4 Super conferences means one thing.... | The Boneyard

4 Super conferences means one thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
....a football playoff system is coming. At the very least it makes it much simpler for a playoff, 4 super conf champs and the runnersup, 4 or 5 at large spots, and maybe 1 each for what's left of the Big East and Big 12.

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I think Super Conferences strengthens the current system. This is a consolidation of power and wealth amongst the elite. The Super Conferences increase the gap between haves and have-nots. 2 teams from each Super Conference and 2 at-larges for ND/little conferences.

Reaction Score
If ND decides to remain Indy then they are truly idiots...ND must go to B10

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I think Super Conferences strengthens the current system. This is a consolidation of power and wealth amongst the elite. The Super Conferences increase the gap between haves and have-nots. 2 teams from each Super Conference and 2 at-larges for ND/little conferences.
I don't know, I think it makes it tougher to promote the many BCS bowl games and makes it that much tougher to have a computer crown the National Champ.

Reaction Score
I don't know, I think it makes it tougher to promote the many BCS bowl games and makes it that much tougher to have a computer crown the National Champ.

O, let's say each team has a championship game. That's 8 and each game is now meaningful!!! Then you have a final four. That's 7 games....The money would be huge....How do you work in a few at large slots? I have a hard time finding something that works in that scenario.

Reaction Score
to be honest i fully expect those that get left out of the "Super conferences" to band together and push for inclusion. From the looks of it, it may be a number of central schools like Iowa St, Baylor, Boise, BYU, and add in Houston, Hawaii, ECU, South Fla, UCF, maybe Fla Atl, Tulsa, Memphis, Cincinati and they will put tons of pressure to not be left totally out.

Reaction Score
Yah they do, and I think if they are squeezed out, there will be tons of political outrage. I actually think this may end up with 3 conferences of 16, the B1G at 12 unless ND jumps, and a mismash conference of the above. It'll suck, but thats what we're facing, at least for the next few years. The BCS will be forced to include them to keep the politicos at bay.

Reaction Score
....How do you work in a few at large slots? I have a hard time finding something that works in that scenario.
The same way they do it in bball, the selection committee has both at large bids to give out and conf champ automatic bids. However here I would give 2 or 3 even 4 automatic bids to the super conf's, a certain number of at large bids and 1 automatic bid to the smaller conf's. Many of the bowls survive in name only but the BCS goes away.

Reaction Score
The same way they do it in bball, the selection committee has both at large bids to give out and conf champ automatic bids. However here I would give 2 or 3 even 4 automatic bids to the super conf's, a certain number of at large bids and 1 automatic bid to the smaller conf's. Many of the bowls survive in name only but the BCS goes away.

So 3 at large bids and 1 to a small conference? There is no way the powers to be will give 50% of the slots to the guppies. You could get 2 and no more but that places the numbers at 6 which does not work. Now 5 BCS conferences could work, with 3 at large bids, with one going to ND/or another BCS team.

Reaction Score
I've always felt that 5 BCS conferences is where we will ultimately end up. There are too many left out of the 16 team "super conference model and there are a number of traditional programs that have invested too much time and money into their football to just stand by and say "Oh well" This could get ugly.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've always felt that 5 BCS conferences is where we will ultimately end up. There are too many left out of the 16 team "super conference model and there are a number of traditional programs that have invested too much time and money into their football to just stand by and say "Oh well" This could get ugly.
I agree... you're looking at actual political intervention if this occurs... there's too many have nots in the 4 super conference model. What you're going to see is the SEC, the Big 1G, the PAC-whatever, ACC, and what's left of the Big East and Big 12 + Houston/UCF sort of conference.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
They all belong in a BCS conference...this absolutely sucks....
I agree the whole process has me feeling disgusted. There's alot of teams who don't deserve to get F#%d over like WVU, Cincy, USF ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom