3P Shooting for Next Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

3P Shooting for Next Year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Second glass half full thought: shooting is an issue for this team but we've been talking about it so much that the extent of the problem has been blown wildly out of proportion.
If you just assume some natural progression from a number of our players, we'd be a slightly above average shooting team.

You don't need to bomb 40% average from 3 to be a very good team.

Or perhaps, figure out why Martin regressed? He was our best 3 point shooter midway through the season. With Jackson, I think we can all be relatively certain that he is working on that part of his game. I would be shocked if Akok isn't working on it as well. I'd be shocked if Sanogo isn't working on adding a face-up 12-15 footer, which would make him even more dangerous.

Gaffney has a really nice looking stroke. I hope he has the confidence to let it fly more often. Too much gloom and doom about shooting here.

Reaction Score
Or perhaps, figure out why Martin regressed? He was our best 3 point shooter midway through the season.
I think he just regressed to the mean. He shot 31.7% on 243 attempts at URI and he shot 32% this year on 50 attempts. He might be able to get that to 35% or so, which would be nice, but this just may be who he is.

Reaction Score
I think he just regressed to the mean. He shot 31.7% on 243 attempts at URI and he shot 32% this year on 50 attempts. He might be able to get that to 35% or so, which would be nice, but this just may be who he is.

Yeah I think Martin is who he is. He's going to have nights where he goes 4-7 from 3 and nights where he doesn't hit anything. Honestly, it's largely the same with his finishing around the rim. He just doesn't have a hell of a lot of touch offensively. When he's on he looks fantastic. His value is in rebounding, running, defending, being a rugged physical presence, and hopefully making the occasional shot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If he didn't get there by going 1-17 or whatever it was, I'd agree. That seemed really odd.

In any event I agree there is room to hope for improvement.

Reaction Score
I'm looking for Gaffney to attack the rim a lot this year. I hope he's working on his shot.

Reaction Score
Tyrese from 3 is hard to figure out. I'd be inclined to agree it was a regression to the mean, but it could also be he didn't have the ball in his hands as much.

Earlier in the season, it was really him or Bouknight driving the offense depending Bouk's health. He shot 44% from 3 while Bouk was out. When Bouk came back, not only was Bouk taking a lot of touches but Cole had also emerged as a legit 3-level scorer. Plus Sanogo had emerged making Tyrese the fourth option. He shot 15% upon Bouk's return.

Could be less a regression to the mean and more of what he experienced at URI with Fatts & Dowtin taking a lot of the touches away from him.

The quality of competition was not any different during his cold streak missing all his 3s in successive games v. Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall and Georgetown again.

My bet is he just started to force the issue with the limited touches he got and then became a mental thing. If he could get to 35% from 3, it could be huge for his game and for the success of the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom