6’6” sophomore is probably top prospect in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

6’6” sophomore is probably top prospect in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They've certainly made a mockery of themselves in the past 6 months.
It’s the Ivies. They have NOTHING but money.

If they wanted to win Big Prizes they’d do so quite easily.

Reaction Score
I'm aware and they aren't serious about sports, I no longer know what they're serious about.
Money and power. That’s it.

The political crap is window dressing.

Reaction Score

Stanford should be killing it then. Maybe it is.

Reaction Score
Stanford should be killing it then. Maybe it is.
It’s a matter of priorities.

They’d also have to significantly relax admissions standards.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It’s just one interview, but I don’t think the kid coulda made it more obvious we’re the run away favorites if we offer. A hard working kid with Yale level academics surely is a good fit culturally for our program, so hopefully we offer soon.

Reaction Score
Is Chief going to follow them into the rest room?

UConn will have a pair of visiting recruits at the game, neither of whom will have to travel far to Gampel Pavilion.

Abdou Toure, a 6-foot-6 sophomore at Notre Dame-West Haven, and Badare Diakite, a 6-9 junior at South Kent School, will be at the game on unofficial visits.

Alternate access:

Pair of top CT recruits visiting UConn men's basketball team's bout with Villanova on Saturday

Reaction Score
Is Chief going to follow them into the rest room?

UConn will have a pair of visiting recruits at the game, neither of whom will have to travel far to Gampel Pavilion.

Abdou Toure, a 6-foot-6 sophomore at Notre Dame-West Haven, and Badare Diakite, a 6-9 junior at South Kent School, will be at the game on unofficial visits.

Alternate access:

Pair of top CT recruits visiting UConn men's basketball team's bout with Villanova on Saturday

Love this!

Reaction Score
I watched him vs. Xavier the other day. Kids is really good. I think someone said he is shooting 48% from 3 and is averaging 22/6/6 as a true sophomore. Stats are always suspect in HS. I'm skeptical on the assists and %s in particular. Someone must have said it in a news article/video? Idk. Game highlights here: Abdou Toure on Hudl

I'm not totally sold but very optimistic on his shooting--all of his makes are generally catch-and-shoot and with the kind of time he isn't going to see in college. Considering he was a non-shooter a year ago? We'll take that... improvement trajectory is there.

Any rumors about where he may want to prep? He plays for Expressions, so I'm sure Tom has been in contact with the coaches.

The only full game I could find is here

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My thoughts after watching every highlight I could find and a full game...not the best sample, so I tried to keep it pretty general.

Overall: Barring a calamity of an AAU season with Expressions, I’d be shocked if we didn’t offer before the end of the summer. If we don’t it’s probably a culture fit. Dominating in the CIAC physically on both ends. Athletic, explosive, violent, strong, moves his feet well… NBA body in the making. Not an Andre-level pure athlete, but might get there with another couple years of S&C.

Offense: Rebound and run potential is there, but the ballhandling is not elite; he’s getting the job done right now, but I’m not sure how it would translate to a higher level. I think it’s IQ more than mechanics because he’s dribbling into traffic without a plan at times, expecting to use his athleticism. Did it at least 3x in the full game I saw.
  • No left hand finishing but only drives left. Seems to always go for the mid-range instead of finishing the drive with his right. Does the Jalen Adams thing cortorting his body to get the right hand layup.
  • 3 point shot is very slow, but seems to be accurate. I may stand corrected on his shooting based on the full game. Saw some off the dribble, catch, in transition. Form looks good and consistent. Keeps his feet really close together for whatever reason.
  • Not a ton of self-creation at this stage… Driving and scoring at the rim in the half court is not a strength. It’s either transition dunks, backdoor dunks, putbacks or 3s.
  • Good looking FT stroke.
  • Passing is fine. Not a “make something out of nothing” passer like an Andre, but a system passer. Assists likely to come to the open man in transition or on a 3-point swing. Potential as a PnR passer there if he can figure out his handles more.
Defense: Racks up block and steals at this level–no surprise. What I like to see is the anticipation and instincts are there. Should translate to prep and/or college (without the gaudy numbers of course). He has elite defender potential if he keeps developing, would be an animal at the front of a press. Saw a bunch of good communication on defense.

• I noticed 4 bad defensive rotations/gambles. Not terrible for his age, especially when he needs to rotate to help less talented teammates frequently.
  • Two silly fouls in the full game.
  • Like most recruits, not always locked in on defense. But seems the IQ is there.
vs SJR

22 mins(ish)

19 PTS
6 REB
4 AST

2 TO
1 STL
1 BLK

4/8 2FG
3/7 3FG
2/2 FT

Not really sure what to call this
Layup
Board
Assist
Steal and then a TO
Rebound and then a TO–gotta stop putting the ball down.
Rebound and miss the mid-range
Block
Lefty drive and finish w/ the right
Board and run
Miss 3
Another missed 3
Missed 2
3 got blocked
3 ball
Left hand drive, righty finish
3 ball
Assist
Missed 3
Missed floater then rebound and fouled at the rim
Rebound and an assist
3 ball
Assist
Missed mid-range
Lefty dribble, right hand layup

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You realize they can’t use their money, right? That said, they also have the richest alumni owning lots of businesses, so yes, they could dominate. But those alumni don’t really care about sports

Reaction Score
If he's 6-6 as a sophomore, I wonder if he has some more growing to do.

I always find it interesting reading about talented freshmen and sophomores. Some stop growing while others have a significant growth spurt where they transition to a different position. Seems the ones continue to grow who have worked on their handle and perimeter shooting sometimes end up being impact players at their position. Conversely, some that stopped growing see their rankings drop and find themselves undersized at the next level.

Seeing he seems like a 6-6 scorer, he could end up a wing or combo forward if he grows a couple inches.

Reaction Score
Has a lot of Mustafa Heron in his game for a CT player comparison.

Toure will probably end up 2-3 inches taller (and has a better wingspan) than Heron, so hopefully that will help him reach the pros. Heron was never quite the same when he came back from Auburn.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
You realize they can’t use their money, right? That said, they also have the richest alumni owning lots of businesses, so yes, they could dominate. But those alumni don’t really care about sports
True. Most schools use sports to increase enrollment. The Ivy's have no need for that. They get valedictorians and salutatorians as well as the who's-who of foreign students and still only accept 10-15% of those. If they ever cared about sports, they could become really good, really fast, but that will never happen because it's completely contradictory to their elite academic and research focused philosophy.

Reaction Score
Were there really no dunks by UConn tonight? That doesn't happen often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom