3X3 Olympic Women's Basketball, who is MVP? | The Boneyard

3X3 Olympic Women's Basketball, who is MVP?

Reaction Score
My vote is for Stephanie Dolson. They all were terrific, but
the combination of deflections, rebounds, scoring, and being
the biggest " hustler" on the court ... she gets my vote and
my thanks. Congrats to Kelsey, Alisha, Jackie, Steph
and Coach Kara Larson and the trainer ( hot humid conditions!)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Close but I give it to Alisha Gray. Some of her hustle plays including the dirty work of blocks and rebounds for a fairly small frame while being an elite driver to the basket broke the tie for me. This would be a very interesting poll question.

Reaction Score

1627485315152.png

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It goes to show how much each player was needed. Stef's size was a tremendous advantage, but as a "big" girl, she has shed some pounds over the years and gotten herself into great shape. Alisha was great as a mid-sized do everything player, and while PG skills aren't necessarily at a premium in the 3x3, Plum is a scoring PG and very capable. Jackie did the best she could. Congrats to all 4 gold medalists!

My heart still breaks a little for Lou. I think the games would have been easier for Team USA had she been able to participate. I know she's thrilled for her teammates but probably still heartbroken at her situation...

Reaction Score
Allisha Gray was the MVP in my opinio.. She’s all over the charts in points, rebounds, blocks, assists, etc. Stef and Kelsey were great and deserving of being in the debate, but Gray was just extra in bringing home the gold.
1F749F1E-1298-48D3-9C47-8E79C10C7D0A.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think maybe Stef served a more important role, but I'd give the slight edge to Gray for all the reasons mentioned. She flat out HUSTLED and was just a scrappy player on defense, rebounding, scoring, and blocks. Stef I think set the tone a lot - she often scored early in games, which forced the defenses to adjust, and man, dealing with a ton of physicality.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO biggest challenge for any 3x3 team is to field a Big with that unique combination of skills required to be successful at 3x3: physical, ability to finish in the paint with either hand, good passer, ability to defend smaller players on switches, rebound, defend the paint, set screens, high basketball IQ with the ability to effectively go from offense to defense and back again in a matter of seconds.

Steph checks all the boxes.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The USA missed Lou's size - with her on the team they still had a 6'4" player on the court when Stef was sitting. And they had four players with strong mid/long range shooting skills.

I thought Young improved her game as the tournament progressed and she did enough to get the team over the hump. USA shooting slacked off as they went through the games.

Great win four all 4 players.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Two thoughts. 1. The MVP should go to the player that was the hardest for their opponents to deal with and contain. I think if a poll was taken of their opponents, Stefanie Dolson would get a lion share of the votes, but then so would Gray.

She was like a relentless gnat that kept buzzing around your ear and wouldn’t leave you alone. I like those kind of gnats, and hope we develop a few on our team.

I wonder if these 4 players will be allowed to defend their status of reigning 3X3 “world” champions in 2024? I sure would like to see that opportunity offered to them by the selection committee.

1627497640322.png

2. Per her WNBA player profile and Wikipedia page, Alisha Gray is listed at 6'0". That shows us how BIG her teammates are. Plum is listed at 5'8" and looks like it here. Jackie Young is also listed at 6'0". Neither one of them look that BIG on TV. Of course Stef at 6'5" towers over all of them, and was a pure "nightmare" to all of their opponents. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think they were both pretty much 50/50 on the badass as well as the MVP. If on the UConn board, let's say it was BigMAMMASTEF, on the NC boards and SC boards they'll say it was AG.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Even after beating world no. 1 France in the qualifying tournament the US was
seeded 8th even behind Mongolia.

Who did the seeding for this tournament?
It is based on the last year or two of Fiba sponsored tournaments and USA doesn't play in many tournaments. They also rank all players world wide and no USA player is anywhere near the top rankings which are somewhere around 50,000 points - USA's best players are somewhere around 12,000 points.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't know who you would have used to replace Stef, had she got sick and not been able to go to Tokyo.
Stef for me, although Gray is a close second.
I can imagine that Jonquel Jones would be pretty good at 3x3, although she probably isn't eligible. Can she get American citizenship? Would that make her eligible?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My heart still breaks a little for Lou. I think the games would have been easier for Team USA had she been able to participate. I know she's thrilled for her teammates but probably still heartbroken at her situation...
Same. It is what it is, but having Lou as the 11th Husky Olympic gold winner would have been sweet.

It just seems that Lou is ill-starred. From her ankle break before the finals freshman year forward. Don't get me wrong, she's had a great career, but it seems like something gets in the way just when she's about to reap the rewards. My heart goes out to her.

Still I won't let that get in the way of my enjoying the fact that Steph is an Olympic champion. Outstanding!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Two thoughts. 1. The MVP should go to the player that was the hardest for their opponents to deal with and contain. I think if a poll was taken of their opponents, Stefanie Dolson would get a lion share of the votes, but then so would Gray.

She was like a relentless gnat that kept buzzing around your ear and wouldn’t leave you alone. I like those kind of gnats, and hope we develop a few on our team.

I wonder if these 4 players will be allowed to defend their status of reigning 3X3 “world” champions in 2024? I sure would like to see that opportunity offered to them by the selection committee.

View attachment 68794

2. Per her WNBA player profile and Wikipedia page, Alisha Gray is listed at 6'0". That shows us how BIG her teammates are. Plum is listed at 5'8" and looks like it here. Jackie Young is also listed at 6'0". Neither one of them look that BIG on TV. Of course Stef at 6'5" towers over all of them, and was a pure "nightmare" to all of their opponents. :D
With Lou of course

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

The seeding was based strictly on points accumulated through FIBA 3x3 tournaments. The US had barely played, so ...

I can imagine that Jonquel Jones would be pretty good at 3x3, although she probably isn't eligible. Can she get American citizenship? Would that make her eligible?
She would be eligible ... to compete for Bosnia and Herzogovina, the country she competes for internationally.

Reaction Score

My understanding is that the " seeding" was based on, literally, years
of 3X3 competitions around the world ( e.g. one was in Mongolia!). For
a player to eligible for the team he/she would have to participate in a
minimum number of these earlier tournaments. In the same fashion
the cumulative "results" of these tournament was the "analytic " factor
in the "seeding" of the eight teams. So.... based on the record of
MANY , MANY, MANY different team " mixes " of players the result was
that France was seeded # 1 and the USA was ranked #8. That ranking
had nothing to do with the quality of the final team at the Olympics. It
also limited who could be a replacement for Katie Lou!. It had to be a
player who had previously participated in sufficient number of those
earlier tournaments. There is probably a more complex answer
but that is the general idea. Thus Spoke Zarathustra

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If you like the 3 x 3 games there is a new tournament this weekend in Klaipeda Lithuania.
The link is below.
Only the USA has a team entered, for countries that were in the Olympics.
The USA team is made up of Cierra Burdick, Linnae Harper, Alexis Peterson and Breanna Richardson.

By the way, most of the qualifying points the USA Olympic players had amassed came from a tournament in December 2019 thru January 2020. The tournament was in Pittsburgh, PA. Besides the 4 USA Olympic players that played in Pittsburgh, I saw Clarendon and Kelly Farris playing on some teams. I am sure there were others, just didnt see other names.

I would think the Fiba 3x3 site on You Tube might show this event.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
PSA: Replay of gold medal game showing now on NBC Sports Network.

The color commentator is fun.

Reaction Score
Definitely Stef. Just the best player in that format. Her height, girth, power, quickness, and savvy, just too much for anyone. I also thought Plum and Gray made excellent cases for themselves for the 2024 5x5 team. Gray is a true lock down defender which is always a weapon in international play and Plum is such a talented offensive player who guarded well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom