4 Women Huskies Make Naismith Watch List | The Boneyard

4 Women Huskies Make Naismith Watch List

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Four Huskies — freshman Paige Bueckers, juniors Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa and redshirt junior Evina Westbrook — were named to the 50-player Naismith Trophy preseason watch list, the Atlanta Tipoff Club announced Tuesday. The award is given annually to the best player in the nation. "

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to all!! I hope Anna gets some love as the season progresses. If she picks up where she left off last season, and has a sophohmore leap, she will be talked about as one of the best players on the team. And THAT'S saying something.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
How does this work? Can an emerging talent be added to the list as the season progresses, or are they locked in to give the award to one of these 50?

Either way, it's nice to be mentioned, but it is really meaningless. I really doubt there's 50 players in the country better than Anna, AND I believe that by the halfway point of the season that will be obvious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those interested there were 5 players named to the Naismith Watch List which didn't appear in any of the Basketball Hall of Fame (BHoF) positional Watch Lists (Source: PG, SG, SF, PF, C).
  • Aleah Goodman (Oregon St.)
  • Dorka Juhasz (Ohio St.)
  • Lasha Petree (Bradley)
  • Lexi Held (DePaul)
  • Lexi Hull (Stanford)
Which means there were 55 players on BHoF not on Naismith (had to be at least 50 as twice as many players listed) including Aubrey Griffin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Paige will be an excellent player, but everyone has put such high expectations on her that it has to be a burden. We'll see how she handles it very soon if all goes well.

Reaction Score
I can't stand putting freshman on these lists but part of me thinks if Paige plays this year to the level I think she can she would be one of the top 50 players...I think we may immediately go to whether a player is in contention but top 50 is totally doable for her.

Again I am perturbed with no AMak on the list. She could end up being the biggest sleeper in the NCAAW this year. If she starts off at the 3 and passing where she left off, add a more in shape body, and whatever improvements she makes in the sophomore leap, that will be one dangerous player!

Reaction Score
Breanna had all kinds of expectations placed on her after she said her goal was to win four championships. Expectations don't get any higher than that.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
For those interested there were 5 players named to the Naismith Watch List which didn't appear in any of the Basketball Hall of Fame (BHoF) positional Watch Lists (Source: PG, SG, SF, PF, C).
  • Aleah Goodman (Oregon St.)
  • Dorka Juhasz (Ohio St.)
  • Lasha Petree (Bradley)
  • Lexi Held (DePaul)
  • Lexi Hull (Stanford)
Which means there were 55 players on BHoF not on Naismith (had to be at least 50 as twice as many players listed) including Aubrey Griffin.

I mentioned it elsewhere, but it's astounding to me that Hull didn't make any of the positional watch lists. Huge miss by somebody.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Paige will be an excellent player, but everyone has put such high expectations on her that it has to be a burden. We'll see how she handles it very soon if all goes well.
Comes with the territory. The legends (DT, Moore, Stewart) can handle the expectations/burden. In fact, they kind of revel in it. We'll see if she falls into that category.

Reaction Score
I mentioned it elsewhere, but it's astounding to me that Hull didn't make any of the positional watch lists. Huge miss by somebody.

Last season Dana Evans wasn't named in the Positional Watch Lists and she ended being named an AA.

Last season of the 15 players named AA, 3 players (20%) weren't on either the Naismith or Wade Preseason Watch List (Dana Evans, Kathleen Doyle and Aliyah Boston). Also Elissa Cunane was only named on Naismith but not on Wade.

1605739683081.png

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what all the hype is about the Naismith watch.

1605741517056.png

It looks like a promotional Citizen watch to me.

Reaction Score
Last season Dana Evans wasn't named in the Positional Watch Lists and she ended being named an AA.

Last season of the 15 players named AA, 3 players (20%) weren't on either the Naismith or Wade Preseason Watch List (Dana Evans, Kathleen Doyle and Aliyah Boston). Also Elissa Cunane was only named on Naismith but not on Wade.

View attachment 61447
Hmm. And they all missed out on the eventual WNBA rookie of the year....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Comes with the territory. The legends (DT, Moore, Stewart) can handle the expectations/burden. In fact, they kind of revel in it. We'll see if she falls into that category.
I'm betting that Paige of the swaggy game has it covered.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Nice. I can't wait for the season to start. I am still in count down mode :).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom