4 point line?? | The Boneyard

4 point line??

Reaction Score

Fun conversation between two charming young women who can nail it from three. Small wonder they'd favor a four-point line or 'spots.' Thanks, Geew1992.

As for me, being the dinosaur I am, I'd prefer they move the three-point line back about three of four feet to make it much more of a challenge and return basketball closer to the game it was before three-pointers began their ownership of everyone's hearts, minds and strategy... I know, ain't gonna happen, but I can dream.

Reaction Score
Give women the same size ball as the men or at least reduce the size of the rim accordingly first. Adding a point for a further shot just waters down the game and brings more poor shot choices into the game. If a team plays poorly enough to get down they shouldn't be rewarded at the end by hitting a couple longer shots. I do like the idea of moving the 3 point shot back to make it more difficult.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Personally, I would like for the current small circle to be moved out to about an 8' radius and if the shooter touches inside the circle before or after the release of her shot it's worth one(1) point.

As well as the current rules of the circle to go away.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Fun conversation between two charming young women who can nail it from three. Small wonder they'd favor a four-point line or 'spots.' Thanks, Geew1992.

As for me, being the dinosaur I am, I'd prefer they move the three-point line back about three of four feet to make it much more of a challenge and return basketball closer to the game it was before three-pointers began their ownership of everyone's hearts, minds and strategy... I know, ain't gonna happen, but I can dream.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer they move the three-point line back about three of four feet to make it much more of a challenge and return basketball closer to the game it was before three-pointers began their ownership of everyone's hearts, minds and strategy... I know, ain't gonna happen, but I can dream.
Three-pointers are the only thing holding basketball back from a complete devolution into rugby.

Reaction Score

3 or 4 feet or inches? lol

Jim

Reaction Score
I have to confess, I find Caitlin Clark draining logo 3’s the moment she crosses half court pretty entertaining. I’d award her 4 points for those.

PvP

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the originators of the 4 point shot were the Harlem Globetrotters no less so that speaks loudly in my opinion to its sheer entertainment value. Think of how often successful shots from half court show up on Sports Center. People go nuts for these super shots, whether you like the idea or not.

Reaction Score
I have to confess, I find Caitlin Clark draining logo 3’s the moment she crosses half court pretty entertaining. I’d award her 4 points for those.
What is crazy, is that on many of those shots she is being defended! This year, Clark is playing like a visitor from another planet. Anyone other than her for POY would be a travesty! No disrespect for other players, but it's Clark, then everyone else!

Reaction Score
What is crazy, is that on many of those shots she is being defended! This year, Clark is playing like a visitor from another planet. Anyone other than her for POY would be a travesty! No disrespect for other players, but it's Clark, then everyone else!
Agreed.
If all she did were those long threes, she would just be a notable outlier. But she handles the ball, can drive to the hoop, has many assists and rebounds. The core of Iowa's season. POY.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

I think shots from half court and beyond should be 2 points. As much luck as skill. The whole purpose of the 3 point line is to reward longer range skill.

Reaction Score

Are you an old time Wes ( Poughkeepsie Popper) Balansukia (spelling suspect) Uconn long ball shooter Fan? Wes, before the 3 came into existence lit up the old field house from half court--often! For 2 points.
I'd have no issue with adding a point to shots from the half court or beyond.

If there were changes to be made, I'd return to the "contact rule as it once was--any contact of body parts as a foul, meaning the hand anywhere making contact is a foul. Today, wrestling matches --which means the physically larger has the advantage, --occur on nearly every possession.

In recent history--there was an "emphasis" for "hand checking", that's gone.. Now they hand check in the face or wrist in the neck.

Talented kids like Azzi, Paige or Lou shouldn't put their bodies on the line just to play a game.

Over physicality in the Men's game is why I stopped going to Uconn men's games.. Basketball was supposed to rely on Talent not brute force.

Reaction Score
I think shots from half court and beyond should be 2 points. As much luck as skill. The whole purpose of the 3 point line is to reward longer range skill.
Obviously for the "average" player half court shots are 80 per cent luck, 10 per cent strength, an 10 per cent hand eye coordination. However, at least in the Men's game, we've had some Uconn guys that could hit 40 or more percent from beyond half court. Sue Bird didn't take them often but when she did she scored more times than not.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Obviously for the "average" player half court shots are 80 per cent luck, 10 per cent strength, an 10 per cent hand eye coordination. However, at least in the Men's game, we've had some Uconn guys that could hit 40 or more percent from beyond half court. Sue Bird didn't take them often but when she did she scored more times than not.
Seriously 40%? Sample size?

Reaction Score

Better the focus on 3’s than the obsession with dunking.
Should make THOSE one point in the men’s game and discourage them in the women’s

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the originators of the 4 point shot were the Harlem Globetrotters no less so that speaks loudly in my opinion to its sheer entertainment value.
Did you see that as the Final Jeopardy answer a few weeks ago? I think it speaks to the farce it would be.

PvP

Reaction Score
Did you see that as the Final Jeopardy answer a few weeks ago? I think it speaks to the farce it would be.
I did see that on Jeopardy but I had seen it first on a Biography feature on the Globetrotters a few months ago.

If it was ever done, it would have to be with lines, not circles as clearly the opponents could simply crowd the circles against a team who needed 4 points to win or tie at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the originators of the 4 point shot were the Harlem Globetrotters no less so that speaks loudly in my opinion to its sheer entertainment value. Think of how often successful shots from half court show up on Sports Center. People go nuts for these super shots, whether you like the idea or not.
I agree! Just make the jump circle at the center of the court the four point line for both sides.

Just think of the person who gets spun around and then shots a 4 pointer into the opponent's goal....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom