overall yesterday, including 1-3 from three-pt. land. If you look at 2-pt. range, she was 7-13. As you pointed out, she went 9-11 at the FT stripe, which is another important "must do" in the pro's: if you get fouled, you have to hit the FT's.

I just got off the S. Carolina site and, for the year, Boston is shooting 59% overall and a tad under 80% from the FT line; all while averaging 10 rebounds per game (she had 11 against UConn).

By contrast, my issue with Brink yesterday wasn't that she shot 5-11 (we know she can shoot), but only had 6 rebounds and 0 (zero) blocks. Stanford, as a whole, got outrebounded 34-24. Is this on the whole team (including coaches...where was Prechtel?)? Yup. But one expects a player like Brink to lead the charge.

And that's why I point to Boston, helping the Gamecocks get out of a building with a win, in which the opponent was primed at the pump and executed very well. I think Boston did, too. Gosh knows she got no support from Cooke, who shot 2-13.

Listen, I've got no bet on these boats. I'm just pointing out why I can see Indy taking Boston...and being very happy with the pick and results And while you might think her shooting is suspect now or in the future, she's still currently over well over 50 percent.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
FWIW, Boston shot 8-16 overall yesterday, including 1-3. If you look at 2-pt. range, she was 7-13. As you pointed out, she went 9-11 at the FT stripe, which is another important "must have": if you get fouled, hit the FT's.

I just got off the S. Carolina site and, for the year, she's shooting 59% overall and a tad under 80% from the FT line; all while averaging 10 rebounds per game (she had 11 against UConn).

By contrast, my issue with Brink yesterday wasn't that she shot 5-11 (we know she can shoot), but only had 6 rebounds and 0 (zero) blocks. Stanford, as a whole, got outrebounded 34-24. Is this on the whole team (including coaches...where was Prechtel?)? Yup. But one expects a player like Brink to lead the charge.

And that's why I point to Boston, helping the Gamecocks get out of a building in which the opponent was primed at the pump and executed very well. I think Boston did, too. Gosh knows she got no support from Cooke, who shot 2-13.

Listen, I've got not bet on these boats. I'm just pointing out why I can see Indy taking Boston. And while you might think her shooting is suspect now or in the future, she's still currently over well over 50 percent.
This is not news to you but all pro teams draft on potential. Boston is clearly and I mean CLEARLY the more polished collegiate player, but from a "pro upside" I also think it is clear that Brink has the better upside and will have the better career.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Did you see all misses that Boston had while shooting yesterday? In the WNBA she will not be the biggest and most proficient “big” so she will need to shoot 10-18’ shots and she’s not good. Though to her credit she’s a great free throw shooter.
Too many of the WNBA GMs are fixated on size and not shooting skills with the most glaring example of Charlie Colloet being selected #1. I am not AT ALL saying Boston is like Collier as Aaliyah is miles better but I am saying her shooting is suspect.
As more and more teams are using a spread offense, the “5” position needs to be able to shoot.

To be fair, the entire 2021 draft class was unbelievably weak. Collier had several glaring red flags before she entered the pros (namely getting shut down any time she faced opposing bigs who were skilled).

Boston's face up game is actually quite good--she has good mechanics and when she catches in rhythm she can knock down shots. Her perimeter shot will also improve with time, as it does for most pros. Based on her skill set, I think she's better suited for the pros than her current system at SC. Right now any time she touches the ball she get absolutely swarmed by multiple defenders and has to work through double teams virtually every touch. SC's perimeter shooting is weak so opposing teams heavily sag off of Beal/Fletcher/Johnson to bait them into perimeter shots instead of forcing the ball inside to Boston. In the pros the spacing will be better with better perimeter threats, so opposing teams wont be able to sag on Boston and immediately double/triple team her when she touches it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman
Top Bottom