3P Shooting for Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

3P Shooting for Next Year

Reaction Score
Just one man’s opinion, but folks here that tout Polley’s 3-point ability are looking through rose-colored glasses. Let me tell you something - he’s not very good. He doesn’t shoot enough 3’s to be effective. He doesn’t shoot unless he’s WIDE open, which makes it easy to close him out. And he doesn’t hit enough shots when he does take them.

The Huskies need better 3-point shooters - on this we all agree. UConn also needs better ball movement and spacing to get better looks for those shooters. The roster, as it currently stands, does not have an outside shooting threat that concerns any opponent. I’m hopeful that this changes for 2021-22.

Just one man's opinion - not a good post.

Reaction Score
True centers are a unicorn in the college game today. Wahab, Mobley are two of them. Where would Sanogo play with Wahab, Mobley at the center spot? Where would Sanogo play with Clingan on the roster? Sanogo would be devastating PF with a true center next to him. We recruited him as a PF and listed him as a F as well. We're playing Sanogo at the C spot out of necessity (is that what we call it nowadays since we technically play 2 fowards and 3 guards? ).

Reaction Score
Just one man’s opinion, but folks here that tout Polley’s 3-point ability are looking through rose-colored glasses. Let me tell you something - he’s not very good. He doesn’t shoot enough 3’s to be effective. He doesn’t shoot unless he’s WIDE open, which makes it easy to close him out. And he doesn’t hit enough shots when he does take them.

The Huskies need better 3-point shooters - on this we all agree. UConn also needs better ball movement and spacing to get better looks for those shooters. The roster, as it currently stands, does not have an outside shooting threat that concerns any opponent. I’m hopeful that this changes for 2021-22.
Correct. Who is our knockdown 3 point shooter next year? It’s Cole I guess. I don’t see how we are a tournament team next year. Hate to be down about it but unless Hurley adds some serious talent we are wishin’ and hopin’. Bouknight is a huge loss.

Reaction Score
you are so very very far off the reservation on this...
Where would Sanogo play with Wahab, Mobley at the center spot?
he would play C...just like he did in our games against USC and Gtwown this year...sanogo and wahab are right around the same size: 6'9 245 versus 6'11 237.

do you think dejaun blair and tyler hansborough were PFs because they were both under 6'9? no they were Cs
Where would Sanogo play with Clingan on the roster?
he would play C...when clingan is a freshman sanogo will be a junior. Sanogo would start that year and then probably go play pro somewhere and clingan would start as a soph
Sanogo would be devastating PF with a true center next to him.
no he wouldnt. did you ever see sanogo and carlton on the floor together? no and he'd make for a far far worse PF than whaley. he cant switch on the perimeter and cant hit 3s at all
We recruited him as a PF and listed him as a F as well.
no we didn't. okafor and sheldon williams were listed as Fs too who cares
We're playing Sanogo at the C spot out of necessity
no we're not. he's the best C UConn has had since oriakhi drummond

Last edited:
Reaction Score
True centers are a unicorn in the college game today. Wahab, Mobley are two of them. Where would Sanogo play with Wahab, Mobley at the center spot? Where would Sanogo play with Clingan on the roster? Sanogo would be devastating PF with a true center next to him. We recruited him as a PF and listed him as a F as well. We're playing Sanogo at the C spot out of necessity (is that what we call it nowadays since we technically play 2 fowards and 3 guards? ).

Reaction Score

Polley averaged 9.4 three-point attempts per 40 minutes. He took three-pointers on 14.2% of possessions while he was on the floor. Who, in your mind, takes enough threes to be "effective?"

Reaction Score
Here is the glaring problem:

SF: Martin/Jackson

Martin shot 32% - Shot 1-17 from the 'Nova game to the end of the season. 3-22 since the Providence game.
And then there's Jackson. He shot 2-17 the entire year. Can't win many games with your SF shooting 3's like this. I can see Hawk/Akok seeing time at the 3.

Sanogo isn't a C. He's a 4 with limited range. He's 6 ft 9. There's guys on a lot of teams with his height banging 3s with consistency.

This where is Clingan comes in as a true 5 in the year after next which will put Sanogo in a position where he can do his most damage.

How long has it been since you've watched a college basketball game? 15 years?

Reaction Score
How long has it been since you've watched a college basketball game? 15 years?
Yup. I think I saw a few 6 9 guys play the point and forward positions in this year's tournament though.

Reaction Score
Yup. I think I saw a few 6 9 guys play the point and forward positions in this year's tournament though.
So then you'd agree we should look at a player's skillset to decide their position and not just say 6'9" = Power Forward right?

Reaction Score
So then you'd agree we should look at a player's skillset to decide their position and not just say 6'9" = Power Forward right?

You and @bendm are right in saying that Sanogo's skillset caters to being a center - albeit having a few more inches to his frame would benefit him greatly.

Reaction Score
Glass half full thought. If Cole is at the 1, Hawkins is at the 2, akok at the 4 (hitting 3s at a decent clip) then we will be ok with Jackson and Martin at the 3 not being great shooters can be more acceptable.
I’ll take off the rose colored glasses and ask this question. If we bring in a marksman to play the 2/3 who does it hurt more, Martin or Jackson? Who’s minutes do you see being the most negatively impacted?

Reaction Score
Glass half full thought. If Cole is at the 1, Hawkins is at the 2, akok at the 4 (hitting 3s at a decent clip) then we will be ok with Jackson and Martin at the 3 not being great shooters can be more acceptable.
I’ll take off the rose colored glasses and ask this question. If we bring in a marksman to play the 2/3 who does it hurt more, Martin or Jackson? Who’s minutes do you see being the most negatively impacted?

Second glass half full thought: shooting is an issue for this team but we've been talking about it so much that the extent of the problem has been blown wildly out of proportion.

Reaction Score
Second glass half full thought: shooting is an issue for this team but we've been talking about it so much that the extent of the problem has been blown wildly out of proportion.
If you just assume some natural progression from a number of our players, we'd be a slightly above average shooting team.

You don't need to bomb 40% average from 3 to be a very good team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you just assume some natural progression from a number of our players, we'd be a slightly above average shooting team.

You don't need to bomb 40% average from 3 to be a very good.
Exactly, we have to get better but reasonable improvements should get us there and we don't have to have a team full of snipers to win like some are implying. We had someone posting yesterday that every single top team the past couple of years was a great three point shooting team. I thought they were absolutely overseeded but Houston got it done this season with the 102nd best three point shooting team, Kansas was the #1 overall seed last season and they were the 117th best three point shooting team.

Reaction Score
Our KenPom offensive efficiency was 27th and our defensive efficiency was 29th. Yes, Bouknight helped immensely, and yes, we clearly could use a playmaker who can get an easy bucket or make big shots. However, getting a ton of offensive rebounds and taking care of the ball also goes a long way. I think we’ll be solid next year either way, but another shooter could raise our ceiling quite a bit.

Reaction Score
No he isn't. You don't think Andre Drummond was a center?
forgot about him. so sanogo is our best C since drummond...that's your only rebuttal to my half a dozen other points?

Reaction Score
forgot about him. so sanogo is our best C since drummond. but that's your only rebuttal to my half a dozen other points?

Look above. ☝️ I mentioned that yes for Sanogo's skill set, it does make him a center.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Exactly, we have to get better but reasonable improvements should get us there and we don't have to have a team full of snipers to win like some are implying. We had someone posting yesterday that every single top team the past couple of years was a great three point shooting team. I thought they were absolutely overseeded but Houston got it done this season with the 102nd best three point shooting team, Kansas was the #1 overall seed last season and they were the 117th best three point shooting team.

Kansas also had arguably the two best defensive players in the entire country.

That’s a tough formula to replicate

Reaction Score

Sure, but if you take out Adams and Bouknight, the team shot 34.8% from three. That's with Jackson (I also didn't count a Hurley make and a Springs miss). But that alone is already almost a point and a half better as a team.

That's .05 worse than this year's Villanova and .04 worse than Alabama.

We can have a very good team that is a legitimate contender if our players just make basic, natural progression in their shooting. Hell, Cole shot 41% from three after February once he got caught up to speed.

Reaction Score

I'm pretty confident UConn will lead the country in blocked shots again next season and have a great team defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom