4th game in Trieste against Celje (Slovenian professional team) | The Boneyard

4th game in Trieste against Celje (Slovenian professional team)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
cdNuEHd.jpg

Game starts at 1:30!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This game is gonna be a little closer...

#Huskies lead Celje 37-36 at half. Celje is outrebounding #UConn and is shooting 57% ... Lou has 17 and Gabby 11 and 4 assts. #HuskItaly

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Shooting 57% and have scored 36 points. Something tells me the Slovenian team is draining the shot clock every possession.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This game is gonna be a little closer...

#Huskies lead Celje 37-36 at half. Celje is outrebounding #UConn and is shooting 57% ... Lou has 17 and Gabby 11 and 4 assts. #HuskItaly

Not surprising about the rebounding since Celje starting 5 is all 6' or taller.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Napheesa will not play for precautionary reasons due to an ankle sprain.

Collier's absence from the game could be a reason why the score is so close at the half. She is such a difference maker on both ends of the court. Her injury gives someone else the opportunity to step and step in to showcase their skills. UConn down by 14 with 10 minutes to go is stunning. :eek:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lots of PT for Megan Walker who had 10 rebounds. Another poor shooting game though at 5-14.

More interesting is that Stevens had one FG attempt and zero rebounds. Hard to think she played much at all.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a weird game - Celje with no assists and no made free throws, but win by 20.

UCONN shoots 32% and gets out-rebounded by 19.

On the bright side, MW has a 13/10 double-double plus a block and 3 steals.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It appears this trip checked all the boxes. Everyone had a great time touring Italy, taking in the tourist attractions and sights, and sampling some of the finest cuisine the Italians have to offer. Seeing first hand things they've only seen in books, film or videos.

Judging by all of the pictures we saw, the team certainly took the opportunity to bond and really get to know one another "off campus" in a stress free environment. They also got a chance to play together for the first time under controlled conditions. The icing on the cake is after these 4 exhibition games, the players and staff now know exactly where the players are, who can do what, and what they need to do individually and collectively to be ready again in November.

Reaction Score
Napheesa will not play for precautionary reasons due to an ankle sprain.

Collier's absence from the game could be a reason why the score is so close at the half. She is such a difference maker on both ends of the court. Her injury gives someone else the opportunity to step and step in to showcase their skills. UConn down by 14 with 10 minutes to go is stunning. :eek:

I wouldn't exactly call it "stunning" that UConn without arguably their best player is getting beat by a pro team that has won it's league the past 6 consecutive years, the Slovenian Cup 5 of the past 6 years, and is the reigning Champion of the international Adriatic League.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I wouldn't exactly call it "stunning" that UConn without arguably their best player is getting beat by a pro team that has won it's league the past 6 consecutive years, the Slovenian Cup 5 of the past 6 years, and is the reigning Champion of the international Adriatic League.

Think the stunning thing was the margin.

Reaction Score
What do we know about this Celje team? How good are they compared with other European pro teams? Anyone have an idea?

Reaction Score
What do we know about this Celje team? How good are they compared with other European pro teams? Anyone have an idea?
Celje won the Adriatic League (WABA) title in 2016-17. The league has teams from Serbia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Montenegro, Macedonia.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Its stunning to me because I was not aware of their opponent's recent victories and accomplishments. If someone posted this, I missed it. So, in absence of knowing how accomplished this team obviously is, it was stunning to me. Especially since without the information you had, we had no reason not to think this team was not on par with the two teams they played earlier in the week, that they beat easily, and by large margins.

We did not know they were playing a mature championship caliber team. Had this team's recent accomplishments been told to us, then we would have been fore warned, and thus not surprised by the eventual outcome. Perspective, that's all we're talking about here. Yours was different than mind, in that you had information I did not, thus you had and different mindset and expectation going in than I did. When was the last time a UConn women's team lost a game by 20 points?...........................stunning!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom