4-3 | The Boneyard

4-3

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

No doubt this will please many of you, and I would think this signals an imminent departure on the defensive staff.

Don’t expect any miracles as long as we don’t have the depth to start upperclassmen though.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Was Crocker ever given a real shot at implementing his Defense? Honestly? I know his D required different personnel that we didn't have right away but I haven't seen his scheme at all.

This is looking a lot like how RE handles his Offensive coordinator. They do it his way, whether they like it or not.

We could save ourselves some cash and when Crocker moves on, just let Randy take over D calls. He basically makes it be that way anyway.

The final whistle can't come quick enough this weekend.

Reaction Score
Was Crocker ever given a real shot at implementing his Defense? Honestly? I know his D required different personnel that we didn't have right away but I haven't seen his scheme at all.

This is looking a lot like how RE handles his Offensive coordinator. They do it his way, whether they like it or not.

We could save ourselves some cash and when Crocker moves on, just let Randy take over D calls. He basically makes it be that way anyway.

The final whistle can't come quick enough this weekend.

Crocker had one of, if not the best defense in the FCS at Nova. And it really seems like Edsall has not let Crocker fully implement his system, like he's done to his OC's. I'm not trying to defend Crocker here, because we all have eyes and he is clearly not coaching up the players. It seems they all make the exact same mistakes play after play. I'm just not sure what can be done to correct this right now. We're 2.5 years into recruiting to for a 3-3-5, to get a completely new defensive scheme for next year basically keeps us in the exact position defensively we are now: lost on every play and painfully low on depth.

Reaction Score
It just cracks me up that a year ago Randy claimed that there was no possible way to run a scheme that used 4 down lineman because we just couldn't recruit the guys for it, and now one year later we need 4 down linemen.
In a pass heavy league like the AAC, theoretically a 3-3-5 makes the best sense to slow down some of these high powered offenses we see every week. It just seems like Edsall is falling back into his old habits and needs to have his fingers in every aspect. Almost has if his coordinators are more just honorary positions that just do what Edsall says

Reaction Score
Lol @ the 4-3. How do all these other teams stop the run in base nickel? Because in the AAC you are going to get rolled through the air in a 4-3

Reaction Score
Lol @ the 4-3. How do all these other teams stop the run in base nickel? Because in the AAC you are going to get rolled through the air in a 4-3
What will we do play cover 2 with safeties 20 yards deep so we get dink dunked to death all game? I just don't understand what he's trying to accomplish here by changing schemes at this point

Reaction Score
What will we do play cover 2 with safeties 20 yards deep so we get dink dunked to death all game? I just don't understand why he's trying to accomplish here by changing schemes at this point
He's probably just out of ideas lol

Reaction Score
It just cracks me up that a year ago Randy claimed that there was no possible way to run a scheme that used 4 down lineman because we just couldn't recruit the guys for it, and now one year later we need 4 down linemen.
Aka Randy logic.

Reaction Score
He's probably just out of ideas lol
Probably at this point. My only idea would to be blitz the house every play. We're going to get torched anyway, might as well let the defense pin their ears back and see if they can actually get to the QB

Reaction Score
Happy to hear this. I don't think we can find the 3-3-5 personal as successfully as we can find 4-3 players. Mainly on the line.
If we're in the 4-3 on 1st down and the other team is in 10 or 00 personnel how are we going to cover the receivers?

Reaction Score
Probably at this point. My only idea would to be blitz the house every play. We're going to get torched anyway, might as well let the defense pin their ears back and see if they can actually get to the QB
Which, ironically, is what you're supposed to be able to do in the 3-3-5. I don't see how we never ran the actual scheme.

Reaction Score
What will we do play cover 2 with safeties 20 yards deep so we get dink dunked to death all game? I just don't understand what he's trying to accomplish here by changing schemes at this point
He mentions the 4 2 5 which is basically nickel.

I prefer the 4 3. Shouls have run it last year. Ormsby and Luke were ideal ends for it.

Reaction Score
If we're in the 4-3 on 1st down and the other team is in 10 or 00 personnel how are we going to cover the receivers?

OLB position needs big speed and physicality upgrade. We are using 2 LB's most downs now.

C

Chief00

“We haven’t had the opportunity to recruit the way we need to recruit since we have gotten here”
What on Earth is Randy talking about? Why don’t we have the opportunity to recruit? Who’s holding him back? And why?

C

Chief00

In a pass heavy league like the AAC, theoretically a 3-3-5 makes the best sense to slow down some of these high powered offenses we see every week. It just seems like Edsall is falling back into his old habits and needs to have his fingers in every aspect. Almost has if his coordinators are more just honorary positions that just do what Edsall says
Bingo - That’s why Lashlee left.

Reaction Score
LBs are really weak. The DBs are even worse. 4-3 should at least plug the run up between tackles problem in theory. Once we plug the run between tackles and get outside leverage on the ends with 4 down linemen, we will have to handle the pass cover vulnerability. We will get picked a part until we begin disguising pass cover and using different personnel packages based on down and distance situations. This a rebuild of basic sound defensive principles that players can execute. We recruit real football players instead of loading up on DBs and tweeners, and we will be fine.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We have been running a 4 man front on what seems like 70% of the snap this year with 20% as a five man front and 10% as a three man front. 4 man front seemed the foregone conclusion for next year unless we saw a dramatic increase in the ability of Devaughn/Uguak/Pace on the ends and Travis Jones as NT.

I don't mind Edsall coming out to say the migration to the 3 man front has been canceled. It doesn't seem possible it could work until we can dramatically increase the abilities of the LB and DBs. What seems more obtainable would be to play a 4-3-4 with three LBs with standard level of D1 ability and somehow land a single + level corner and safety to pair with an avg corner and safety.

Reaction Score
We have played 5 defensive backs two consecutive years in an effort to stop the pass and it has been a disaster. Glad we are going back to old school UCONN defense. Its not like these 4 wide receiver sets were never seen 10 years ago. How did we beat Baylor and West Virginia?

Hopefully this means Coyle will try to convert to shutdown corner.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
“We haven’t had the opportunity to recruit the way we need to recruit since we have gotten here”
What on Earth is Randy talking about? Why don’t we have the opportunity to recruit? Who’s holding him back? And why?
Building enough roster depth to be competitive or even dominant is a multi-year process, and any recruiting misses set you back. I know it’s tough for the casual fan to understand, so I don’t blame you for not getting it Chief.

Reaction Score
This defensive scheme under Crocker has been a disaster. Ultimately that's on Edsall. But honestly, what difference does it make 3-3-5, 3-4-4, or 4-3-4. That middle number requires us to have LBs and we are woefully under recruited at that position.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We are one of the worst defenses of all time. Sometimes you just shake hands ansmd agree it didn't work out. At this level of failure, one needs to defend everything you don't change.

RE has specials and the offense competing. The defense gets rolled nearly every play. We've been through how many guys over the last two years? How many alignments?

Get the guys you have into the weight room and start over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom