$30 Million Withdrawal Fee?!? Also a prohibition on playing P5 football? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

$30 Million Withdrawal Fee?!? Also a prohibition on playing P5 football?

Reaction Score
No offense but this crying is embarassing.

If there was an all-sports invite from the ACC or Big Ten, the legislature would pass a special sales tax increase to fund the move.

Hey Soos. There IS NO P5 INVITE
The crying is just part of the grieving process. Everyone knows the exit fee is irrelevant since a P5 offer is never coming anyway. Where else is everyone gonna go to cry if not here?

Reaction Score
Us: we want to join you
BE: We want you as well but we love to act tough about being basketball only Why dont you cut football and come back to us
Us: Nah
BE: What if we put in a really big exit fee that makes it look like we are wielding some kind of powerful hammer and will get some BYers fretting.
Us: Hahaha sure go ahead. Just know if we get an invite we are gone.
BE: oh of course. What do ACC teams make in a year, 30 mil? let's use that as a number.
Us: sounds good. see you thursday

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
or one of the clowns in Miami tonight
This is a joke
I don't care if as some say "Don't worry about it, we'll get it back 1st year in a P5" Why would someone who is practically being begged to join and help a league with it's own issues allow to be played like this? The AAC may suck to some but I am not that desperate to agree to these hostage terms. As far as I'm concerned this is, to some extent, a bailout for Dan Hurley because he realizes how difficult it is to recruit vs the P5s in the AAC - crap, the ones on here with common sense knew that already. It better pay dividends starting tomorrow

Let me guess you didn't try to make a donation to UConn today because you'd know the page crashed. Also, did you try to buy season tickets because they'd tell you call volume has gone up, but of course you trust hot takes from the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
This is horrible math. Let's try this again if we leave the Big East on our own, we will be going to a conference that pays us more than the exit fee. If we get kicked out we don't have to pay. The exit fee doesn't matter. What is so hard to understand.
This assumes the NBE is doing us some big favor here. We get $4 Million. We would collect I believe 7 under the new screw job, fill my pockets for decade Aresco deal. So, our amazing basketball franchise that people will burn down everything for, commands a whopping 4 Million a year. If you think for a second we are going to waltz into a P5 getting a full share of anything you’re out of your mind. As grotesque as the AAC situation is, at least bowl share dollars would be also coming in and we would likely be eligible for a CFP spot once expansion to 8 occurs. It will cost us $10 Million to bail on the AAC and we net down $3 Million a year. So, it will take 2.5 years at 4 Million just to get back to even and will have lost another $7.5 in lost AAC revenue. Thus deal makes no sense whatsoever unless they plan to kill football. The 30 million guarantees no P5 because we will have strangled any chance of a football program, and there is zero chance a P5 is covering 30 Million. I hate to be cynical but the numbers tell you precisely what is happening, and they are lying through their teeth on football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This assumes the NBE is doing us some big favor here. We get $4 Million. We would collect I believe 7 under the new screw job, fill my pockets for decade Aresco deal. So, our amazing basketball franchise that people will burn down everything for, commands a whopping 4 Million a year. If you think for a second we are going to waltz into a P5 getting a full share of anything you’re out of your mind. As grotesque as the AAC situation is, at least bowl share dollars would be also coming in and we would likely be eligible for a CFP spot once expansion to 8 occurs. It will cost us $10 Million to bail on the AAC and we net down $3 Million a year. So, it will take 2.5 years at 4 Million just to get back to even and will have lost another $7.5 in lost AAC revenue. Thus deal makes no sense whatsoever unless they plan to kill football. The 30 million guarantees no P5 because we will have strangled any chance of a football program, and there is zero chance a P5 is covering 30 Million. I hate to be cynical but the numbers tell you precisely what is happening, and they are lying through their teeth on football.

log off

Reaction Score
Us: we want to join you
BE: We want you as well but we love to act tough about being basketball only Why dont you cut football and come back to us
Us: Nah
BE: What if we put in a really big exit fee that makes it look like we are wielding some kind of powerful hammer and will get some BYers fretting.
Us: Hahaha sure go ahead. Just know if we get an invite we are gone.
BE: oh of course. What do ACC teams make in a year, 30 mil? let's use that as a number.
Us: sounds good. see you thursday
This is gold

Reaction Score
1) Again, our TV money will end up more than $4m. There is a very, very good chance we get money for our T3s. Plus we will certainly have something for a football deal.
2) The new AAC deal has us producing our own content for a number of games in a number of sports. This isn't cheap. Real payout is a flat almost $7m until 2032 minus these costs.
3) The buyout drops to $15m by the time the P5 move would come (which it almost certainly will not).
4) We will force up any amount of money to join a P5 if there's an offer at any time because we will then be in the "haves" in college athletics until they cease to exist.

polycom

Reaction Score

This post is brain dead I'm not explaining this again.

Reaction Score
Smh. A lot of smart posters are dead wrong about this. So blind in their support of one option over the other, they can no longer see the obvious.

UConn Forever

Reaction Score

I had to break out the old calculator but he’s right... the math checks out.

0392A68B-1417-4573-AD69-A1DE0768F37A.jpeg

Reaction Score
You’ve explained nothing other than you can regurgitate the pablum fed to you. Simply agreeing to not join a P5 in football tells any person with a modicum of intelligence that UConn is dumping football. It’s a totally gratuitous provision that serves no interests other than Tom Ritter’s backside. No right thinking person interested in salvaging football would cut that lifeline, no matter how remote. God you are dense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

We keep Tier 3 and the buyout drops over time.

polycom

Reaction Score
You’ve explained nothing other than you can regurgitate the pablum fed to you. Simply agreeing to not join a P5 in football tells any person with a modicum of intelligence that UConn is dumping football. It’s a totally gratuitous provision that serves no interests other than Tom Ritter’s backside. No right thinking person interested in salvaging football would cut that lifeline, no matter how remote. God you are dense.

I’m dense and you’re stupid, I’d rather be dense, at least my brain still works.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
he loves penny hardaway and is grieving. thoughts and prayers.
I was going to rock the 80's and make a Keith Lee and Baskerville Holmes reference, but in verifying B.H. played for State I see that he died in 1997. I also see Dana Kirk passed in 2010.
Keith Lee forever!

Reaction Score
EXPERIMENT:

If you could take yourselves out of your presentist mindset for just a split second...

Imagine... If someone put those terms in front of you in 2013

(Terms: "30 million to withdraw", bla bla bla)

To join a conference with:

Creighton...
Butler...
Xavier...
C7...

What a crazy world we live in.

I'll be damned. LOL

Good Point.

Reaction Score
What if UConn FB has a winning season this year and beats a decent team in a bowl game. And at least one BB team wins a national championship and the other one can last a while in the playoffs. Could the ACC or B10 scoop us up in 2020?

Oh my god

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Look I'm not a huge fan of the move, but let's evaluate it honestly. The $7M per school under the new AAC deal is at the end of the term, not the start. The length of the deal is a nightmare and it is going to be a hugely under market at the end of it. But even if the $7M were a real number currently, it is a gross number, not a net one. We have to pay our own production costs. In addition, we'd have to build the infrastructure for are won production costs. We'd lose the ability to have local coverage of are T3 games. That is a big loss to us.

The current NBE deal is probably roughly equal to the AAC deal on a net basis. We will augment it by selling our T3 rights. Bottom line is that we come out ahead in the NBE. The argument is whether it is worth gutting football for that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Look I'm not a huge fan of the move, but let's evaluate it honestly. The $7M per school under the new AAC deal is at the end of the term, not the start. The length of the deal is a nightmare and it is going to be a hugely under market at the end of it. But even if the $7M were a real number currently, it is a gross number, not a net one. We have to pay our own production costs. In addition, we'd have to build the infrastructure for are won production costs. We'd lose the ability to have local coverage of are T3 games. That is a big loss to us.

The current NBE deal is probably roughly equal to the AAC deal on a net basis. We will augment it by selling our T3 rights. Bottom line is that we come out ahead in the NBE. The argument is whether it is worth gutting football for that.

The argument is whether it is worth gutting both basketball programs and football to be in a southern mid-major league for less money when all 3 programs would be better off post move.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
[B]Patrick Eaton-Robb[/B]‏Verified account @[B]peatonrobb[/B] 17h17 hours ago
More

Just FYI...this is the line item for team travel UConn reported to NCAA for FY2018 Team Travel: football: $1,151,379, mensbball: $1,606,775, women's bball: $1,116,920, other sports: $3,444,967. Total: $7,320,041

Patrick Eaton-Robb
Verified account
@peatonrobb
news/sports reporter for AP. Dad and husband
$7M for travel another $4M (I think, it's been awhile since I looked) for the XL, more money for the Rent, fix the way scholarships are accounted for, pull out the student rec charges out of the AD budget, and drop one administration position and we at break even.

Reaction Score
Also saw this post by a Syracuse fan on CSNbbs :

Orangefan:

The Tier 3 deal with SNY signed around 2012 was "more than $1 million per year," so your number is a good one.
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-hus...story.html

The projected payout for NCAA tournament credits next year is around $800,000/school for the AAC and $1.7 million/school for the Big East, so that's another $900,000. The AAC's payout is propped up significantly by UConn's 2014 championship and Louisville's strong tournament run that year, so that number is likely to drop in the future.

UConn's attendance in basketball it's final year in the Big East, 2012-13, was 10,728 per game. In 2018-19 it was 8,652, which was actually a big increase over 7,829 in 2017-18. 2,000 additional fans per game would represent more than $600,000 per season in revenue to the program at the lowest available season ticket price.

According to their Form 990's, the Big East generated $5.2 million in revenue from its conference championships in 2016-17, while the AAC generated $3.2 million. That's an increase to UConn of around $200,000 per year, not to mention the fundraising opportunity created by requiring certain donation levels to purchase BET tickets.

These items by themselves make up for the loss of AAC TV money, and it still doesn't factor in travel related cost savings and any amount of revenue they can get for their TV rights for football.

TJT

Reaction Score
Further confirmation that UConn will not be leaving the Big East for a very long time. Odds are now far better that there will be no football than the school departs the BE.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom