48,000 Applications Received For Class Of 2027 | The Boneyard

48,000 Applications Received For Class Of 2027

Reaction Score
The regional campus model is a total disaster. Students in Hartford county (the area I have knowledge of, but I don't know about others) were admitted to Storrs at a rate of around 25%, meanwhile, out-of-state students have a way higher chance because they can only be admitted to Storrs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The regional campus model is a total disaster. Students in Hartford county (the area I have knowledge of, but I don't know about others) were admitted to Storrs at a rate of around 25%, meanwhile, out-of-state students have a way higher chance because they can only be admitted to Storrs.

This is the way to keep enough kids in-state while getting as many out of state kids and the $$$ they get from out of state tuition plus room and board.

As out of state kids attrite, you backfill them with in-state kids from the regional campuses.

This model is not unique to UConn or the state of CT.

Reaction Score
This is the way to keep enough kids in-state while getting as many out of state kids and the $$$ they get from out of state tuition plus room and board.

As out of state kids attrite, you backfill them with in-state kids from the regional campuses.

This model is not unique to UConn or the state of CT.
This model worked for me many years ago. I only applied to the West Hartford Branch ( I believe). My tuition was cheap and I was still able to live at home and work 30 hours a week part time. I would have preferred to be at Storrs for the social aspect but I have no complaints. Many in my dorm were also branchfers from Stamford, Waterbury or West Hartford when we arrived as Juniors at Storrs. Actually this model probably saved me from flunking out as I was immature at 18.

Reaction Score
Is there any tracker of undergrad enrollment at all campuses ? Interested to see if any regional campus has seen outsized growth over the years.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This model worked for me many years ago. I only applied to the West Hartford Branch ( I believe). My tuition was cheap and I was still able to live at home and work 30 hours a week part time. I would have preferred to be at Storrs for the social aspect but I have no complaints. Many in my dorm were also branchfers from Stamford, Waterbury or West Hartford when we arrived as Juniors at Storrs. Actually this model probably saved me from flunking out as I was immature at 18.
Pretty much my path because I bailed on 1st choice (Dayton for their journo program) after orientation. Had to scramble, couldn't get into Storrs, but Stamford branch took me. Also worked 30+ hrs/week, resulting in academic probation twice, but also crammed baseball in there, and helped start the hockey club. When I finally did get to Storrs, it was like a vacay and got on Dean's List 1st semester there.

Reaction Score
Pretty much my path because I bailed on 1st choice (Dayton for their journo program) after orientation. Had to scramble, couldn't get into Storrs, but Stamford branch took me. Also worked 30+ hrs/week, resulting in academic probation twice, but also crammed baseball in there, and helped start the hockey club. When I finally did get to Storrs, it was like a vacay and got on Dean's List 1st semester there.
What turned you off so quickly at Dayton orientation?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What turned you off so quickly at Dayton orientation?
I didn't read the fine print apparently. My advisor was going to be a priest and I was having major issues with the Church at the time. That and 3.2 beer.

One of my best buds @Stamford High was Bob Kocak, whom most in CT know as DJ Buzz Knight from WRKI I-95, was going to be in my class. And I would've probably had classes with Dan Patrick, who also went to Dayton.

Reaction Score
huge number. Is this because of the common app?
Probably. That and CT families are realizing UConn is a great value. Great school and in-state tuition.

I teach at a public high school here in CT, and I'm hearing many more than usual are being branched this year. Still trying to figure out why.

Reaction Score
UConn is an outstanding university and is heading in the right direction. Add a couple of Nobel prize winners among the faculty, be among the top universities for the number of National Merit Scholars, triple the endowment, triple the amount of university research dollars, open a few more dorms (maybe create a real freshman campus) -- and UConn will be among the top in the nation.

Reaction Score

Isn't there a very high freshman drop out rate at every school, like 40%. In fact, studies show that only 31% of students who enter college (any college in America) get a degree within six years. So the branch system is not a disaster. It is (more or less) on par with the rest of higher education.

I attended the Hartford branch for two and a half years before spending two years in Storrs and earning a degree. The branch helped me figure some things out and the low cost help me make my way though.

Reaction Score
Isn't there a very high freshman drop out rate at every school, like 40%. In fact, studies show that only 31% of students who enter college (any college in America) get a degree within six years. So the branch system is not a disaster. It is (more or less) on par with the rest of higher education.

I attended the Hartford branch for two and a half years before spending two years in Storrs and earning a degree. The branch helped me figure some things out and the low cost help me make my way though.
Per UConn:
“With 93.0% of students staying on for a second year, University of Connecticut is one of the best in the country when it comes to freshman retention.”

Reaction Score
One other thing. The small size of the Hartford branch allowed me to talk and get to know some of my professors. We all ate in this same cafeteria. I actually made friends with a couple of my instructors.

Per UConn:
“With 93.0% of students staying on for a second year, University of Connecticut is one of the best in the country when it comes to freshman retention.”
Does that include the branches.

Reaction Score
One other thing. The small size of the Hartford branch allowed me to talk and get to know some of my professors. We all ate in this same cafeteria. I actually made friends with a couple of my instructors.

Does that include the branches.
Storrs only.
Regional campuses 77-78%

Reaction Score
Class of 2028:

-> More than 56,700 aspiring Huskies have already applied for spots in this fall’s entering class – the first time that UConn has passed 50,000 – and the number keeps growing as applications continue to come in for the four regional campuses.

The tally also easily surpasses last year’s approximately 48,000 applicants, which in turn represented a jump over the previous year’snumber of about 43,000. <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Class of 2028:

-> More than 56,700 aspiring Huskies have already applied for spots in this fall’s entering class – the first time that UConn has passed 50,000 – and the number keeps growing as applications continue to come in for the four regional campuses.

The tally also easily surpasses last year’s approximately 48,000 applicants, which in turn represented a jump over the previous year’snumber of about 43,000. <-

I'm curious to know how the rest of the New England flagship universities are doing with their application numbers? (While curious, I'm not googling that to find out).

Initial instinct is it's a reflection of the lack of value parents and high school students see in the many private universities in the northeast. They just don't have that cache' any more. Even UConn out of state tuition is cheaper than many of the private schools in the northeast.

Reaction Score
I'm curious to know how the rest of the New England flagship universities are doing with their application numbers? (While curious, I'm not googling that to find out).

Initial instinct is it's a reflection of the lack of value parents and high school students see in the many private universities in the northeast. They just don't have that cache' any more. Even UConn out of state tuition is cheaper than many of the private schools in the northeast.
I don't know if it's lack of cache or just the rising costs. I do understand that many kids are applying and not getting into UConn, it has become so competitive. I'm not surprised at all at the rising application numbers. Top ranked institution with a lower cost than the privates.

Reaction Score
My kid picked the wrong year to apply to college. Here's what I've seen. My conclusions are purely my opinion.
  • Kids are favoring big public universities. The very top of my kid's class is applying Ivy (or the like), but the next rung down of kids that used to apply Ivy (reach) or high-end private schools, are primarily looking to go to the elite public schools. That's having a trickle-down effect on other solid public schools. University of Maryland and University of Wisconsin, for example. Fine institutions. The applications are soaring, and with better candidates. They are what Michigan used to be (and Michigan is even higher). Why are they applying to those schools? I'm in a relatively affluent town. They aren't applying because of cost. They are just looking for the big school lifestyle.
  • Someone asked about other New England flagships. From what I've seen at our school, they are stagnating other than UConn. They don't give a kid the full big school lifestyle without big sports. UMass has done okay, but URI and UNH which used to get a lot of applications are not getting those applications from our school. Kids would rather go to an SEC school. UVm still gets a lot of applications, but less are going, even though UVm gives merit aid to most.
  • Kids are applying to a CRAZY number of schools. The amount keeps going up. My kid originally wanted to apply to 8 schools. That number increased to 12 because he wasn't going to get into his top choices. We even added a couple of those late. Many kids are applying to 20+ schools. One kid applied to 50! Many are schools that he would NEVER go to. Like a 3.9 unweighted kid applying to University of South Carolina?
  • The applications in our school to UConn tripled this year! I assume it's a combination of bullet point 1, as well as the national championship. We are not expecting good news for my kid despite what I consider a UConn-worthy application. We're hoping for a waitlist decision. All of those kids applying to 20+ schools can still only go to one school in the end. For example, we had 7 kids accepted to Wisconsin. Only 1 is still considering the school as he awaits other decisions.

Reaction Score
One thing about UConn is if applicants don't make it into Storrs, they can go to a branch for a year or two then move to Storrs. Easier to get into branch campuses. The campus in Stamford is strong and has apartments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom