40 Australians WBB Players are Freshmen in US Colleges | The Boneyard

40 Australians WBB Players are Freshmen in US Colleges

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

I was surprised at the Number of Australians that will play College Ball in the US.

I wonder how many Australians in all Classes are playing in the US.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That's a big spike for the incoming Fr. class. So it's not just my imagination that Australians are taking over U.S. women's hoops.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's a big spike for the incoming Fr. class. So it's not just my imagination that Australians are taking over U.S. women's hoops.

I wouldnt go that far..... but they are definitely making an impact.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I wouldnt go that far..... but they are definitely making an impact.

I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole. I would guess they are the most heavily represented country other than the U.S. among the college ranks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole. I would guess they are the most heavily represented country other than the U.S. among the college ranks.

I wonder who is #2 on the list. Canada?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

I was pondering that, I couldn't come up with an answer but you are probably correct. They have a big advantage in proximity.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The Australia youth gbb system is much better than the USA's. There was a HS team in So Cal last year and I asked the coach about it. He was a former So Cal resident so he knows what is here. They teach them skill sets at an earlier age and continue on with it. They do have club teams down under but unlike here they learn too at each age level . Now the actual natural talent of a player is probably better here than there but "overall" skills I think they are better. Plus it seams no matter how big you are you are expected to learn to shoot 3 pointers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet there are at least double the number of Canadians as Australians.

Reaction Score
I believe what you are seeing is a number of these ladies were young girls when Lauren Jackson was at her peak. Jackson had a lot of injury issues that hampered her career but when she was healthy, she was arguably the best player in the world. Penny Taylor was never LJ but she too had.a very successful WNBA career. Given the age of the traditional college freshmen, it is realistic to think the fact those ladies had such successful careers in the WNBA had some degree of influence on the decision for these girls to play in the US.

Reaction Score
Both countries had 1 player on the AP (source) AA 2nd team last year (Stanford's Alanna Smith and Iowa State's Bridget Carleton)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet there are at least double the number of Canadians as Australians.

True, but Canada has a larger population than Australia and it's much closer.

Reaction Score
Data showing a breakdown of player's nationality of the Top 25 Teams (as per Charlie Cream's Way Too Early Preseason Top 25).

2019-20 NCAA WBB Top 25 Teams Nationality.png

Reaction Score

Canadian players have even fewer good options than Australians as the most talented Australians can turn pro at home. Canadians can stay at home in their college system, but obviously the level of play and the benefits received by being a student athlete are much higher here. Also, Canadians can play the American club circuit and even some of their schools can play American teams so they are essentially part of the same recruiting process. Declining pro salaries are a big reason why there have been more good Spanish players choosing college. Australian pay is not great for the non-stars, but I think part of the decision making process for players there has been the ability to get playing time without having to compete with players with a decade more experience, which is part of the reason that more French prospects have also decided to come here.

I believe what you are seeing is a number of these ladies were young girls when Lauren Jackson was at her peak. Jackson had a lot of injury issues that hampered her career but when she was healthy, she was arguably the best player in the world. Penny Taylor was never LJ but she too had.a very successful WNBA career. Given the age of the traditional college freshmen, it is realistic to think the fact those ladies had such successful careers in the WNBA had some degree of influence on the decision for these girls to play in the US.

That's an interesting thought as Australia and the United States have generally had a mutual respect for basketball in each other's countries, unlike the relationship between the United States and most of Europe. I think part of the reason is that technology has advanced to the point where the recruiting process is easier. It's now getting simpler for players who are not the top prospects to get film from local club play that they can easily send to colleges, reducing the mystery level. Australians themselves generally do not believe that their recent prospects are any better than the relative level of prospects that they had in earlier generations and some of them are actually quite critical of the quality of player development there right now.

If your theory is correct, it will be very interesting to see how things change in the next few decades. Australian Rules Football has become a viable professional sports option for women now and it is the first love of many Australian athletes who have been competing in other sports, including many basketball players. Basketball was already behind netball and soccer and also competing with individual sports, but they may now be even further down the list. Here, basketball certainly competes with volleyball and soccer, but is not behind other sports like in Australia.

Reaction Score
That's an interesting thought as Australia and the United States have generally had a mutual respect for basketball in each other's countries, unlike the relationship between the United States and most of Europe. I think part of the reason is that technology has advanced to the point where the recruiting process is easier. It's now getting simpler for players who are not the top prospects to get film from local club play that they can easily send to colleges, reducing the mystery level. Australians themselves generally do not believe that their recent prospects are any better than the relative level of prospects that they had in earlier generations and some of them are actually quite critical of the quality of player development there right now.

If your theory is correct, it will be very interesting to see how things change in the next few decades. Australian Rules Football has become a viable professional sports option for women now and it is the first love of many Australian athletes who have been competing in other sports, including many basketball players. Basketball was already behind netball and soccer and also competing with individual sports, but they may now be even further down the list. Here, basketball certainly competes with volleyball and soccer, but is not behind other sports like in Australia.

It's just a thought and I could be totally off base. I just remember Jackson and Taylor came in the league as part of the 2001 WNBA draft that is probably still the best of all time. Both women continued to play in Australia and with their national teams even while continuing to support and participate in the WNBA. Both were great ambassadors for Australia and the sport.

I recall no love was lost between Lisa Leslie and Lauren Jackson but overall I would say the Aussies who have played in the WNBA and against the US during international competition have a great respect for one another.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom