4-3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

4-3

C

Chief00

No, it’s not.

All I can say is you bought the Randy 2.0 Koolaid and are very wrong. We all want to spend more time with our families and in the perfect town - that’s NEVER has been the life of a young football coach and wasn’t in this case.
Your attacks on his wife are over the top - she was a very nice lady and seemed relatively happy and pleasant the times I met her.

C

Chief00

Building enough roster depth to be competitive or even dominant is a multi-year process, and any recruiting misses set you back. I know it’s tough for the casual fan to understand, so I don’t blame you for not getting it Chief.

See UFC and Cincy.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
All I can say is you bought the Randy 2.0 Koolaid and are very wrong. We all want to spend more time with our families and in the perfect town - that’s NEVER has been the life of a young football coach and wasn’t in this case.
Your attacks on his wife are over the top - she was a very nice lady and seemed relatively happy and pleasant the times I met her.
I’ve never once attacked her or anyone. Just your nonsense fake insider BS.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
See UFC and Cincy.
I see them. And if you don’t see the vast difference in their roster and ours you are blind. Or just have your usual axe to grind.

We will not be successful when our best players are freshmen. We need upperclassmen to have a chance.

C

Chief00

I’ve never once attacked her or anyone. Just your nonsense fake insider BS.

This narrative that Lashlee had to move because his wife hated it up here is just so wrong. You are blaming her for the situation when it was the relationship between Lashlee and Edsall that was the problem.
But because you defend Edsall to the end you throw his charming wife under the bus.

C

Chief00

I see them. And if you don’t see the vast difference in their roster and ours you are blind. Or just have your usual axe to grind.

We will not be successful when our best players are freshmen. We need upperclassmen to have a chance.

We will not be successful until we recruit more talented players and coaches.

Reaction Score
This narrative that Lashlee had to move because his wife hated it up here is just so wrong. You are blaming her for the situation when it was the relationship between Lashlee and Edsall that was the problem.
But because you defend Edsall to the end you throw his charming wife under the bus.
Without a doubt. A wife of a football coach knows the drill. Moving comes with the territory. This is what is known as as a face saving pretext.. like politicians that resign to focus on family. The more plausible answer is usually right: RE didn’t want him there because he was a threat and RE made him miserable. He was pushed out because he was AD Dave’s guy and not loyal to the head control freak.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You don’t get to make up statements and present them as facts. I’m disputing your reasons for him leaving, not blaming anyone, and not defending Edsall to the end. You are the Russian troll farm of the Boneyard. Completely fake news.

Reaction Score
It's a pointless declaration. The 3-3-5 died in game 3 of 2017. Might as well be open about what we are, I suppose.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Crocker had one of, if not the best defense in the FCS at Nova. And it really seems like Edsall has not let Crocker fully implement his system, like he's done to his OC's. I'm not trying to defend Crocker here, because we all have eyes and he is clearly not coaching up the players. It seems they all make the exact same mistakes play after play. I'm just not sure what can be done to correct this right now. We're 2.5 years into recruiting to for a 3-3-5, to get a completely new defensive scheme for next year basically keeps us in the exact position defensively we are now: lost on every play and painfully low on depth.
You may be right, but Crocker has to go for politics and optics. We cannot develop momentum and positive buzz with the (possibly) worst defense in D1 history unless we get rid of someone. That someone is Crocker and his team. On the recruiting trail, Edsall can say, "Yes, we had the worst D of all time. I fired that guy. Now we are building the best D of all time, and I need you to help anchor it. Sign here."

Reaction Score
We have no idea how good or bad the players are. Is their failure to execute fundamentals attributable to their complete lack of talent or to the coaching staff's inability to teach basic skills? You tell me. I don't know.

I watch defensive players throwing themselves at ball carriers feet. Who teaches that? I see DBs who never turn their heads around, is it teaching or bad heads? I watch defensive linemen who glue themselves to offensive linemen. No swim moves, no bull rushes, no nothing. I watch LBs who run into the same gap as the safety. I watch DEs who don't even attempt to set the edge. It goes on and on.

And it happens week after week with no corrections. No development. No improvement. Is it the scheme, the coaches, the players, the climate?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can't stand the 3-3-5. I've never liked it. Ever. In my personal opinion, it's way too soft to stop anyone's running games. And when you look at the offenses we play against in the AAC, they're all uptempo and they all have good rushing attacks. Read run-options are the go-to run plays these days and when you play 6 in the box, you can't set a proper edge and can't play gap control. Then you have to rely on a safety coming down to make a tackle. When he does that, the entire defense is vulnerable to play action and big plays against. Hence, our 2018 defense.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This entire thread chafes my back side.

And for many of the reasons that folks have already pointed out. From the "we don't have enough down linemen" to the fact that we haven't run the 335 for over a year despite having recruited a bunch of DB types, to the fact that Edsall brought Crocker here without letting him live or die based on his own concepts. And make no mistake; this comment that Edsall made is likely the final signal that Crocker is gone.

I wish Crocker the best in his future travels. We've wasted a lot of people's time and money over this past two-year charade...

Reaction Score
I can't stand the 3-3-5. I've never liked it. Ever. In my personal opinion, it's way too soft to stop anyone's running games. And when you look at the offenses we play against in the AAC, they're all uptempo and they all have good rushing attacks. Read run-options are the go-to run plays these days and when you play 6 in the box, you can't set a proper edge and can't play gap control. Then you have to rely on a safety coming down to make a tackle. When he does that, the entire defense is vulnerable to play action and big plays against. Hence, our 2018 defense.
Well the whole point was to be able to have two hybrid safeties who could play in the box if needed. We just never did anything exotic.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Although a fairly reliable news hound reported this on January 4th, 2018:

“The draw to be closer to home for Lauren and I (with 4 young kids) was something we could not pass up,” Lashlee said in a statement. “There is no doubt in my mind the UConn program is moving in a great direction under Coach Edsall’s leadership.”

The truth is Rhett hated Randy - Chief Certified.

Rhett must be a real weasel for not telling the media the truth considering he already had a job lined up - good riddance. We don't need anymore fibbers around UConn athletics.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well the whole point was to be able to have two hybrid safeties who could play in the box if needed. We just never did anything exotic.

Yup. And our safeties are undersized and way too slow. The 3-3-5 really only works when you have elite safeties that can also cover TEs in the pass game. That's a luxury that not many colleges...heck, not many NFL teams...have.

C

Chief00

@JMick - you are fighting a losing battle - it’s not working and getting worse. Defending this stuff is a real stretch.

C

Chief00

You may be right, but Crocker has to go for politics and optics. We cannot develop momentum and positive buzz with the (possibly) worst defense in D1 history unless we get rid of someone. That someone is Crocker and his team. On the recruiting trail, Edsall can say, "Yes, we had the worst D of all time. I fired that guy. Now we are building the best D of all time, and I need you to help anchor it. Sign here."
True, he will throw Crocker under the bus to try to save himself.

Reaction Score
@JMick - you are fighting a losing battle - it’s not working and getting worse. Defending this stuff is a real stretch.
What are you even talking about? What did I say that's false? Thats the whole point to running the scheme and we never did it lol. You are a casual football fan, keep your nonsense to yourself

C

Chief00

Although a fairly reliable news hound reported this on January 4th, 2018:

“The draw to be closer to home for Lauren and I (with 4 young kids) was something we could not pass up,” Lashlee said in a statement. “There is no doubt in my mind the UConn program is moving in a great direction under Coach Edsall’s leadership.”

The truth is Rhett hated Randy - Chief Certified.

Rhett must be a real weasel for not telling the media the truth considering he already had a job lined up - good riddance. We don't need anymore fibbers around UConn athletics.

I don’t believe I used the word hate. I seldom use that word, although others do here. Assistant Coaches, if they are smart, don’t burn their bridges. That’s not how you become a head coach. Can’t believe you take these canned PR statements seriously. In large companies after someone gets whacked - you see the spend more time or closer to family stuff. True, that’s always nice - but not driving the bus.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I just want to point out that Chief has never met Rhett Lashlee’s wife, and any claims that he has are 100% lies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom