5 Takeaways From The Ohio Game | The Boneyard

5 Takeaways From The Ohio Game

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When did the press decide it always has to be 5?

Five takeaways from UConn women's win over Ohio State

The newbies get a lot of attention, so this about Crystal was good to see:

"Crystal Dangerfield — an already talented and experienced point guard — has only gotten better since last season, and she’s only a junior. Her speed, athleticism and leadership on the court were on full display against Ohio State. She recorded 18 points, five rebounds and four assists.

“She’s gotten so much better, no question. Crystal’s just a different player,” Auriemma said. “She’s got so much confidence — and real confidence, not fake like she had freshman year. It’s real because she’s worked really hard at it and she knows she can make shots from a lot of different places.

“The other area where she’s grown tremendously is she got knocked around pretty good today. She would’ve been out two weeks as a freshman if any one of those things happened. … And now like you saw today, she’s not coming out of the lineup. She’s not coming off of the court. So all the things you hope for a kid to become, I think it’s happened. I don’t know that there’s a lot of guards in the country that can take the ball and go where she goes whenever she wants to. As I said, our starters are pretty good and she makes us go.”

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I disagree with her comment "Defensive concerns overstated." Had Ohio St been able to get their shots to drop early on the score would have been a lot closer. They missed lots of bunnies. The team was also outrebounded. When KLS is forced to play defense deep in the paint 'cause they got nobody else then there is reason for concern.

Reaction Score
Given the injury history of 2 of our 3 stars, I would like to see more substitutions. For example I would like to see Mikayla on the floor with Christen together. Mikayla's development could be a critical factor down the road to the NC.
Less playing time for Lou, more playing time [especially when the outcome of the game has already been determined] for ONO would lessen the probability of Lou getting hurt. Plus, ONO would learn more by playing with starters.
I just don't see why I am coaching instead of Geno.:DHead bang

Reaction Score
While I hesitate to criticize a Hall of Fame coach, that's part of being a fan. Have to agree with Sonny - cringed at watching Crystal in there taking a beating with 6 minutes left in game and up by 30. Then gets injured and needs to leave game. Replaced by Lou at a time when game is at a sloppy point? Both players have gotten hurt later in the year the past two seasons. What did their playing at the end of a blow out accomplish versus potential risk later in year (or now if Crystal has a broken nose or other injury).

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Given the injury history of 2 of our 3 stars, I would like to see more substitutions. For example I would like to see Mikayla on the floor with Christen together. Mikayla's development could be a critical factor down the road to the NC.
Less playing time for Lou, more playing time [especially when the outcome of the game has already been determined] for ONO would lessen the probability of Lou getting hurt. Plus, ONO would learn more by playing with starters.
I just don't see why I am coaching instead of Geno.:DHead bang
Most of us don't see it either! ;)

Reaction Score
I agree with Sonny ...for a few years now I have criticized Geno for playing starters when he has a 30 -40 pt lead. Lou who is not The strongest player is out there and Ono is sitting. If or is it when Lou goes down the season is over. Ono needs to be developed period. Why not put her in with some of the starters.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've always felt that game minutes are important for team building. I think that is especially true early in the season. To me it seems logical that the coaches would want their rotation getting as many minutes together as possible. Game minutes are also rewards for the starter's skills and hard work in practice.
Another consideration is that these athletes are not wimps. I'm sure that this wasn't Dangerfield's first shot in the snot locker and I'm just as sure that Samuelson knows how to fall. Besides, if ONO gets more game minutes she might get injured. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen any stats but my guess is that injury wise practice may be as dangerous as games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When did the press decide it always has to be 5?

Five takeaways from UConn women's win over Ohio State

The newbies get a lot of attention, so this about Crystal was good to see:

"Crystal Dangerfield — an already talented and experienced point guard — has only gotten better since last season, and she’s only a junior. Her speed, athleticism and leadership on the court were on full display against Ohio State. She recorded 18 points, five rebounds and four assists.

“She’s gotten so much better, no question. Crystal’s just a different player,” Auriemma said. “She’s got so much confidence — and real confidence, not fake like she had freshman year. It’s real because she’s worked really hard at it and she knows she can make shots from a lot of different places.

“The other area where she’s grown tremendously is she got knocked around pretty good today. She would’ve been out two weeks as a freshman if any one of those things happened. … And now like you saw today, she’s not coming out of the lineup. She’s not coming off of the court. So all the things you hope for a kid to become, I think it’s happened. I don’t know that there’s a lot of guards in the country that can take the ball and go where she goes whenever she wants to. As I said, our starters are pretty good and she makes us go.”[/QUOTE

Last season I probably led the critiques on Geno, some I still believe he deserved. However, not winning the FF or NC is not one of them.
In recent articles, videos, etc Geno is the CHEERLEADER for nearly everyone on this team. Hurrah!. During the game he pulled Coombs. Last year that meant she'd never be seen again. This year she was instructed (as was CW) and sent back in (as was CW). If this is the new and improved Geno, Hurrah!
The defense dropped off after the first half; this is early season conditioning isn't where it shall be in a month. Katie Lou or Precious said they were tired in the second half and that caused less than great decisions (paraphrasing) and that is correct. Geno knows the weaknesses.
Coombs played well for not really playing at all last season, and sitting and rehabbing, she is a talent and talent can't be hidden (when healthy) Expect the best from her, and she'll deliver. I feel the same way about Gordon. The Bench down to Molly should be used early and often (as Geno did in the Ohio Game) in blowouts.

Reaction Score
While I hesitate to criticize a Hall of Fame coach, that's part of being a fan. Have to agree with Sonny - cringed at watching Crystal in there taking a beating with 6 minutes left in game and up by 30. Then gets injured and needs to leave game. Replaced by Lou at a time when game is at a sloppy point? Both players have gotten hurt later in the year the past two seasons. What did their playing at the end of a blow out accomplish versus potential risk later in year (or now if Crystal has a broken nose or other injury).
Sign me up for this same position.

Reaction Score
I agree with Sonny ...for a few years now I have criticized Geno for playing starters when he has a 30 -40 pt lead. Lou who is not The strongest player is out there and Ono is sitting. If or is it when Lou goes down the season is over. Ono needs to be developed period. Why not put her in with some of the starters.[/QUOTE

I agree with most of what you and others say about developing young untried players for end of year use. Ono should have been given the same treatment as Coombs/CW. Pull her, teach her, send her back --repeat, repeat repeat. I'm a firm believer that you can practice until the cows come home and fall flat during games. You learn in practice, hone your learning in games. I'm no Geno can't even hold his shoelaces. Further, I'm not in his practices, nor do I see his planned progression for each player. I believe in my method. Yet, I don't have to develop the most qualified, hard playing, believing kids in WBB. It is easy to critique, much easier than Geno has it reading or hearing my BS.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I've always felt that game minutes are important for team building. I think that is especially true early in the season. To me it seems logical that the coaches would want their rotation getting as many minutes together as possible. Game minutes are also rewards for the starter's skills and hard work in practice.
Another consideration is that these athletes are not wimps. I'm sure that this wasn't Dangerfield's first shot in the snot locker and I'm just as sure that Samuelson knows how to fall. Besides, if ONO gets more game minutes she might get injured. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen any stats but my guess is that injury wise practice may be as dangerous as games.
Samuelson has proved she does NOT know how to fall!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I remember Stewie being on the floor a lot. Used to scare me to death. But she knew how to fall.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I disagree with her comment "Defensive concerns overstated." Had Ohio St been able to get their shots to drop early on the score would have been a lot closer. They missed lots of bunnies. The team was also outrebounded. When KLS is forced to play defense deep in the paint 'cause they got nobody else then there is reason for concern.
Forced to play defense in the paint? She should be playing defense in the paint at 6'3". Stewart and KML did it and still got their outside shots. She is usually the tallest UConn player on the floor and a team their size needs her playing inside defense. Collier and Walker are shorter and they are expected to play interior defense. Also, it will help her succeed at the next level.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's not always about height. Banging under the basket isn't exacly a big part of Samuelson's skill set.

Stewart was Stewart and KML never played defense - anywhere.

Reaction Score
What I saw was the coaches putting in at least one starter with the bench players for exactly the reasons stated above. He played the bench a lot in the first half also. The starters need game minutes to get in game shape. I personally loved the use of the bench (especially Mikayla) as it showed they were really looking at combinations. You can't have it both ways. If you don't use the starters when game is out of hand who is supposed to help the bench players as the starters would only get to play like a quarter.

PS I'm sure excited to attend live my first ever UConn game on Saturday. Hope to get to see them ALL be great! :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom