#5 greatest upset? | The Boneyard

#5 greatest upset?

Reaction Score
ESPN ranks the loss last night as the #5 upset of all time in sports. No mention of the L'ville over Baylor, which I would think is a much more surprising upset. After all this was supposed to be a rebuilding year.
What were the rankings of Louisville and Baylor at the time? Last night was #4 taking down #1 - something that happens all the time in men's basketball and football. I think more of a weight is given to the fact that it broke a streak. If UConn was on an 11 game instead of 111 game winning streak, would it still rank as the 5th greatest upset?

Reaction Score
I totally agree Louisville over Baylor ... with Sims and Griner... was much bigger.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Louisville was a much bigger underdog. The ranking is only justified based on the streak and the mystique.

The only way to measure objectively is to compare point spreads. Any one have that info?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not much of an upset at all in my mind. The only reason is that it ended the streak, but any team in a final four having won 4 games, taken out the second favorite in the previous game, should not be taken lightly or be considered much of an upset. If Baylor had beaten Miss State and then won this game it would have been no surprise at all. Everybody seems to have forgotten that 36 games ago this team was not ranked #1 and there were real valid questions about both experience and team make up because they had no real post presence or depth. Everybody brought up those same questions after 33 wins heading into the tournament and identifies Baylor with size and a decent back court and Maryland with not as much size but a better overall back court as the two teams that would have a good chance of derailing Uconn. Miss State wasn't on the radar, but they have size, a good back court, better defense, and are the hottest team in the tournament with experience.

There was always a very narrow margin of error, and Geno talked about disguising weaknesses - well a team finally had the ability to expose those weaknesses and for whatever reason in an important game this season, this team failed to rise up to an occasion and play their absolute best. they played well and the margin in regulation was 0, and they played well in OT and the margin was a single bucket at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
Agreed. No way in the world was this anywhere close to as big an upset as ESPiN is building it as. They're going solely by the aura of the winning streak, which this year's team was part of only a fraction of, and this was not the team of the past 2 seasons with Brianna Stewart & company. And what was MSU, a 2 seed? They're a very good team and showed it.

Reaction Score
Is this limited to women's college basketball? Or "all sports"? If the latter, then I respectfully disagree. Probably not even in the top 100.

Reaction Score
I was surprised UConn was considered a "heavy, heavy favorite" going into the tournament. They had beaten the other top seeds but (at least to me) they didn't seem overwhelming and unbeatable. Perhaps it was the comparison to last year's team - that would have been an upset for the ages!
I wonder if it hadn't been for the streak (most of which had little to do with this group) if the hype and ESPN expectations would have been so high.

Reaction Score
The only way to measure objectively is to compare point spreads. Any one have that info?

Here you go eebmg...
Odds & Picks for Mississippi State vs Connecticut on 3/31/17
I had heard 20 so 19.5 makes sense to someone other than myself. I thought going in what happened might happen. I don't see any #2 seed in any sport being a 20 point dog to a #1.
Again just my opinion but I think ESPN has it blown way out of proportion due to the winning streak. Had Tulane been able to finish back on 2/18 the conversation may have been a more sensible fit.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
IMO this was the most colossal failure of any team in the history of the game. The greatest coach ever with three AAs can't win a championship. Stunning!

Reaction Score
I suspect that some folks, after witnessing UConn's dismemberment of Oregon, might have
begun to believe that this team was unbeatable. But most UConn fans, and certainly Geno,
knew better.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
IMO this was the most colossal failure of any team in the history of the game. The greatest coach ever with three AAs can't win a championship. Stunning!
Where have you been all this time?

Reaction Score
They were AAs because of team play. You do realize we had an undersized roster? Baylor's loss to UL is way worse than this. Please.

I am not a woman's basketball fan; was following the production of this season, though. Geno is a genius.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What were the rankings of Louisville and Baylor at the time? Last night was #4 taking down #1 - something that happens all the time in men's basketball and football. I think more of a weight is given to the fact that it broke a streak. If UConn was on an 11 game instead of 111 game winning streak, would it still rank as the 5th greatest upset?

Weight is also given to the magnitude of the game and the fact that it was a gutsy buzzer beater win. I can't think of a bigger moment in women's basketball in the last 10-15 years. The streak definitely plays a part in its significance, but even if you just look at this year's team, they were 36-0 and had waltzed through the most brutal schedule in the country with Geno at the helm. No one thought Mississippi State had a chance. Go look at the prediction thread and you'll see that.

On a different argument, I also think it's a product of how far ahead of everyone else people thought UCONN was in 2017, and how little parity the game has seen over the last 20ish years. Since 1995, Tennessee or Connecticut has won 16 of 22 championships. Connecticut had lost 1 game in 4 years. They've also made 10 straight Final Fours and had won 6 of the last 8 championships. 4 of those were undefeated seasons.

Even in an off year, they were undefeated through 36 games and looked unbeatable most of the 2nd part of the season. They played one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country and had an average MOV of 33 points. In the regionals they won by 15 against UCLA and fans were disappointed with the performance. Can you think of a men's game where that has ever happened in the Sweet 16? 2 nights later they rebound and win by 38 in the Elite 8.

It's the biggest upset I've ever seen in women's basketball. I thought Mississippi State had zero chance to compete in this game, let alone win the game. UCONN has been a machine under Geno and appeared to be so far ahead of anyone else in women's basketball. Louisville/Baylor is second to me because I didn't think Baylor was as good as this UCONN team was. I never expected an undefeated dominant UCONN team led by Geno to lose in the Final Four to a team like Mississippi State. Baylor was also up and down that year with the Stanford loss, a close win at UCONN, and just an 8 point win in the Big 12 tournament. Many thought it would be an epic battle against UCONN if they met in the title game. I thought Baylor was a Final Four lock, and it was a mind blowing upset to Louisville, but it didn't shock me as this one did considering the level of excellence Geno and Connecticut have maintained over the last 22 years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Where have you been all this time?
@easttexastrash I am very glad to see that you are posting again. You have been missed and mentioned a few times by those of us that "get" you. Just out of curiosity how did your team which was a number 1 seed in MSU's region make out?

Reaction Score
ESPN ranks the loss last night as the #5 upset of all time in sports. No mention of the L'ville over Baylor, which I would think is a much more surprising upset. After all this was supposed to be a rebuilding year.

I think the Idiots are trying to make up stories. Miss State is a good team, They beat some good teams along the way, and highly rated. They had size, good guards, and good coaching. Uconn was undersized and didn't play very good. Miss State played great defense but Uconn missed allot of uncontested shots, and layups. How they say this is the 5th worse upset is ridiculous. Uconn is young and no height. There going by the past reputation. It takes away from what this team has done all year, and from Miss State winning.
I would like to congratulate this team and there surprising year. You have surpassed all of our expectations for you this year. There are allot of jealous Uconn haters out in the woman's basketball world including reporters and some a some basketball analysts. Please ignore these jerks and hold your heads up high and be proud off all you accomplishments this year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I agree that point spreads is an objective measure, but the contention about greatest upset is based more on psychology than math. 75% or so had UConn in the title game 2.2% (IIRC) had Mississippi State. Keep in mind that this measure is baised against UConn, becasue many fans of school X will pick their own school to make the title game even if they honestly think that's a stretch, so the 2.2% is largely dreamers, whose dream came through, not a realistic assessment of likelihood.

Reaction Score
ESPN ranks the loss last night as the #5 upset of all time in sports. No mention of the L'ville over Baylor, which I would think is a much more surprising upset. After all this was supposed to be a rebuilding year.[/QUOT

L'ouville over Baylor was the real stunner, opening the door for us to show ND to the door.

Reaction Score
Weight is also given to the magnitude of the game and the fact that it was a gutsy buzzer beater win. I can't think of a bigger moment in women's basketball in the last 10-15 years. The streak definitely plays a part in its significance, but even if you just look at this year's team, they were 36-0 and had waltzed through the most brutal schedule in the country with Geno at the helm. No one thought Mississippi State had a chance. Go look at the prediction thread and you'll see that.

On a different argument, I also think it's a product of how far ahead of everyone else people thought UCONN was in 2017, and how little parity the game has seen over the last 20ish years. Since 1995, Tennessee or Connecticut has won 16 of 22 championships. Connecticut had lost 1 game in 4 years. They've also made 10 straight Final Fours and had won 6 of the last 8 championships. 4 of those were undefeated seasons.

Even in an off year, they were undefeated through 36 games and looked unbeatable most of the 2nd part of the season. They played one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country and had an average MOV of 33 points. In the regionals they won by 15 against UCLA and fans were disappointed with the performance. Can you think of a men's game where that has ever happened in the Sweet 16? 2 nights later they rebound and win by 38 in the Elite 8.

It's the biggest upset I've ever seen in women's basketball. I thought Mississippi State had zero chance to compete in this game, let alone win the game. UCONN has been a machine under Geno and appeared to be so far ahead of anyone else in women's basketball. Louisville/Baylor is second to me because I didn't think Baylor was as good as this UCONN team was. I never expected an undefeated dominant UCONN team led by Geno to lose in the Final Four to a team like Mississippi State. Baylor was also up and down that year with the Stanford loss, a close win at UCONN, and just an 8 point win in the Big 12 tournament. Many thought it would be an epic battle against UCONN if they met in the title game. I thought Baylor was a Final Four lock, and it was a mind blowing upset to Louisville, but it didn't shock me as this one did considering the level of excellence Geno and Connecticut have maintained over the last 22 years.
You make a good case.

Reaction Score

No way no way no way this is near as close to Baylor vs Louisville. Not even close. Just a week earlier we really didn't blow out UCLA and we were playing in CT.

IMO it just goes to show how ESPN just doesn't follow women's basketball.

Reaction Score
I think ranking this by ESPN is part of the network's quest to generate excitement.... During football season on monday morning, on any espn show after a quarterback has a great game... the question arises always..... IS HE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME? It is so so so silly that ESPN and other sports channels want to escalate hyperbole into the stratosphere....

After the discontinuation of the Tennessee UConn series in 2007, there has not been a lot of sizzle in WCBB in terms of viewer interest.... the Ms State win on Friday probably has helped this a good bit.... the excitement factor.... WCBB has changed so much in the last few years.... and i hope the game grows off of this and other big moments....

But I am always disappointed when ESPN tries to categorize without looking at the whole history.... or be in a hurry to slot a game into historical channel

Reaction Score
What's funny about this is that fans of other schools that have won championships want this to look like it's a huge upset. While many of us are not surprised that we lost. We knew we might not win the championship from the start of the season. That's not a true upset. However, Mississippi State has a chance to turn that into a program defining win.

Thanks for the complimentary perceptions, though. Nice to see you think we're better than your programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom