OT: - 50 years since the break up of the Beatles | The Boneyard

OT: 50 years since the break up of the Beatles

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Within 12 months, the Beatles broke up and Jimi, Janis, and Jim Morrison all died.

Reaction Score
And as good as Lennon, Harrison and McCartney were without each other, it paled in comparison to their body of work together. My favorite line about one of their songs came from Frank Sinatra. He said, after first hearing it, that "Something" ( by George Harrison) was the greatest love song in the last 50 years. Pretty amazing statement from a guy who sang one or two decent love songs himself. Here are my top 5 by the Beatles but I really have a top 50- 1) A Day in the Life 2) In My Life 3) Eleanor Rigby 4) While My Guitar Gently Weeps 5) Here Comes the Sun. What are yours? Hey CL82, mind if I make top 5 Beatles Songs a thread? If you want to, you can have the honor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My favorite line about one of their songs came from Frank Sinatra. He said, after first hearing it, that "Something" ( by George Harrison) was the greatest love song in the last 50 years.
He liked it so much he always introduced it wrong, calling it a "Lennon and McCartney tune." That still bothers me, than again I was never much of a Sinatra fan.

Reaction Score
Hey CL82, mind if I make top 5 Beatles Songs a thread? If you want to, you can have the honor.

BBall - please do...! I'd suggest you make it a Top 10 or Top 20 though :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hey CL82, mind if I make top 5 Beatles Songs a thread? If you want to, you can have the honor.
Great idea. Go right ahead.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My favorite line about one of their songs came from Frank Sinatra. He said, after first hearing it, that "Something" ( by George Harrison) was the greatest love song in the last 50 years. Pretty amazing statement from a guy who sang one or two decent love songs himself. Here are my top 5 by the Beatles but I really have a top 50- 1) A Day in the Life 2) In My Life 3) Eleanor Rigby 4) While My Guitar Gently Weeps 5) Here Comes the Sun. What are yours? Hey CL82, mind if I make top 5 Beatles Songs a thread? If you want to, you can have the honor.

My favorite, I can't quote it, is from Brian Wilson. It was about 1963, and he was driving on a highway. A Beatles song came on the radio, the first one he'd heard (I Want to Hold Your Hand? I Saw Her Standing There?), and he pulled off onto the shoulder and lay his head on the steering wheel because he knew right away that the Beach Boys were no longer on top of the world.

My top five off the top of my head, will probably change in 15 minutes or so: While my guitar gently weeps; You can't do that; In my life; Penny Lane; Drive my car.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Generally my top five is the last five I have heard (and I listen to the Beatles channel on Sirus a lot!)

I always thought Paul kept John on the road to 'popular' and John kept Paul on the road to 'meaningful' - together they were brilliant, apart they tended too much toward self indulgence.

Reaction Score
Here's my first pass at a Top 20:

1. I'm Only Sleeping
  2. This Boy
  3. The Night Before
  4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  5. You're Gonna Lose That Girl
  6. Things We Said Today
  7. She Loves You
  8. And Your Bird Can Sing
  9. Here Comes The Sun
  10. Dr Robert
  11. Gotta Get You Into My Life
  12. Across the Universe
  13. Tell Me Why
  14. Here, There, and Everywhere
  15. Dear Prudence
  16. Something
  17. I Feel Fine
  18. I Want You (She's so Heavy)
  19. Taxman
  20. Tomorrow Never Knows
  21. In my Life ( Had to add - forgot this one!)

Reaction Score
I'm not sure anyone has ever hit the powerball like Ringo Starr. He was a great personality for the group but when it came to musical talent he just was not in the same class. The funny thing about the Beatles is that at the beginning a lot of people thought they were a flash in the pan and would be pushed out be all the other "boy" bands coming over from England. Fifty years later they are recognized by at least three generations for the genius that they were.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure anyone has ever hit the powerball like Ringo Starr. He was a great personality for the group but when it came to musical talent he just was not in the same class. The funny thing about the Beatles is that at the beginning a lot of people thought they were a flash in the pan and would be pushed out be all the other "boy" bands coming over from England. Fifty years later they are recognized by at least three generations for the genius that they were.

True- but to me Ringo was the emotional glue that held a very volatile group together. John, Paul, and George all possessed huge talents and ambitions, Ringo was the easy going, very amiable and funny guy that could relate to the other 3. And from a talent view, his style of drumming fit exactly what they were looking for - he could easily interpret what the song was and lay down the perfect groove for it. He and George were best friends, John loved him, and Paul was highly protective of him - it was a match made in heaven.

Reaction Score
And the Rolling Stones are still playing packed houses. True genius.

Reaction Score
An interesting thought provocation with the Beatles as, sort of, a backdrop. What would you do if you were in the central character's position? Present the songs as your own? Present the songs but claim they were the work of some invisible-yet-real band (and get labeled a kook)? Let the music die altogether?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
An interesting thought provocation with the Beatles as, sort of, a backdrop. What would you do if you were in the central character's position? Present the songs as your own? Present the songs but claim they were the work of some invisible-yet-real band (and get labeled a kook)? Let the music die altogether?

I would say exactly what happened. Essentially, that before the lights went out there was an incredible band, one of the greatest bands of all time, but that I am the only one who remembers them. So, I, as a public service to the world, will present my renditions of their outstanding songs. It's truthful and everyone would think it was a publicity stunt.

You maintain your honesty, and would still be able to make a living doing what you love. You can always donate to charity or track down and pay the original Beatles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom