"35-40% chance KO is HC this season" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"35-40% chance KO is HC this season"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As it turns out, Guthridge led them to 2 Final Fours in his 3 years. But in general I agree with you and disagree with that way of doing things.

Two words - Wright State

Reaction Score
And that worked out great for UNC, as did replacing him with a former Dean Smith player.........
Gutheridge had been with the program for as long as Smith practically, not for 2 years. And it was a different era anyway, where players tended to stay longer. He had guys Dean Smith recruited. Far fewer 1 and dones at that time. Then of course they landed a former player with minimal (but at least somel head coaching experience because they wanted to keep it in the family....that worked well...

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Gutheridge had been with the program for as long as Smith practically, not for 2 years. And it was a different era anyway, where players tended to stay longer. He had guys Dean Smith recruited. Far fewer 1 and dones at that time. Then of course they landed a former player with minimal (but at least somel head coaching experience because they wanted to keep it in the family....that worked well...

Obviously they finally got a guy with lotsa HC experience, but still stayed within the family. Honestly I don't think the two programs in two eras are even relative.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was all about Gut getting his high-3.

Reaction Score
Whenever Calhoun does hang it up, this year, next year, or beyond, you can guarantee he's going to do it in September or October to hamstring the administration into taking KO. He's made a few too many references to Dean Smith -- who himself retired in October, forcing UNC to hire his long-time assistant -- for me to believe otherwise.

Make no mistake, even though Calhoun may not be on the sidelines, he's not going to give up the reins.

And the first thing Manuel should do at that point is put the "interim" tag in front of Ollie's name.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And the first thing Manuel should do at that point is put the "interim" tag in front of Ollie's name.

what would have to change his name to after the interim period was over?

Reaction Score
If JC is trying to get KO the permanent HC job I don't see this being the year to do it. A team that will be severely limited in the frontcourt, only playing for a BE championship/pride and not the extra motivation of getting into the tourney, if the team performs poorly under KO that's just more incentive for Manuel to look elsewhere once the season is over.

Reaction Score
what would have to change his name to after the interim period was over?

Listen, if he proves to be a reasonably competent game coach, then I'm all for handing him the keys. Making him "interim" coach is how Manuel shows that his hand is not going to be forced by JC.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Listen, if he proves to be a reasonably competent game coach, then I'm all for handing him the keys. Making him "interim" coach is how Manuel shows that his hand is not going to be forced by JC.
And perhaps simultaneously causes recruits who are keen on Ollie to go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
And perhaps simultaneously causes recruits who are keen on Ollie to go elsewhere.

Perhaps, but he seems to be doing well on that front with a lot of uncertainty now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If JC is trying to get KO the permanent HC job I don't see this being the year to do it.

I disagree. It's now or never. I don't think Manual will let JC pull this Hamlet routine next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom