Votes: 56 44.8%
  • Irwin (Jr)

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Bent (Jr)

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
CD, KLS, Pheesa clearly start

Most, though not all, think Walker will start as well.

Who's got the final spot?

Reaction Score
CD, Williams, Lou, Walker,Pheesa is my guess on how they will line up next year, I think Walker can be similar to Gabby, in rebounder and better at blocking shots, but not sure she would be able to handle some of the centers the team he will be facing next year.

Reaction Score
On the basis that Walker is the fourth, I have selected Williams as my fifth starter.

I think we will have 6 players that are candidates to be starters, not too dissimilar to last year.

Williams not ready
CD
KLS
Walker
Irwin
Collier

Williams ready
CD
Williams
KLS
Irwin
Collier

I see a 7 player rotation with Coombs the guard and Walker the forward off the bench.

My current projected starting lineup for Game 1 next year is Williams will start.

Reaction Score
On the basis that Walker is the fourth, I have selected Williams as my fifth starter.

I think we will have 6 players that are candidates to be starters, not too dissimilar to last year.

Williams not ready
CD
KLS
Walker
Irwin
Collier

Williams ready
CD
Williams
KLS
Irwin
Collier

I see a 7 player rotation with Coombs the guard and Walker the forward off the bench.

My current projected starting lineup for Game 1 next year is Williams will start.

Irwin could be a utility player, but she's not going to start unless she can be a Morgan Valley-type who is great at setting screens and doing the little things.

Reaction Score

Williams not ready
CD
KLS
Walker
Irwin
Collier

Williams ready
CD
Williams
KLS
Irwin
Collier

Irwin is a hard worker and well loved but she is not ready for this level of play.

Reaction Score
Irwin could be a utility player, but she's not going to start unless she can be a Morgan Valley-type who is great at setting screens and doing the little things.

Although the title doesn't specifically state it, I assumed it was asking what would be our starting lineup at the beginning of the season. Granted, I believe Walker will play herself into the starting lineup as the season progresses, hopefully sooner rather than later, but to start of season? I am skeptical.

I should add I actually want to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Things can change between now and next season but if they don't it should be Crystal and Christyn W along with KLS, Napheesa and MW........ONO will take over Azuara's spot as sixth man and hopefully Coombs will be the first guard in off the bench.........frankly I would be thrilled if Batouly was back at full strength because she would be fine as a starter if that were the case.........

Reaction Score
Why is it a for gone conclusion walker starts?

BC has a very good chance to start at the 5. Don’t be surprised.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Spoiler alert. MW will play center next year. Hell, she's 2" taller than our last center and she has the strength to body out opposing centers in the post, while giving them nightmares trying to guard her on the other end of the floor. So the starters will be Lou, Pheesa & MW up front with Crystal and either Molly or Mikayla at the 2-guard to start the season, and hopefully CW as the starter about mid-season, if not sooner.

Reaction Score
I just don't see MW as an assumed starter. I don't see her playing off guard and moving KLS there so MW can start means taking one of your two best offensive players and moving her further from the basket rather than closer.
I also can't see them starting the so-called small lineup with Pheesa playing center defensively.
Therefore I see CD, CW(who will surprise by being more than a complimentary player as a freshman). KLS, Pheesa and Ono(they need her height, speed, mobility. Yes I am crazy that they might start two freshman. I see MW, and then Coombs, Vatouoy and Irwin determining 7, 8, and 9.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I just don't see MW as an assumed starter. I don't see her playing off guard and moving KLS there so MW can start means taking one of your two best offensive players and moving her further from the basket rather than closer.
I also can't see them starting the so-called small lineup with Pheesa playing center defensively.
Therefore I see CD, CW(who will surprise by being more than a complimentary player as a freshman). KLS, Pheesa and Ono(they need her height, speed, mobility. Yes I am crazy that they might start two freshman. I see MW, and then Coombs, Vatouoy and Irwin determining 7, 8, and 9.
Bronx23

Dead on regarding walker.
Dead on with CW
Think ONO is a bit of a project as she walks on to campus. Dont see her starting early but I can be wrong. BC?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am still struggling a bit since the loss but getting back on the horse is probably cathartic, so I write this as my first post back-
No matter what Geno preaches about wanting freshman to “step up” and own the floor, they almost always will defer to the established All-Americans like Gabby, KLS, Pheesa and same as back when Stewie, Tuck and Mo were here. Diana did the same at first as well, lest people forget. Only Maya who joined a less talented team could immediately take over.
Meg showed enough glimpses to me to feel she will be fine. She contributed as much as Crystal Dangerfield did her freshman year and now she needs to make the Sophomore jump.
C.Williams shows tremendous skills and commitment on defense that she may be in the starting lineup by mid-December.
One of our ongoing debates is how some of us see Batouly in her limited minutes and how more fluid she is and looks capable against top notch programs where as Kyla, for as hard a worker, just is a step slow and not as commanding on the flow. She does some things well, like screens and spacing but defensively she is a liability and prone to too many fouls.

One thing this staff needs to assess is their decision or negativity on zone defenses. With ONO coming in, zone will certainly help her and BC. Let’s face it, zone is what won ND the NC so Geno needs to think is personnel and adapt, as all coaches should. If so, than ONO could be our 6th/7th person as a game changer.

Humbly but still sadly submitted-DefenseBB

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMHO the 5 starters for UCONN in 2018-2019 are:

Crystal Dangerfield PG Will become the top PG in Division I
MWalker SG Will follow Crystal Dangerfield with a great work ethic in the off season and come back at top level
KLSamuelson SF A 2x AA, 'nuff said
NCollier PF Another AA, 'nuff said
BCamara C Will channel the ability & heart of Jamelle Elliott and be a huge surprise

CWilliams SG Will continue what she showed in McDonald's AA game
ONO C Will slowly progress to a level that will be valuable help to the team by January

KIrwin F/C Will continue her improvement
Combs G Will show what coaches saw when recruiting her
LGordon G Will also show what coaches saw when recruiting her
MBent PG If she can make her self more offensive minded there could be + minutes for her

IMHO these girls will be on a MISSION to get back to "UCONN LEVEL" of play! Starting this off season!

Reaction Score
Spoiler alert. MW will play center next year. Hell, she's 2" taller than our last center and she has the strength to body out opposing centers in the post, while giving them nightmares trying to guard her on the other end of the floor. So the starters will be Lou, Pheesa & MW up front with Crystal and either Molly or Mikayla at the 2-guard to start the season, and hopefully CW as the starter about mid-season, if not sooner.
I don't think it really matters what combination starts or finishes. I believe this team is going to be overmatched inside defensively and especially on the boards against top 10 teams. And although I like Camara's effort and toughness, she'll be a potential foul out in about every game. I'll be very surprised if Auriemma gets this team to the Final 4.

Reaction Score
Bronx23

ONO's minutes will be based largely on the quality of Batouly Camara's play..........BC was a shadow of herself for most of last season but hopefully she will be much improved moving forward.............Geno's "earn your playing time in practice" philosophy maybe sorely tested next season........I'm pretty confident CW will be an instant starter due to her intelligence and calm on the court in addition to her great skill set while ONO is more raw yet is clearly already able to alter/block shots and rebound at both ends of the floor..........she's already ahead of Z on the defensive end as far as I'm concerned

Reaction Score
Tooly will always be before Irwin next season. Tooly has that fighter instinct in her and she’s real quick.

Reaction Score
As far as freshmen are concerned- I think ONO has a better shot at starting than Williams. They need her more and would be more apt to overlook her liabilities on the floor. I am not as sold on Williams as many of you are. At this point she might be a defensive liability. That is the aspect of her game that really needs work. Much depends on what happens in the off season in respect to both of them.

Reaction Score

Williams not ready
CD
KLS
Walker
Irwin
Collier

Williams ready
CD
Williams
KLS
Irwin
Collier

Would love to see Irwin make 7 or 8 rotation. Appreciate her enthusiasm and commitment but predict her role will remain the same.

Reaction Score
CD, KLS, Pheesa clearly start

Most, though not all, think Walker will start as well.

Who's got the final spot?

This is difficult because you did not specify WHEN. I picked ONO, but that is at the end of the season. I don't see either of the first year players starting right out the gate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom