50/40/90 Shooters | The Boneyard

50/40/90 Shooters

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Lou needs to improve her FG%

Slacking on her FT shooting too (insert sarcasm emoji). Plum was chasing 50/40/90 her Sr. year. It was the FTs that tripped her up. She was a few % points behind all season and could never quite catch up.

Reaction Score
Slacking on her FT shooting too (insert sarcasm emoji). Plum was chasing 50/40/90 her Sr. year. It was the FTs that tripped her up. She was a few % points behind all season and could never quite catch up.
...or she could lose her job.:eek:

Reaction Score
Maybe Lou should stop shooting 3's until she brings her FG % up. I don't have a solution for her FT %.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe Lou should stop shooting 3's until she brings her FG % up. I don't have a solution for her FT %.

Maybe she should take the FT from 3pt line or mimic her quick curl jump-shot from the corner of the free throw line with a team mate acting as a screener. ;);););););)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Napheesa? I sure seem to remember that Napheesa was a good/excellent free throw shooter in past years. I don't know her percentage this year but she seems to be missing a lot.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Lou was only 4 of 12 from three against Seton Hall. Hit a couple early, then a bunch of misses - some didn't seem to come in the flow of the offense - and a couple late.

Still, that's 12 points on 12 shots, equivalent to 50% from two point range.

And that's why teams are shooting 30 or more of them per game. Shooting 40% from three is equivalent to shooting 60% from two. (4 of 10 provides 12 points, equivalent to 6 two pointers.)

Math lesson over.

I'm puzzled by Napheesa's low FT percentage. Mechanics are ok, maybe pressing a little. Hope we see a "reversion to the mean". ONO gets to the line more than anyone per minutes played, and she is ok but inconsistent (and there was that air ball) - she seems to have a lot of motion, something you rarely see in a good foul shooter.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For non-geeks, the 50/40/90 refers to shooting percentages as in 50% field goal percentage on all shots taken, 40% field goal percentage on threes, and 90% free throw shooting. Field goal percentage is, of course, what percentage of shots are good.

We have some fans of UConn that aren't heavy duty into statistics and may not understand shortcut descriptions.

Reaction Score
Its a natural progression that the All Americans shooting % go down as they are the seniors who garner the most attention from the opposing teams' defenses.
It also makes sense that the underclassman, as they progress, get more shots ( more time too) and their numbers go up.
I think the real surprise is how good Kyla and Molly can shoot when they feel comfortable and take the shots that the opponents give them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here are Pheesa's shooting stats by year:

Freshman: .533/.154/.917

Sophomore: .678/.431/.818

Junior: .583/.344/.786

Senior (9 games): .590/.182/.634

Oddly, there has been a steady decline in her FT shooting. She seems like an .800 shooter. Suggestion: try bouncing the ball before FTs.

Reaction Score
Here are Pheesa's shooting stats by year:

Freshman: .533/.154/.917

Sophomore: .678/.431/.818

Junior: .583/.344/.786

Senior (9 games): .590/.182/.634

Oddly, there has been a steady decline in her FT shooting. She seems like an .800 shooter. Suggestion: try bouncing the ball before FTs.
Elena Delle Donne does not bounce the ball before her free throw attempts and she regularly shoots 90%+

If anything I would say it’s the fact that she has a small “launch” (brings her shooting arm back like a catapult) before her free throw shot. When you launch like that, it tends to increase the difficulty of making the shot (look up a video of Chantel Osahor shooting threes; there’s a video somewhere on how difficult it is to make a shot like that because of the small margin of error that can be allowed in that type of shot). Napheesa’s isn’t terrible, but it might be enough to throw her off.

Reaction Score
We have one 50/40/90 shooter currently, and it's not Lou. Here are some Huskies who are at that mark or close:

Crystal: 52/44/93

Lou: 47/42/85

Christyn: 58/47/80

Megan: 54/40/83

Kyla: 50/80/NA

Molly: 63/50/NA

A team of sharpshooters!
My goodness those percentages are terrible --no one got 100 on anything, terrible!
This IS--the grading thread isn't it?

Reaction Score
Elena Delle Donne does not bounce the ball before her free throw attempts and she regularly shoots 90%+

If anything I would say it’s the fact that she has a small “launch” (brings her shooting arm back like a catapult) before her free throw shot. When you launch like that, it tends to increase the difficulty of making the shot (look up a video of Chantel Osahor shooting threes; there’s a video somewhere on how difficult it is to make a shot like that because of the small margin of error that can be allowed in that type of shot). Napheesa’s isn’t terrible, but it might be enough to throw her off.
DD came from a wealthy family. She had a Basketball coach from an early age and was taught the PROPER techniques for FT's , 3's, layup, jump. This was not a month or so it was years of teaching her. I't IS nice to have money. Geno's video from 15 years ago shows kids how to shoot, and they were free.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My goodness those percentages are terrible --no one got 100 on anything, terrible!
This IS--the grading thread isn't it?
You are a tough grader. But I think even you would be pleased with Tiffany's performance in Italy with UConn when she shot something like 10 for 8, per the official scorer. ;)

Reaction Score
You are a tough grader. But I think even you would be pleased with Tiffany's performance in Italy with UConn when she shot something like 10 for 8, per the official scorer. ;)
I jus wasnn't ain't not tuff grader with my students I had the "gut" courses. You know those that tear your guts out!
Tiff--I loved that kid. She could hit 10 straight one night and miss 7 straight the next. One thing was certain she gave 200 percent every game. There more dents in the Civic Center or Gampel floors from her. She seemed to be more than ready for the big games.
Thanks for not forgetting Tiff, I wish her nothing other than the best of life, she's a worker.

Reaction Score
For non-geeks, the 50/40/90 refers to shooting percentages as in 50% field goal percentage on all shots taken, 40% field goal percentage on threes, and 90% free throw shooting. Field goal percentage is, of course, what percentage of shots are good.

We have some fans of UConn that aren't heavy duty into statistics and may not understand shortcut descriptions.
Thanks HuskyNan, must admit I hadn’t run into this category before.

Reaction Score
Here are Oregon State's TEAM stats through 8 games: 50.1/42.0/70.0.

Oregon State's Opposition TEAM stats: 31.3/27.5/59.4

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I jus wasnn't ain't not tuff grader with my students I had the "gut" courses. You know those that tear your guts out!
Tiff--I loved that kid. She could hit 10 straight one night and miss 7 straight the next. One thing was certain she gave 200 percent every game. There more dents in the Civic Center or Gampel floors from her. She seemed to be more than ready for the big games.
Thanks for not forgetting Tiff, I wish her nothing other than the best of life, she's a worker.
Tiffany was known for her outstanding "floor game." :D

Reaction Score
Napheesa? I sure seem to remember that Napheesa was a good/excellent free throw shooter in past years. I don't know her percentage this year but she seems to be missing a lot.
I checked the stats and you are correct. Her FT% has gone down each year. This year she is at 63.4% hitting only 26 out of 41. Hopefully she’ll pick this up to go along with what looks like a 1st team All-American season currently averaging 18.4ppg and 10.2 boards. FG% of 59% is third on team behind Batouly and Molly!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lou was only 4 of 12 from three against Seton Hall. Hit a couple early, then a bunch of misses - some didn't seem to come in the flow of the offense - and a couple late.

Still, that's 12 points on 12 shots, equivalent to 50% from two point range.

And that's why teams are shooting 30 or more of them per game. Shooting 40% from three is equivalent to shooting 60% from two. (4 of 10 provides 12 points, equivalent to 6 two pointers.)

Math lesson over.

I'm puzzled by Napheesa's low FT percentage. Mechanics are ok, maybe pressing a little. Hope we see a "reversion to the mean". ONO gets to the line more than anyone per minutes played, and she is ok but inconsistent (and there was that air ball) - she seems to have a lot of motion, something you rarely see in a good foul shooter.
Legs play a big role in free throw shooting. If you were Napheesa and had to battle down low on every play, get hammered by women 30+ pounds heavier, and run hard 90% of every game's minutes, you would likely miss a few foul shots as well. When the game is on the line, she is likely the most consistent option on team with her 10 footers.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Legs play a big role in free throw shooting. If you were Napheesa and had to battle down low on every play, get hammered by women 30+ pounds heavier, and run hard 90% of every game's minutes, you would likely miss a few foul shots as well. When the game is on the line, she is likely the most consistent option on team with her 10 footers.

Point is, though, that she shot 82% from the line as a sophomore and 79% as a junior, and is shooting 63% this year. Opponents didn`t get bigger this year (in fact Shepard got smaller ;)). She averaged 30 minutes a game as a soph, 29 as a junior, and 30 so far this year.

I think she is really an 80% free throw shooter and is just in a little slump that will correct itself.

And if I was getting hammered by women 30+ pounds heavier than me, I`m sure I would miss more than a few foul shots. And that would be the least of my worries! :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom