6/28/2019 - David Benedict (SiriusXM Full Ride Interview) | The Boneyard

6/28/2019 - David Benedict (SiriusXM Full Ride Interview)

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Key takeaways for me:

Mentions half dozen athletic directors that have already called expressing interest in playing us in football if we go Indy. Said they are teams that the fans would be excited to see.

Will save almost 2 million in travel costs going to NBE.

Reaction Score
I think we have to negotiate out of the AAC 1st.
My opinion, we have to play football in the AAC in 2020 and it will be part of the negotiation of exit fees and date of withdrawal. The AAC bylaws indicate a 27 month grace period which means that UConn can't leave for 27 months and the AAC can't throw UConn out for 27 months. Thus, I think there are 3 choices:

1) Leave AAC for the Big East before 2020 football season. Basketball plays in the BE starting in 2020 and UConn is an independent in football for 2020.

2) Leave AAC for the Big East before 2020 football season, but football plays in the AAC in 2020. Basketball plays in the BE starting in 2020 and UConn goes independent in football in 2021.

3) Leave the AAC before the 2021 football season. Basketball plays in the BE starting in 2021 and football goes independent in 2021.

The above 3 scenarios would entail different financial penalties. The ideal outcome from a logistics standpoint is choice 2.

Reaction Score
I would say we won’t have to play in 2020 because part of the exit plan is getting all sports out of the AAC. If AAC wants Football to play in the league in 2020 that’s okay gives UConn time to get some games scheduled when we go independent. Win win. Going independent will let us rebuild in a better fashion. Uconn sports never fit into the AAC because it really just helps out the southern teams and western teams. I like the decision to go independent. We should have done this before the split of the big east.

Reaction Score
In my personal opinion (considering the timing), I don't think the AAC TV deal had any influence. I suspect Benedict didn't have an idea of what the conference was going to get before he already set events in motion. Once the numbers came back, I think he had to go on the offensive to make his case for a move he'd already committed to.
Just the way he frames his answers so carefully.
Coming off the results of the season, he needed a PR win. He said it himself, "UConn is expected to go to the NCAA tournament every year," and with all the Ollie controversy bubbling up beyond that, things have been getting very hot in the hallways he walks each day.

Reaction Score
The AAC contract sealed it. There was literally no point in staying.

I found it interesting that he claimed the contract is not 7 million per year and then later mentioned production. Is it really 7 million minus production costs or is it even worse?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I found it interesting that he claimed the contract is not 7 million per year and then later mentioned production. Is it really 7 million minus production costs or is it even worse?
IIRC, $7M is at the end of the term, and production costs, and capital outlay for production facilities.

Edit: Yep, he says exactly that.

AAC "net number wasn't significant."

CL82: We may end up doing better with the Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Actually, what I believe happened, is when the data came in and Benedict saw how much revenue Football generates as part of the AAC, his enlisted Herbst to try and get football an AAC spot... and have the BE & AAC contracts paying out.

He either greatly overvalued UConn football... or monumentally undervalued UConn football.

It’s all in how you look at it. Like the McMurphy article stated, Benedict is a mite delusional.

Reaction Score

Yes, I estimated that cost here based on what I saw for the PAC-12. It's a really bad contract at the end of the day. To produce an Olympic event it is about $20k a game and that adds up quickly. Plus this would happen to any MBB or WBB game that got pushed to to ESPN+ so it might even be worse than what I'm currently estimating.

Reaction Score
Actually, what I believe happened, is when the data came in and Benedict saw how much revenue Football generates as part of the AAC, his enlisted Herbst to try and get football an AAC spot... and have the BE & AAC contracts paying out.

He either greatly overvalued UConn football... or monumentally undervalued UConn football.

It’s all in how you look at it. Like the McMurphy article stated, Benedict is a mite delusional.
DB knew he wasn't going to be able to stay in the AAC football only. They are fine being Indy

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, I estimated that cost here based on what I saw for the PAC-12. It's a really bad contract at the end of the day. To produce an Olympic event it is about $20k a game and that adds up quickly. Plus this would happen to any MBB or WBB game that got pushed to to ESPN+ so it might even be worse than what I'm currently estimating.

Need to add to capital outlay for AAC production costs. We'd need some infrastructure.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
DB knew he wasn't going to be able to stay in the AAC football only. They are fine being Indy
I'm inclined to believe the posters who suggest that may have been posturing for exit fee negotiation purposes.

Reaction Score

This is a key point that a lot of people with the other schools don't understand. Good job as always @Storrs South.

Plus, like others have said. A lot of that 7 million figure is back loaded in the AAC deal.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I can’t understand why anyone would think this tv deal is good. The schools should gang up and fire Aresco. Guy doesn’t have a clue.

Because the AAC schools that were getting 2 million before will now be getting close to 8 million with UConn leaving, so they came close to quadrupling their money, less their production costs for the ESPN+ crap. I have no idea what that amounts to. I guess it will vary from school to school, depending on how many games they want to put on it. My guess is they'll all net at least 6 million or more, which is three times what they were getting. Not great, but better than before.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because the AAC schools that were getting 2 million before will now be getting close to 8 million with UConn leaving, so they came close to quadrupling their money, less their prodution costs for the ESPN+ crap. I have no idea what that amounts to. I guess it will vary from school to school, depending on how many games they want to put on it. My guess is they'll all net at least 6 million or more, which is three times what they were getting. Not great, but better than before.
I get what your saying but it still doesn’t change the fact he undersold.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Key takeaways for me:

Mentions half dozen athletic directors that have already called expressing interest in playing us in football if we go Indy. Said they are teams that the fans would be excited to see.

Will save almost 2 million in travel costs going to NBE.
It might put the football faithful at ease if he could name the schools that expressed interest in playing UConn as an independent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom